News UFC’s New Strategy to go after Online Pirate Streams

“vast majority” of the piracy is taking place on “big platforms like Facebook, YouTube and Twitter.”

Must add Twitch to that.. thats probably the biggest "problem", if you see it that way..

мы на десять шагов впереди тебя томатная голова.

Napster was shut down moron
Damn.... moron? You need a hug bro. Go fuck your wife. Girlfriend, boyfriend , whatever..but since you aint got one how about your hand? Got you on block now but i gave you sympathy like cause i feel sorry for you and your mother for struggling to have you and not knowing who dad was.. So enjoy it and remember me.

Once Dana crushes these wretches, PPV prices will shoot up to a pricey but affordable $300.

Every buy that’s stolen is hurting [McGregor] and other fighters.[/QUOTE]

McGregor yes. But majority of the fighters gain/lose nothing from this since they don't get a cut of the PPV anyway.

Its a long read so I cropped out/highlighted key stuff:

According to a person familiar with UFC takedown notices, UFC 264 generated among the top three or four highest notices for a UFC event held over the last year.

Piracy is an ongoing problem for the UFC and other content creators whose ability to curtail the illegal practice is limited under federal law. As Lawrence Epstein, the UFC’s chief operating officer, explained to Sportico in a phone interview, the UFC (like other creators of copyright content) rely largely on the Digital Millennium Copyright Act to curtail piracy.

The DMCA is a “very reactive type of protocol,” Epstein notes, since the law places the onus on the copyright holder to act. This presents a timing problem for a live sports broadcast. The highest value for that broadcast—especially one distributed through a PPV arrangement—is when the event happens. A notice and takedown can take several minutes, even a half hour. By the time an illegal stream is removed, it could be too late. The Poirier-McGregor match lasted only about five minutes before McGregor suffered a leg injury and Poirier was credited with a TKO victory.

“It’s not an appropriate remedy,” Epstein charges, adding that the “vast majority” of the piracy is taking place on “big platforms like Facebook, YouTube and Twitter.” Epstein also stresses that “we see the same people doing it. There are repeat offenders who aren’t deterred by the process.”

The UFC would like to see the DMCA amended to include a “stay down system” whereby the copyright holder need only notify the service provider of infringing material. It would then become the obligation of the provider to monitor repeat infringers and prevent them from engaging in illegal streaming and other piracy on the provider’s platform. “These big platforms have to take responsibility for what happens on their platforms,” Epstein asserts. “It can’t be reactive.”

Reliance on the DMCA is part of a multi-pronged strategy for the UFC in combatting piracy. As an overarching principle, the UFC is mindful of the critical role video content plays for the fan experience. “We love our fans and want more fans,” Epstein stresses. “We’re not trying to stop them from showing video of Conor or other fighters.” Instead, Epstein underscores, “We are going after the pirates . . . we are trying to stop illegal profiting and reselling of copyright material.”

Education plays a key role. Epstein emphasizes that the fighters are financial partners in PPV events. “Every buy that’s stolen is hurting [McGregor] and other fighters. This is not a victimless crime or one that just hurts the big corporation—it hurts the individual athletes . . . remember they have as short window [of life] to monetize” their athletic abilities and skills.

Epstein adds that those who engage in piracy are often involved in other illegal or even criminal practices, including stealing identities of those who share personal data and selling fake products. “There’s a lot of bad stuff when you enter this ecosystem.” Vacca concurs. “Many online pirates tend to be unscrupulous individuals—there’s a risk of viruses and stealing users’ personal or financial information. “

The UFC also works closely with service providers to identify and take down illegal streams of events, and, along with UFC vendors, attempts to take advantage of the latest anti-piracy technologies. Similarly, the UFC works with colleagues at ESPN and Disney to strategize ways for updating the legal landscape and making criminal prosecution more effective. To that end, the UFC pushed for the Protecting Lawful Streaming Act of 2020, a law that makes it felony to stream copyright material (previously it was only a misdemeanor to stream and typically not prosecuted). The UFC also sometimes turns to litigation, but Epstein concedes that online piracy “is a problem that you don’t sue your way out of.”
————————
https://sports.yahoo.com/ufc-aims-slam-online-pirates-040100235.html

You Goofs are on Red Alert, Uncle Dana is coming for ya. Just buy the ppv ya cheap bastards lol

bY1_6LCS6OLWBnzjVqjISC2pA9T2xWSd3QWNyw5aMvwAtlhdxCR050GhetaEhHhd=s0-d
He's got one of us. Did you hear that guys. Hes got one!!

Its a long read so I cropped out/highlighted key stuff:

According to a person familiar with UFC takedown notices, UFC 264 generated among the top three or four highest notices for a UFC event held over the last year.

Piracy is an ongoing problem for the UFC and other content creators whose ability to curtail the illegal practice is limited under federal law. As Lawrence Epstein, the UFC’s chief operating officer, explained to Sportico in a phone interview, the UFC (like other creators of copyright content) rely largely on the Digital Millennium Copyright Act to curtail piracy.

