UFC 164 only did 270k PPV buys

Expect that number to rise if Pettis keeps kicking people into oblivion and being generally awesome.

155 hasn't drawn much since Penn was the champ and then he got an instant rematch against Frankie. 155 is deep as the Mariana trench, but there just isn't that one guy there that's a superstar like at 170 and above. Penn was that guy, but then he wasn't. And they've never been able to recover from that at that weight class (and below).

Fine by me. The best weight class for free in HD? Yes, please.

This is also how I see it. Not only that but cheaper tickets for live shows for some of the best matchups - saw Henderson-Melendez for ~$200 in the 3rd row, gonna see Pettis-Thomson probably for ~$100 in the middle bleachers. About half the cost of a live PPV headlined by heavyweights

I'm not making excuses, but I thought I would point out that this fight was on the labour day long weekend. I don't know about where you guys live, but where I live a large percentage of people go out of town. I would have been out of town myself if my friends car hadn't broken down. The number would have been somewhat higher on another weekend, can't say by how much though.

155 hasn't drawn much since Penn was the champ and then he got an instant rematch against Frankie. 155 is deep as the Mariana trench, but there just isn't that one guy there that's a superstar like at 170 and above. Penn was that guy, but then he wasn't. And they've never been able to recover from that at that weight class (and below).
They don't necessarily need a superstar. They just need a dominant and recognizable champ like GSP or Anderson. 155 hasn't had that since Penn.

Pettis will be that guy, and then some. You'll learn this.

They don't necessarily need a superstar. They just need a dominant and recognizable champ like GSP or Anderson. 155 hasn't had that since Penn.

That goes hand in hand with becoming a "superstar" though

After the PPV fee 200,000 buys is around 4 million. I wouldn't call that bad, especially given the number of shows they do. I will agree that more is better, but I don't see how it's possible given the number of shows. I'm sure Zuffa has all their numbers dialed in and is doing as well as it's possible to do.

I'm totally fine watching Lightweight title defenses on free TV. Lightweight is my favorite division.

Pettis is sure to be a bigger draw than Ben, though. He's more exciting, better in front of the cameras, etc.

More exciting to watch , yes. Dude sounds like a complete moron in interviews though.

I heard the break-even point of PPV is about 150k.
UFC 164 is profitable for ZUFFA.

A 42% increase from a shit number to another shit number, doesn't change the fact that your increased number is still shit.

I agree Showtime's likely to attract far more PPV buys than Henderson as champ, but I doubt he'll get the chance as I see the LW title staying on Fox cards for awhile

And it's not being negative to say that the LWs and lighter weight classes are drawing less than the other classes, even if that number has increased. It's still a fact that they're not doing well on PPV.

Reminds me of one of my favourite Dennis Miller jokes. Something about how stores that have two for one clothing sales are really fucking you. I mean, two of shit, is shit. If they really want to fuck you, they'll give you three of those lime green chucka suits...

I heard the break-even point of PPV is about 150k.
UFC 164 is profitable for ZUFFA.

It should be less than that

WWE has a lot bigger production & less gate revenue & their break even is half that

why do people act like 270k is a shit number? That literally would beat anything on PPV that isn't a Mayweather fight, a Pacquiao fight, or Wrestlemania

it beats any other boxing, WWE, TNA, or MMA PPV that exists

270k = success, people act like the UFC has to do a million every show or it's a failure, educate yourselves before acting like some kind of expert.

why do people act like 270k is a shit number? That literally would beat anything on PPV that isn't a Mayweather fight, a Pacquiao fight, or Wrestlemania

it beats any other boxing, WWE, TNA, or MMA PPV that exists

270k = success, people act like the UFC has to do a million every show or it's a failure, educate yourselves before acting like some kind of expert.

Exactly
While I do think UFC needs to look at the PPV model differently the model as is still makes money
But too many are going into the 200-275k number & they need to look into that before it goes to 100-150k

That's not a bad number considering how over-saturated the sport seems.

Back