UFC 157 will be a bust

Well in fairness until the PPV numbers come in I don't think anyone can really comment yet.

Well in fairness until the PPV numbers come in I don't think anyone can really comment yet.

Pay per view buys don't = success. Please tell me you were joking. I watch UFC for fights, not Pay Per View numbers.

Pay per view buys don't = success. Please tell me you were joking. I watch UFC for fights, not Pay Per View numbers.
Well I hate to break it to you but the UFC does not measure the success of a PPV based on whether or not Nerdslayer enjoyed it. If the card was entertaining, and Ronda made Sportscenter, and the PPV ended up doing 250K buys, then it's not a success, plain and simple.

I wont be getting this card and I know many other fans who wont either. You have 2 of the best Male MMA fighters in the sport in Lyoto and Hendo and they are getting shit on by playing second fiddle to 2 female fighters they could both beat up with one arm tied behind their back.

Most UFC fans do not want to see women on ppv's when their money could be spent to see top male talent.

It would have been one thing if Dana tested the waters by putting this fight on the under card or even the opening fight on the ppv, but to make it the headline when there is no talent pool for women's MMA looks like amateur hour.

Still can't believe this guy still continue to spew his nonsense on Sherdog post-157 instead of committing e-suicide.

Dana had a good point in the media scrum video. He was talking about how fans were saying Hendo/Machida should have been the main event, and to imagine if that fight went 5 rounds, the UFC would have been boo'd out of the building. Having the Rousey fight as the Main Event was risky, but it delivered and was way more exciting than the co-main.

Well I hate to break it to you but the UFC does not measure the success of a PPV based on whether or not Nerdslayer enjoyed it. If the card was entertaining, and Ronda made Sportscenter, and the PPV ended up doing 250K buys, then it's not a success, plain and simple.

This made me lol.

not necessarily true. If this only did 250k but makes splashes in the media, they could see this is as a good investment for further shows with ronda that will bring in more viewers.

I wont be getting this card and I know many other fans who wont either. You have 2 of the best Male MMA fighters in the sport in Lyoto and Hendo and they are getting shit on by playing second fiddle to 2 female fighters they could both beat up with one arm tied behind their back.

Most UFC fans do not want to see women on ppv's when their money could be spent to see top male talent.

It would have been one thing if Dana tested the waters by putting this fight on the under card or even the opening fight on the ppv, but to make it the headline when there is no talent pool for women's MMA looks like amateur hour.

Rousey will fight twice and be left with no other challenges to face.

Whats the point?

TS, you missed a bunch of great fights!! the only BUST was Machida vs Hendo imo!!

If it did around 250k, it would have sold almost as much as shogun vs hendo lol. Reports are that it exceeded 400k. If it did around 480k then it'd be around Jones vs machida.

not necessarily true. If this only did 250k but makes splashes in the media, they could see this is as a good investment for further shows with ronda that will bring in more viewers.
Perhaps. The question is though, will that media exposure bring in more PPV buys? Are men (who don't currently buy UFC PPVs) going to see a clip of Ronda on Sportscenter and then make a point to see when she's fighting again, and then shell out sixty bucks so they can watch her? Unlikely IMO. Now obviously media attention is good, and the UFC can use Ronda for this, but I have a feeling they will have to tweak things a bit. All of the exposure's great, but I think they're going to learn that they're gonna have to stack cards that she's on in order for the buys to be at the level they're looking for. We'll see though, if this event did 400K+ buys then there's no doubt it was a success. But if it does 250K then I think it's time to realize hype and media doesn't necessarily = PPV success.

UFC 157 draws estimated 15,525 attendance and $1.4 million gate

ANAHEIM, Calif.

Back