News UFC’s New Strategy to go after Online Pirate Streams

I had less trouble watching the Conor fight via stream, than I did watching the TJ fight via my paid fightpass subscription.

My point is PPV is outdated bussines plan. What is difficult to understand?
It is laughable fans in US and A need to pay 70 dollars for UFC ppvs. I pay 5 euros for sports channels monthly which includes top European soccer leagues, NFL, NBA, NHL, UFC, Bellator, PFL and much more. 5 Euro per MONTH! Let that sink in.
I agree with you but that's not what I'm talking about.

Let's put this argument to rest lol

Make the already stupidly powerful DMCA even more powerful. A tool that already had no effective legal counter doesn't need to be better than it already is.

Maybe UFC need to stop charging so much for their PPVs when some of the cards are very weak, $70 for Nunes for Spencer is outrageous. I remember I brought UFC 40 for $24.95 and they had 5% off if you booked before the day of the PPV.. so 5% off 24.95 (23.70)

UFC 40 was brilliant, well worth the money and great event, the prelims were like the main cards of todays PPVs (if not better)

I pick and choose which PPVs to buy now because so many of them are watered down and not worth the price, I just can't justify paying so much for a lacking card. I now skip watching most of the PPVs, and just watch the Fight Night events and ESPN events.
Mma is so much better now

The UFC would like to see the DMCA amended to include a “stay down system” whereby the copyright holder need only notify the service provider of infringing material. It would then become the obligation of the provider to monitor repeat infringers and prevent them from engaging in illegal streaming and other piracy on the provider’s platform. “These big platforms have to take responsibility for what happens on their platforms,” Epstein asserts. “It can’t be reactive.”

It's a nice thought when you're going after the little guys but you should realize that the heavy hitters like Youtube, Twitter, and Facebook absolutely don't want to take responsibility for what users are posting on their platform.

If the UFC wants the truly combat piracy it needs to look at how the music industry did it. They tried attacking individuals and shakedowns and it only made the practice skyrocket and sympathy for them dissapear. Now artists make their money from touring and cross-marketing instead of pure album sales and streaming services like Spotify are cheap enough that millions of people rely on it daily.

Wasn't WWE move from PPV model to network a total success and they made even more money from subscriptions? I believe it was 10$ a month. After they moved to peacock it's only 5$ a month now.

Make UFC network for 10$ you red goof.

It's a nice thought when you're going after the little guys but you should realize that the heavy hitters like Youtube, Twitter, and Facebook absolutely don't want to take responsibility for what users are posting on their platform.

If the UFC wants the truly combat piracy it needs to look at how the music industry did it. They tried attacking individuals and shakedowns and it only made the practice skyrocket and sympathy for them dissapear. Now artists make their money from touring and cross-marketing instead of pure album sales and streaming services like Spotify are cheap enough that millions of people rely on it daily.

How exactly did they do that? People don't really pirate music anymore. They go to steaming. Yes, the performers get screwed but the music companies don't and that is all they care about. Napstar and all the others are gone or went legit.

They do that in America too except it's more cease and desist. Basically they are letting you know they are watching you but they usually don't threaten to get people to pay. Thriller boxing was the only ones doing that and they were doing it through guesswork of social media. It didn't hold up in court.

In the US they can only go after content providers, not content consumers. Generally speaking.

Thriller tried to do a mass lawsuit and that isn't allowed. They have to sue each of them individually.
No, you are completely wrong. Music industry has sued and won many many times. They destroyed lives to make an example out of people.

Thriller tried to do a mass lawsuit and that isn't allowed. They have to sue each of them individually.
No, you are completely wrong. Music industry has sued and won many many times. They destroyed lives to make an example out of people.
I'm talking about streaming a ppv. Not someone downloading or torrenting said content. They view that as content providers because those people usually p2p share games, music, files, etc.
------------------------------
Any discussion of the legality of streaming in the U.S. begins with the Copyright Act of 1976. This grants copyright holders “exclusive rights” to make copies of their work, distribute it and perform it publicly.

And watching a stream — even if it’s unauthorized by the copyright holder — doesn’t technically violate these rights. There have been numerous challenges and interpretations as copyright law has adapted to the internet, but this reading has essentially held true.

Watching a stream doesn’t constitute public performance
“Copyright attaches liability only to public performances, and streams aren’t public performances,” Gibson said. “Streams are performances, but they’re not public if it’s just you in the privacy of your own home and you’re not making a permanent copy — you start it and you stop it and that’s your only interaction with it.”

Nicole Haff, partner and head of litigation at Romano Law PLLC, a firm focused on business, media, sports and entertainment law, agreed with this interpretation. “I think it would be a hard argument to say that somebody watching a streamed video is publicly performing the video,” she said. “They’re not the one putting it out there, they’re actually receiving it.”

