UFC 156: Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar Predictions

This fight could go either way.

I see Frankie taking down Aldo at some point. Not sure how much he will be able to do with it - at least in the early going. I think Frankie's got to use his wrestling and cardio advantages to use: chain TD attempts together relentlessly until it wears out Aldo. Push Aldo to the limit as Cain's done with JDS.

That sounds like Frankie's plan, push the pace. Problem is that can leave you vulnerable, particularly against someone with great timing and quickness like Aldo. He'll throw that knee up as you're rushing in. Florian tried the same thing, relentless TD attempts. It seemed to exhaust Florian more than Aldo.

Aldo by stoppage before the championship rounds. Wouldn't be shocked if Edgar managed to get a decision win though. I am still going with Aldo.

That sounds like Frankie's plan, push the pace. Problem is that can leave you vulnerable, particularly against someone with great timing and quickness like Aldo. He'll throw that knee up as you're rushing in. Florian tried the same thing, relentless TD attempts. It seemed to exhaust Florian more than Aldo.

But Frankie has better wrestling and cardio than Florian. Beyond technique, Edgar is just plain *quicker* with his TDs and sets them up far more effectively with his striking

No one's taken down BJ Penn, Gray Maynard, and Benson Henderson with the kind of smoothness that Edgar's shown. Aldo isn't any more immune to Frankie's TDs than those aforementioned studs known for great defensive wrestling

And NEW...!!!

Frankie VIA picking apart Aldo in the stand-up, as per usual.... either that or Aldo kicks the shit out of Frankie's leg for the win but i'm still going with Edgar on this one.

But Frankie has better wrestling and cardio than Florian. Beyond technique, Edgar is just plain *quicker* with his TDs and sets them up far more effectively with his striking

So does Chad Mendes.

Frankie Edgar by UNANIMOUS DECISION.

I want to be on record as the first guy on this thread to call the upset perfectly correct.

Edgar will dominate. Aldo will get taken down, outworked, and outclassed. He will be tired, confused and frustrated by the end.

Yup, I'm agreeing with this.

I'm biased, because I'm a Frankie fan so I'm sure that's a factor but I keep thinking:

a) Hominick was on top of Aldo and having his way in round 5 of that fight. If you're going to be outconditioned and out wrestled by Hominick, Frankie's going to be a problem for you.

b) Frankie is the wrong guy to look past. His best performances have come as the underdog, and with Aldo already talking about future fights...

That being said, Aldo's skill set is sick. Should be a great fight.

Well a got to go with Aldo, but it not going to be that easy i think it going to be a war of 5 round like the Hominick fight. Aldo by UD

I think this will be a quick fight Aldo 1st round KO

Aldo/TKO/2

Who you got?

Jose-Aldo-UFC-129_9875-450x260_crop_340x234.jpg
frankie-edgar_display_image_crop_340x234.jpg

5 round decision

Aldo/TKO/2

Who you got?
I'm favoring Aldo in this encounter, provided he comes in healthy. I anticipate this one goes to decision, with Aldo utilizing a battle plan akin to his fight with Faber, but with a game but more orthodox Edgar.

Edgar really has to take Aldo out of his comfort zone to win this one, which means he has to be able to floor the gas pedal at the right time. Aldo is a patient and very intelligent fighter, whereas I've seen Frankie get touched fairly often and take hellacious beatings at times, while being on the receiving end of unnecessary upkicks during his battles. Frankie cannot afford these types of mistakes.

Again, I'm going with Aldo by decision.

a) Hominick was on top of Aldo and having his way in round 5 of that fight. If you're going to be outconditioned and out wrestled by Hominick, Frankie's going to be a problem for you.
I think this is a reasonable concern, but I don't see Aldo having the problem he did in the Hominick fight. I can't find the source, but I believe Aldo stated he pretty much rode that round out, because he knew he was ahead on the score cards, while Hominick had no other choice but to throw it all on the table (obviously too little and too late). Edgar certainly has the cardio and presents some problems, but he has just as much to fear from Aldo who has a pretty extensive offensive arsenal and resilience, as well.

Edgar unanimous decision. edgar has got a gameplan for this, for sure.
anywayi hate to see this fight bec frankie and aldo are among my faves, but WAR Frankie.

Frankie is gonna get the upset, i think he is gonna shock alot of people who doubted him, frankie's hands will catch aldo on the feet

Back