UFC 155 - lots of fighters without nicknames

Dust2000

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I think this card is historical as the card with the most fighters on without nicknames only a few of the actual fighters on the whole card have nicknames

Only 3 match ups where both fighters have nicknames

Most are 1 with 1 without

2 fights neither have nicknames

Good! The nickname thing is getting RIDICULOUS! It honestly is adding a clown like aura to MMA fighters.

Cool story. Nice avatar.

On a relative note, The Mexicutioner suits Velasquez better.

The Mexicutioner doesn't suit anyone.

And nicknames are not adjacent to MMA, they took it from boxing: Sugar Ray Leonard, Floyd Money Mayweather...

The Mexicutioner doesn't suit anyone.

And nicknames are not adjacent to MMA, they took it from boxing: Sugar Ray Leonard, Floyd Money Mayweather...

I think someone got a lump of coal in their stocking yesterday! :icon_evil:icon_evil

Honestly tho, whats with all the butthurt over nicknames and other intangibles??

Why do you people feel obliged to comment on every fucking thing??
I bet if you knew what type of underwear they wore you would talk shit about that!!
IMHO, Some of you fine people need a pot cookie, a rogan podcast, and some serious POSITIVE ENERGY in your lives!!!

Good! The nickname thing is getting RIDICULOUS! It honestly is adding a clown like aura to MMA fighters.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I hate seeing threads where people try to assign nicknames to fighters.

I agree

Same with Joe adding dipshit names to move variations. On ultimate submissions it actually said 'Ninja Choke' under method of finish. Just call it a goddamn guillotine variation, or power guillotinebif you must.

I don't understand the obsession with trying to makebcage fighting seem cooler, it's cage fight - it's inherently cool.

nicknames ADD to the fun of MMA.
In other sports you have to reach some level of greatness to get a nickname.
for example in baseball; Babe Ruth: the Bambino, the sultan of swat. William "the fridge" Perry in football. These names are to outline and exemplify the uniqueness and aura of a special athlete.

In lots of traditional sports the best players will play the sport "perfect" but it will look the same as other players. They are limited in self expression to perform to the limitations of the rules of the sport.

In MMA there is a lot more room for expression, as each fighter can have a unique style (or combination of styles)... Of course there are cookie cutters and fighters who emulate each other but the variety in our sport is second to none. When someone gets a name that encapsulates their style, it adds to the thrill of calling the fight, talking about the fighter himself and just his overall image and mystique.

I agree

Same with Joe adding dipshit names to move variations. On ultimate submissions it actually said 'Ninja Choke' under method of finish. Just call it a goddamn guillotine variation, or power guillotinebif you must.

I don't understand the obsession with trying to makebcage fighting seem cooler, it's cage fight - it's inherently cool.

He's not just making names up on the spot.

Names like ninja choke come from the 10th Planet system and are accepted names. There are various reasons why these techniques have their names.

Just because they aren't in Undisputed, it doesn't mean they don't exist.

nicknames ADD to the fun of MMA.
In other sports you have to reach some level of greatness to get a nickname.
for example in baseball; Babe Ruth: the Bambino, the sultan of swat. William "the fridge" Perry in football. These names are to outline and exemplify the uniqueness and aura of a special athlete.

In lots of traditional sports the best players will play the sport "perfect" but it will look the same as other players. They are limited in self expression to perform to the limitations of the rules of the sport.

In MMA there is a lot more room for expression, as each fighter can have a unique style (or combination of styles)... Of course there are cookie cutters and fighters who emulate each other but the variety in our sport is second to none. When someone gets a name that encapsulates their style, it adds to the thrill of calling the fight, talking about the fighter himself and just his overall image and mystique.

And how often does the nickname in anyway tell you something about the fighters style? What does "Sugar" tell you about a fighter. "The American Psycho"? "Ares"? 99% of the time, it feels like something the fighter felt they needed, or that was assigned by a promoter, rather than anything that developed organically in their daily lives or around the gym. Do you think they call each other by these names when they're hanging around? "Hey, American Psycho, how have you been? Oh just fine Crippler, just fine." Do you know what Babe Ruth's real nickname was? It was Babe, and that's what people called him.

Oh who the hell cares guys, nicknames are supposed to be for fun. You guys are no fucking fun.

Good observation ts

He's not just making names up on the spot.

Names like ninja choke come from the 10th Planet system and are accepted names. There are various reasons why these techniques have their names.

Just because they aren't in Undisputed, it doesn't mean they don't exist.

Guy. I have my belt set to 'rubber' belt, you really think I don't know Bravo's dipshit names for positions/moves that have already been established?

I'll let you in on a secret, there's the triangle, armbar, rnc, kimura, then leglocks - the rest are all just variations people add names to.

Go to any school, especially one with a Brasilian, and ask them for a meat-hook to triangle, crackhead control, or rape choke - see what reaction you get.

Back