Peer-to-peer streaming
There is one type of unauthorized streaming that could get you into trouble: Peer-to-peer streaming services like BitTorrent Live. Like torrents, these services rely on users to share the content. If you’re a viewer, you’re also a broadcaster, which does violate copyright law.

https://www.allconnect.com/blog/is-streaming-illegal

-----------------------------

I had less trouble watching the Conor fight via stream, than I did watching the TJ fight via my paid fightpass subscription.
that's all the UFC should do, make it hard, not impossible.

the movie industry has been dealing with this for ages, and they couldnt solve it, just let it be, shut down the streams as you find them, and if not, pay someone to attack the stream so it goes down <Lmaoo>

I'm talking about streaming a ppv. Not someone downloading or torrenting said content. They view that as content providers because those people usually p2p share games, music, files, etc.
------------------------------
Any discussion of the legality of streaming in the U.S. begins with the Copyright Act of 1976. This grants copyright holders “exclusive rights” to make copies of their work, distribute it and perform it publicly.

And watching a stream — even if it’s unauthorized by the copyright holder — doesn’t technically violate these rights. There have been numerous challenges and interpretations as copyright law has adapted to the internet, but this reading has essentially held true.

Watching a stream doesn’t constitute public performance
“Copyright attaches liability only to public performances, and streams aren’t public performances,” Gibson said. “Streams are performances, but they’re not public if it’s just you in the privacy of your own home and you’re not making a permanent copy — you start it and you stop it and that’s your only interaction with it.”

Nicole Haff, partner and head of litigation at Romano Law PLLC, a firm focused on business, media, sports and entertainment law, agreed with this interpretation. “I think it would be a hard argument to say that somebody watching a streamed video is publicly performing the video,” she said. “They’re not the one putting it out there, they’re actually receiving it.”

Peer-to-peer streaming
There is one type of unauthorized streaming that could get you into trouble: Peer-to-peer streaming services like BitTorrent Live. Like torrents, these services rely on users to share the content. If you’re a viewer, you’re also a broadcaster, which does violate copyright law.

https://www.allconnect.com/blog/is-streaming-illegal

-----------------------------

Last year there was a bill in congress to make watching an illegal stream a felony. Before that it was a misdemeanor. I don't see if that passed or not, but if the law is being changed from misdemeanor to felony it was already illegal.

Also the streams that are half way decent are the peer to peer ones. The others either are very laggy or get shut down, especially around the time the main event starts.

Its a long read so I cropped out/highlighted key stuff:

According to a person familiar with UFC takedown notices, UFC 264 generated among the top three or four highest notices for a UFC event held over the last year.

Piracy is an ongoing problem for the UFC and other content creators whose ability to curtail the illegal practice is limited under federal law. As Lawrence Epstein, the UFC’s chief operating officer, explained to Sportico in a phone interview, the UFC (like other creators of copyright content) rely largely on the Digital Millennium Copyright Act to curtail piracy.

The DMCA is a “very reactive type of protocol,” Epstein notes, since the law places the onus on the copyright holder to act. This presents a timing problem for a live sports broadcast. The highest value for that broadcast—especially one distributed through a PPV arrangement—is when the event happens. A notice and takedown can take several minutes, even a half hour. By the time an illegal stream is removed, it could be too late. The Poirier-McGregor match lasted only about five minutes before McGregor suffered a leg injury and Poirier was credited with a TKO victory.

“It’s not an appropriate remedy,” Epstein charges, adding that the “vast majority” of the piracy is taking place on “big platforms like Facebook, YouTube and Twitter.” Epstein also stresses that “we see the same people doing it. There are repeat offenders who aren’t deterred by the process.”

The UFC would like to see the DMCA amended to include a “stay down system” whereby the copyright holder need only notify the service provider of infringing material. It would then become the obligation of the provider to monitor repeat infringers and prevent them from engaging in illegal streaming and other piracy on the provider’s platform. “These big platforms have to take responsibility for what happens on their platforms,” Epstein asserts. “It can’t be reactive.”

Reliance on the DMCA is part of a multi-pronged strategy for the UFC in combatting piracy. As an overarching principle, the UFC is mindful of the critical role video content plays for the fan experience. “We love our fans and want more fans,” Epstein stresses. “We’re not trying to stop them from showing video of Conor or other fighters.” Instead, Epstein underscores, “We are going after the pirates . . . we are trying to stop illegal profiting and reselling of copyright material.”

Education plays a key role. Epstein emphasizes that the fighters are financial partners in PPV events. “Every buy that’s stolen is hurting [McGregor] and other fighters. This is not a victimless crime or one that just hurts the big corporation—it hurts the individual athletes . . . remember they have as short window [of life] to monetize” their athletic abilities and skills.

