UFC 118 good card for Boxing Fans

Abishai**

Black Belt
Reaction score
Now just hear me out...I'm not simply referring to the Couture vs Toney fight. (although it also does intrigue me)

I'm referring to Kenny Florian's very improved boxing skills against a stronger, wrestler type in Maynard. I've always said Kenny Florian represents the next stage in evolution of MMA. A fighter with a good ground game, incorporated with a very refined Striking/boxing regimen. The days of those Looping, round houses, "unorthodox" striking will soon be rendered obsolete.

I'm not sure how many of you saw the Florian Vs Gomi fight, but I found it incredibly impressive how Florian used the simple jab to set the tempo for the entire fight (similar to Larry Holmes back in the day).
I'm very curious how Florian will implement his boxing skills against a fighter who will try to take Florian down as soon as possible.

And of course the Bj. Penn vs Edgar fight should be of some interest to boxing fans as well, considering the fact that BJ Penn (prior to his last fight) hasn't really had to utilize his world class BJJ simply because he has very good boxing skills (by MMA standards). Frankie Edgar was able to go toe to toe in terms of boxing with BJ Penn...

I wonder how this fight will play out in terms of striking.

What are your thoughts.

Does nothing for me.
Not interested in this card.

I really fucking hate Kenny Florian. No good reason. Just don't like him. He's a pretty good fighter though and always improving. Hopefully he doesn't get laid on for 3 rounds. I really don't think much of his striking but it'd be interesting to see him use footwork and the jab to keep Maynard on the outside.

Penn shouldn't even stand with Edgar. He should just get the kid to the ground and work him. I don't need to watch some little guy with no power dart in and out for 5 rounds again. I got enough of that watching the WEC card this week.

If Penn does decide to strike I'd rather see him be more aggressive and come forward.

I watch UFC to watch MMA, if I wanted boxing I would watch boxing. But Toney has sold this fight and I am excited.

all the boxers are going to lose. Toney, Florian, Penn are all gonna take big L's to the wrestlers.

I have a feeling that Maynard has developed Sherk syndrome as of late (that is, he thinks hes a world class boxer now and refuses to live up to his nickname anymore). My money is on Florian winning a decision.

I have a feeling that Maynard has developed Sherk syndrome as of late (that is, he thinks hes a world class boxer now and refuses to live up to his nickname anymore). My money is on Florian winning a decision.

Also known as the Hermes Franca syndrome.

I have good feeling that all the wrestlers are gonna take it with the exception of Edgar.

Now just hear me out...I'm not simply referring to the Couture vs Toney fight. (although it also does intrigue me)

I'm referring to Kenny Florian's very improved boxing skills against a stronger, wrestler type in Maynard. I've always said Kenny Florian represents the next stage in evolution of MMA. A fighter with a good ground game, incorporated with a very refined Striking/boxing regimen. The days of those Looping, round houses, "unorthodox" striking will soon be rendered obsolete.

I'm not sure how many of you saw the Florian Vs Gomi fight, but I found it incredibly impressive how Florian used the simple jab to set the tempo for the entire fight (similar to Larry Holmes back in the day).
I'm very curious how Florian will implement his boxing skills against a fighter who will try to take Florian down as soon as possible.

And of course the Bj. Penn vs Edgar fight should be of some interest to boxing fans as well, considering the fact that BJ Penn (prior to his last fight) hasn't really had to utilize his world class BJJ simply because he has very good boxing skills (by MMA standards). Frankie Edgar was able to go toe to toe in terms of boxing with BJ Penn...

I wonder how this fight will play out in terms of striking.

What are your thoughts.

agreed
however here;s wats lame

Edgar can not outstrike penn and win. He basically threw jabs and ran around for 25 minutes, while penn appeared out of it and was being an idiot. Edgar won via running around and 1 takedown while looking like he was actually trying to outstrike penn

Maynard- i pray he doesnt win
its getting old seeing some wrestlers who are only good at that win, because they lack in other areas of mma like 90% but because they constantly face guys with no takedown defense or strong area's of grappling they look dominate
and it's always boring because they play it safe, sitting low in the guard elbows in, and hands in to prevent the man who has the guard from gaining wrist control

these fighters than win a lame decision
and than go on to do it again
see Maynards last like 5 fights
or see jon fitch- the decision man aka the blanket

your going to see florian try to fight and finish like he always does. but can he stop from being a bed for the blanekt? hopefully

couture- wants nothing to do with toney's boxing

Edgar- will look to do what he did last time, run around and throw jabs. i think bj will use all area's of striking get a takedown and go for a tko or submission attempt

The UFC is clearly trying to set up the entire card to please, and possibly draw in, boxing purists that are buying the card to see how Toney does.

I don't think that's a huge demographic actually, but it's smart matchmaking nevertheless.

This card isnt even interesting if your an mma fan unless your really into it,better yet a boxing fan.
Why do mma fans think boxing fans like an mma fighter with a few decent punches?
Its not boxing.

Im sure you are gonna tell me why you think its great,i wont even watch it for free on a torrent probably unless im really bored.

This card isnt even interesting if your an mma fan unless your really into it,better yet a boxing fan.
Why do mma fans think boxing fans like an mma fighter with a few decent punches?
Its not boxing.

Im sure you are gonna tell me why you think its great,i wont even watch it for free on a torrent probably unless im really bored.

I could have a fu*k what you do or don't do.

And you mind is already made up regarding this card so why bother with a discussin with you.

Its not boxing.

Yea a title fight with a hall of famer in BJ Penn isn't interesting unless you're really into it? rofl

Also, You're not your x2, but we already knew you aren't the brightest in the box.

Anybody who thinks BJ is going to lose is stupid, as does anybody who thought BJ lost the first fight

Anybody who thinks BJ is going to lose is stupid, as does anybody who thought BJ lost the first fight

I thought Bj won the first fight but I made a small wager on Edgar because of the odds.

I was fu*king thrilled when they announced the cards. 100 to win 500.

Back