Media UFC 1: The Beginning - Full Event

Royce makes Paul Harris look like a saint. No disrepekt to Hoyce, primitive times.

Makes sense, sort of. But the jab hand would be the one taking the least damage, and you're giving up the potential for digging knuckles in their eyes and throat. Makes zero sense if you really think about it.

Even if your intent was to jab all night and bail if things got bad, you'd still get more benefit from going with two gloves for combo sake, or only gloving the power hand and just feinting jabs.

IMO, of course.

Just sees like a very poorly thought out plan.
It was basically an on the spot gameplan. Originally, when the match ups were announced, I think I heard Jimmerson say in an interview he was excited that he got the smallest opponent in the whole field and thought “hey, at least I’ll win one”, but then a half an hour later figured out that he’s fighting a guy whose fighting style he didn’t even understand. Then practiced grappling for a session, figured out that he can’t just master it in the few days he had, and decided to play it safe. Left his power hand so he can go for the kill, protected the lead hand so he could theoretically use it over and over if his plan worked. Then tapped almost immediately when mounted to go and box.
He owns a boxing/MMA gym (in St. Louis, i think) now a days and follows both sports closely.
I really think that him coming in with one glove says much more about how little we knew about fighting in 1993 then him being stupid.
And, for what it’s worth, if he didn’t wear the glove, he wasn’t exactly going to out grapple Royce anyway, size advantage be damned. He just happened to create one of the first MMA memes while faced with a no win situation

Royce makes Paul Harris look like a saint. No disrepekt to Hoyce, primitive times.
Hey, in this event, it was just holding the RNC against Gordeau too long, and specifically because Gerard bit through his ear, breaking one of the 3 rules they had. And to be fair, Gerard makes both Paul Harris and Royce look like saints, so fuck him

A guy at my (boxing) gym does BJJ as well and had never seen the early ones, I lent him UFC 1-10, dude can't believe how awesome it was ha ha.

Gerard Gordeau sure was pretty cool in the cage, a few kind of lose their shit and waste energy I think but Gordeau is a cool customer. (and a prick for what he did to Nakai in the Japan Vale Tudo of course)

Back