Epstein adds that those who engage in piracy are often involved in other illegal or even criminal practices, including stealing identities of those who share personal data and selling fake products. “There’s a lot of bad stuff when you enter this ecosystem.” Vacca concurs. “Many online pirates tend to be unscrupulous individuals—there’s a risk of viruses and stealing users’ personal or financial information. “

The UFC also works closely with service providers to identify and take down illegal streams of events, and, along with UFC vendors, attempts to take advantage of the latest anti-piracy technologies. Similarly, the UFC works with colleagues at ESPN and Disney to strategize ways for updating the legal landscape and making criminal prosecution more effective. To that end, the UFC pushed for the Protecting Lawful Streaming Act of 2020, a law that makes it felony to stream copyright material (previously it was only a misdemeanor to stream and typically not prosecuted). The UFC also sometimes turns to litigation, but Epstein concedes that online piracy “is a problem that you don’t sue your way out of.”
————————
https://sports.yahoo.com/ufc-aims-slam-online-pirates-040100235.html

You Goofs are on Red Alert, Uncle Dana is coming for ya. Just buy the ppv ya cheap bastards lol

bY1_6LCS6OLWBnzjVqjISC2pA9T2xWSd3QWNyw5aMvwAtlhdxCR050GhetaEhHhd=s0-d
In a nutshell they won’t stop piracy, it’s because it’s uploaded in countries where there are no piracy laws and people aren’t held legally accountable

Its a long read so I cropped out/highlighted key stuff:

According to a person familiar with UFC takedown notices, UFC 264 generated among the top three or four highest notices for a UFC event held over the last year.

Piracy is an ongoing problem for the UFC and other content creators whose ability to curtail the illegal practice is limited under federal law. As Lawrence Epstein, the UFC’s chief operating officer, explained to Sportico in a phone interview, the UFC (like other creators of copyright content) rely largely on the Digital Millennium Copyright Act to curtail piracy.

The DMCA is a “very reactive type of protocol,” Epstein notes, since the law places the onus on the copyright holder to act. This presents a timing problem for a live sports broadcast. The highest value for that broadcast—especially one distributed through a PPV arrangement—is when the event happens. A notice and takedown can take several minutes, even a half hour. By the time an illegal stream is removed, it could be too late. The Poirier-McGregor match lasted only about five minutes before McGregor suffered a leg injury and Poirier was credited with a TKO victory.

“It’s not an appropriate remedy,” Epstein charges, adding that the “vast majority” of the piracy is taking place on “big platforms like Facebook, YouTube and Twitter.” Epstein also stresses that “we see the same people doing it. There are repeat offenders who aren’t deterred by the process.”

Reliance on the DMCA is part of a multi-pronged strategy for the UFC in combatting piracy. As an overarching principle, the UFC is mindful of the critical role video content plays for the fan experience. “We love our fans and want more fans,” Epstein stresses. “We’re not trying to stop them from showing video of Conor or other fighters.” Instead, Epstein underscores, “We are going after the pirates . . . we are trying to stop illegal profiting and reselling of copyright material.”

Education plays a key role. Epstein emphasizes that the fighters are financial partners in PPV events. “Every buy that’s stolen is hurting [McGregor] and other fighters. This is not a victimless crime or one that just hurts the big corporation—it hurts the individual athletes . . . remember they have as short window [of life] to monetize” their athletic abilities and skills.

Epstein adds that those who engage in piracy are often involved in other illegal or even criminal practices, including stealing identities of those who share personal data and selling fake products. “There’s a lot of bad stuff when you enter this ecosystem.” Vacca concurs. “Many online pirates tend to be unscrupulous individuals—there’s a risk of viruses and stealing users’ personal or financial information. “

The UFC also works closely with service providers to identify and take down illegal streams of events, and, along with UFC vendors, attempts to take advantage of the latest anti-piracy technologies. Similarly, the UFC works with colleagues at ESPN and Disney to strategize ways for updating the legal landscape and making criminal prosecution more effective. To that end, the UFC pushed for the Protecting Lawful Streaming Act of 2020, a law that makes it felony to stream copyright material (previously it was only a misdemeanor to stream and typically not prosecuted). The UFC also sometimes turns to litigation, but Epstein concedes that online piracy “is a problem that you don’t sue your way out of.”
————————
https://sports.yahoo.com/ufc-aims-slam-online-pirates-040100235.html

You Goofs are on Red Alert, Uncle Dana is coming for ya. Just buy the ppv ya cheap bastards lol

bY1_6LCS6OLWBnzjVqjISC2pA9T2xWSd3QWNyw5aMvwAtlhdxCR050GhetaEhHhd=s0-d
So basically, UFC brass is saying "Waaa'aaaa, waaa'aaaa. ISP's need to help us. Waaa'aaaa. Conor McGregor. Waaa'aaaa."

Wasn't WWE move from PPV model to network a total success and they made even more money from subscriptions? I believe it was 10$ a month. After they moved to peacock it's only 5$ a month now.

Make UFC network for 10$ you red goof.
Yeah a reasonably priced TV deal is the only way theyre getting me. I ain't paying $70 bucks for 3 hours of TV. Especially not when the cards are as watered down as they are these days.

i've been using torrents all my life for everything, it is what it is. its better quality and faster to skip everything once I've them instead of watching them on some random website with million of popups/ads and a struggle to fast forward things you want when you chose.
its just smokes and mirrors at this point. never do i worry for somebody to go to the lengths of actually ''catching me'' especially for something as low-tier product as ufc...

Use "Brave" browser when you're trying to watch a live stream, it works great and much better than any adblocker.

Reactions: 2sk
Back