UFC 155 - Cain Velasquez: Easy to Hit

SL9

Believe
Reaction score
UFC 155 - Cain Velasquez: Easy to Hit - by Jack Slack

There seems in this sport to be a great desire to overstate a fighter's stand up competence based only on the result of his fights and not what actually takes place in them. Cain Velasquez is consistently touted as a great striker with a complete striking skill set - in fact a great deal was made of this ahead of his first meeting with Dos Santos. In truth Junior Dos Santos is someone who understands striking and sets up hard offensive salvos and counters with pot shots and feints early in a match. Cain Velasquez is someone who follows instructions very well and throws his strikes in exactly the ways he has been told to throw them, without really thinking about building to an end game. It is the difference between playing chess by weighing up all the likely responses of the opponent to each threat presented by the player, and playing with a set series of moves regardless of the opponents actions.

The two greatest myths around Cain Velasquez are that he has a weak chin and that he is pillow fisted. His record and knockdowns serve to disprove the second, but I will disprove the first by demonstrating just how often Cain gets hit while he's moving in.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/12/...asquez-junior-dos-santos-jack-slack-judo-chop

Don't know if he still posts here but this an article well worth a read guys...

Last edited:
God damn Kongo hit him with some nasty shots

Junior Dos Santos is someone who understands striking and sets up hard offensive salvos and counters with pot shots and feints early in a match. Cain Velasquez is someone who follows instructions very well and throws his strikes in exactly the ways he has been told to throw them, without really thinking about building to an end game. It is the difference between playing chess by weighing up all the likely responses of the opponent to each threat presented by the player, and playing with a set series of moves regardless of the opponents actions.

Yeah, that's how I saw it too. Cain was doing leg kicks and frantic side to side head movements like a robot. It suggests that he was nervous about the striking and wanted to "do everything right". He was busy but not loose and in control. It's like when you first learn how to dance, you look mechanical and don't know how to put to moves together but when you get better, everything flows effortlessly. That's JDS, he was in his domain and his striking was loose and effortless. Cain is this way too with his chain wrestling. He was outclassed in the striking area, but being too controlled and stiff was not the best way to go.

Don't know if he still posts here but this an article well worth a read guys...

Some mod here made it his business to delete Jack Slack's threads whenever he posted them in here and that's why he stopped...

Thanks for posting. Cain doesn't have a weak chin, but doesn't have the monster chin needed to compensate for his defensive deficiencies at the level he is fighting.

I'm nervous for this fight.

awesome_Kongo_drops_Cain_Velasquez_x2_UFC_99.gif

1.gif

OVEREEM 13'

The point about reckless aggression is spot on. Way too willing to trade in the pocket.

It's going to be more of the same, but even more brutal this time around now that both guys should be healthy going into this fight and not injured.

I agree with the OP, I think Junior will ring his bell again.

It's going to be more of the same, but even more brutal this time around now that both guys should be healthy going into this fight and not injured.

Trust me if Cain loses he'll either be hurt or sick. That or all his fans will jump to the Overeem wagon when they realize a not being able to take a punch can really affect a career, ask Arlovski. Wait.... Cain doesn't have a bad chin JDS and Kongo just hit the right spot 4 times between the two of them :rolleyes:

Trust me if Cain loses he'll either be hurt or sick. That or all his fans will jump to the Overeem wagon when they realize a not being able to take a punch can really affect a career, ask Arlovski. Wait.... Cain doesn't have a bad chin JDS and Kongo just hit the right spot 4 times between the two of them :rolleyes:

If you're comparing Cain's chin to someone like Arlovski that's stupid.

I swear, these boards are full of unrealistic kids. Heavyweights hit fuckin hard. Just because a guy doesn't absorb damage like Rothwell or Nelson, he has a "Glass chin".

"Not being able to take a punch". Did you even read the article.

If you're comparing Cain's chin to someone like Arlovski that's stupid.

I swear, these boards are full of unrealistic kids. Heavyweights hit fuckin hard. Just because a guy doesn't absorb damage like Rothwell or Nelson, he has a "Glass chin".

"Not being able to take a punch". Did you even read the article.

The way you wrote that makes it sound like you're shitting on Arlovski's chin. Hopefully I read that wrong so that I can agree with the rest of your post in that anyone who has taken those hard shots like AA & Cain have would have been KO'd too.

The way you wrote that makes it sound like you're shitting on Arlovski's chin. Hopefully I read that wrong so that I can agree with the rest of your post in that anyone who has taken those hard shots like AA & Cain have would have been KO'd too.

I think Andrei just puts himself in bad situations time, and time, again. He backs away with his head up, asking to be hit! It's frustrating to watch because the guy is really, really talented. But he doesn't have the chin of someone like Kharitonov. His problem is that he's a striker that can't take too many of those power shots. Guys that I've mentioned in this post, and my last can, and do.

I think Andrei just puts himself in bad situations time, and time, again. He backs away with his head up, asking to be hit! It's frustrating to watch because the guy is really, really talented. But he doesn't have the chin of someone like Kharitonov. His problem is that he's a striker that can't take too many of those power shots. Guys that I've mentioned in this post, and my last can, and do.

chin is hard to gauge , someone like Chucks definitely went bad from being great - see Chuck vs Overeem
Arlovski has an up and down chin, sometimes bad sometimes quite good, like James Thompson.
watch Arlovski vs Bigfoot, Arlovski takes many power shots to the head but his chin does fine and we know what Bigfoot is capable of, same with JT vs Pudzian
Wanderlei vs Cung Le another one.

that said JDS has a good chance of a KO because he knows how to be accurate, my opinion is that Cain actually hits harder, not as technical but on the ground it means serious damage and I think he will TKO JDS

Back