UFC 14 Maurice Smith v Mark Coleman

Dessyboy

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Just rewatched this fight

Hadn't seen it for many years.
I remember it being an important one because it was a time when wrestlers like Severn, then Coleman, Kevin Jackson and Mark Kerr were dominating and dominating even not being that well rounded (just mega elite wrestling, very little standup and submission).

Maurice Smith showed an elite striker can beat an elite wrestler.

BUT on rewatching it, man it's frustrating seeing Smith at the end. in over 7 minutes (1 plus regulation and 2 X 3 minute overtime) , when Coleman was a gassed imobile sitting target he couldn't take him out ! it was one strike every now and then followed by retreating away.

I am so less impressed by Smith's performance than i was at the time.

Crazy to watch fights like this, then realizing how far the sport has evolved since.

I rewatched it awhile ago and actually thought Coleman won due to dominating the majority of the fight early on.

Both were gassed and Smith was desperately avoiding engagement even in the late stages of the fight for fear of being blanketed by Coleman. Smith never was a super aggressive style of fighter, hence why it seemed like he couldn't seal the deal. Watch Smith vs Conan WEF it's a better example of Smith's potential.

Mark was gassed so bad in that fight.If he had a better gas tank then no doubt he would've won.Same with the Pete Williams fight.

Back