UFC 165: Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson PBP (Discussion)

Carmont and Costa must be pissed they lost FOTN to Jones/Gus

Agree completely. Super tough fight to score, 3-2 for either one was completely justifiable.

I'm Swedish but I didn't really have a strong attachment to Gustafsson until tonight (never really watched any of his fights to be honest)... but after the first 2 rounds, DAMN. Did NOT know he was that good, really amazing performance, Jones showed a lot of heart/composure I think.

Anyway, definitely want to see a rematch but not right away.
I started watching Gus when everybody else did. Shortly after he lost his fight to Davis.

It was known his striking was good, but his wrestling was seen to be a major hole.

He never really faced a relevant wrestler on his way up. So those questions continued up until the title fight.

11/12 (iirc) against Jon is amazing. Nobody has ever done that before. Wrestler's like Rashad and Chael got absolutely ragdolled by Jones. I got to say, if somebody ever asked me why I am an MMA fan, this would be a fight I would show them.

So much surrounding the fight that nobody could tell until the cage door closed. An underestimated challenger, a monster champion, to name the most obvious.

Simply amazing.

NO, the "strikes landed" count is for the entire fight; by Round 4 the total was somewhere around 88-18... and they didn't show it again in Round 5 because they knew it would make the decision look extra bad.

I'm interested to see these figures. I noticed in-fight that Gus was way ahead.

Yeah, I thought of it as a 10-10 but I know MMA fans and judges are phobic of it.

Mostly we found out that Jones just isn't as dominant as the UFC pretended. He was just a really big guy who could throw around smaller-framed dudes.

I don't think the 4th round was 10-9 for Gus. I couldn't score that round, I kept flipping from 10-9 Jones to 10-10. I truly thought Gus won the fight, but that was ridiculously close and I can't be angry with 48-47 Jones. I can be fucking livid with 49-46 though.

I really do wish judges would start allocating 10-10's, as often rounds are too difficult to score for one man.

I'm interested to see these figures. I noticed in-fight that Gus was way ahead.

I was corrected earlier; it was a count of "head strikes". I guess I didn't see a count for total strikes, or leg kicks. Would be nice.

I thought Gus won the first three rounds, the 2nd and third were close but still I thought Gus landed the more meaningful shots and definitely did more damage. I felt also that all those stuffed td attempts should have also weighed heavily in Gus' favor, but the outcome doesn't surprise me though. In fights like this the judges almost always take the decision away from the guy that the crowd thought won.

Jones' kicks are more taekwondo-styled snap kicks. He's very fluid with it. The mid-kick switches were beautiful...

But those kicks don't land with the power of a muaythai-style kick. That's why Gus could check a lot of those kicks with a semi one-arm block. But they land and score though... so it did the job.

Talking to Glover now.

Now see, him I can't see beating Jones. he may be a hard hitter, but he has little head movement and is nowhere near as mobile as Gus.

i imagine it will look like Jones vs Rampage.

Had it 48-47 Gus... but it could probably go either way. Absolutely amazing fight though.

I don't think the 4th round was 10-9 for Gus. I couldn't score that round, I kept flipping from 10-9 Jones to 10-10. I truly thought Gus won the fight, but that was ridiculously close and I can't be angry with 48-47 Jones. I can be fucking livid with 49-46 though.

I really do wish judges would start allocating 10-10's, as often rounds are too difficult to score for one man.

There's no way to score round 4 as a 10-10 round. If the round is close, and a fighter clearly wins the last minute by being aggressive and doing a lot of damage, he wins the round. 10-10 rounds are for rounds that are even..

Gus still have room to improve... I see a Gus vs jones 2 in a year or two.

I missed parts of a few rounds, so I can't give an accurate assessment of who won, but one thing I think people aren't considering is the affect that the "rooting for the underdog" bias, has on most of us. How much of the "robbery!" cries can be attributed to seeing through rose-tinted glasses?

Jones was landing some of the craziest strikes ever man. Superhero shit.

There's no way to score round 4 as a 10-10 round. If the round is close, and a fighter clearly wins the last minute by being aggressive and doing a lot of damage, he wins the round. 10-10 rounds are for rounds that are even..

The first 4 minutes were not close, imo.

Yeah, I thought of it as a 10-10 but I know MMA fans and judges are phobic of it.

Mostly we found out that Jones just isn't as dominant as the UFC pretended. He was just a really big guy who could throw around smaller-framed dudes.

10-10 is not appropriate for high volume rounds. 10-10 is more appropriate for a "staring contest" where both fighters circle around each other without landing significant punches. High volume rounds should be judged on number of strikes and significant damage.

Judges are there to judge, not to please.

Back