The DMCA is a “very reactive type of protocol,” Epstein notes, since the law places the onus on the copyright holder to act. This presents a timing problem for a live sports broadcast. The highest value for that broadcast—especially one distributed through a PPV arrangement—is when the event happens. A notice and takedown can take several minutes, even a half hour. By the time an illegal stream is removed, it could be too late. The Poirier-McGregor match lasted only about five minutes before McGregor suffered a leg injury and Poirier was credited with a TKO victory.

“It’s not an appropriate remedy,” Epstein charges, adding that the “vast majority” of the piracy is taking place on “big platforms like Facebook, YouTube and Twitter.” Epstein also stresses that “we see the same people doing it. There are repeat offenders who aren’t deterred by the process.”

The UFC would like to see the DMCA amended to include a “stay down system” whereby the copyright holder need only notify the service provider of infringing material. It would then become the obligation of the provider to monitor repeat infringers and prevent them from engaging in illegal streaming and other piracy on the provider’s platform. “These big platforms have to take responsibility for what happens on their platforms,” Epstein asserts. “It can’t be reactive.”

Reliance on the DMCA is part of a multi-pronged strategy for the UFC in combatting piracy. As an overarching principle, the UFC is mindful of the critical role video content plays for the fan experience. “We love our fans and want more fans,” Epstein stresses. “We’re not trying to stop them from showing video of Conor or other fighters.” Instead, Epstein underscores, “We are going after the pirates . . . we are trying to stop illegal profiting and reselling of copyright material.”

Education plays a key role. Epstein emphasizes that the fighters are financial partners in PPV events. “Every buy that’s stolen is hurting [McGregor] and other fighters. This is not a victimless crime or one that just hurts the big corporation—it hurts the individual athletes . . . remember they have as short window [of life] to monetize” their athletic abilities and skills.

Epstein adds that those who engage in piracy are often involved in other illegal or even criminal practices, including stealing identities of those who share personal data and selling fake products. “There’s a lot of bad stuff when you enter this ecosystem.” Vacca concurs. “Many online pirates tend to be unscrupulous individuals—there’s a risk of viruses and stealing users’ personal or financial information. “

The UFC also works closely with service providers to identify and take down illegal streams of events, and, along with UFC vendors, attempts to take advantage of the latest anti-piracy technologies. Similarly, the UFC works with colleagues at ESPN and Disney to strategize ways for updating the legal landscape and making criminal prosecution more effective. To that end, the UFC pushed for the Protecting Lawful Streaming Act of 2020, a law that makes it felony to stream copyright material (previously it was only a misdemeanor to stream and typically not prosecuted). The UFC also sometimes turns to litigation, but Epstein concedes that online piracy “is a problem that you don’t sue your way out of.”
————————
https://sports.yahoo.com/ufc-aims-slam-online-pirates-040100235.html

You Goofs are on Red Alert, Uncle Dana is coming for ya. Just buy the ppv ya cheap bastards lol

bY1_6LCS6OLWBnzjVqjISC2pA9T2xWSd3QWNyw5aMvwAtlhdxCR050GhetaEhHhd=s0-d
Good info. Thank You!

Damn.... moron? You need a hug bro. Go fuck your wife. Girlfriend, boyfriend , whatever..but since you aint got one how about your hand? Got you on block now but i gave you sympathy like cause i feel sorry for you and your mother for struggling to have you and not knowing who dad was.. So enjoy it and remember me.
But he's right you know. Napster was shut down due to piracy. And so was TPB but that one didn't go as planned.
Either way if piracy could be stopped it would've done so decades ago. It's not like UFC is the first and only sports event to have pirated streams.

I think some of these people make out in the end. If people donate to the hosting server it wouldnt take much for them to get their money back plus a lot more
Doubt they need the donations to cover the cost. The ads itself will make them their money back. That is if they are even pirating a PPV stream, vs a free international stream, which it usually is.

I don’t understand why you guys in the US have to pay for so many PPVs. In my country the only ones I’ve had to buy (I didn’t) for the past five years have been McGregor cards. Aside from those every single Fight Night and PPV have been included in the subscription package I have with my streaming provider. I pay $38 a month, and that includes a shit ton of other sports, series and movies.

Granted, early prelims are almost never included and prelims only sometimes but it’s still a pretty sweet deal.

5mins could be too late....My stream lasted the whole event thanks, not just 5mins. I dont think changing that is going to help you in anyway

But he's right you know. Napster was shut down due to piracy. And so was TPB but that one didn't go as planned.
Either way if piracy could be stopped it would've done so decades ago. It's not like UFC is the first and only sports event to have pirated streams.
Napster was shut down but 50 others that did similar or better came about as a result . I’m not disagreeing witn you but if Dana want to celebrate shutting down one individual site , server , person etc etc GREAT. Butt 20 more arise . It’s like drugs . El Chapp got arrested . Escobar killed . Yet coke is bigger than ever .

Epstein? I thought they killed that mofo. Or at least hanging out with Clinton somewhere.

No matter how many streams they shut down and increase PPV buys the normal fighters will stay get paid shitty. The only people it would help if the mega rich already like McGregor who gets a % of PPVs. I am glad I like in the UK and don't have to deal with UFC PPVs. We get a fair amount of PPVs but hopefully that will mainly end now with Eddie Hearns contract with DAZN (Yes I know AJ and Delboy will be PPV still). I am fine a moderately priced subscription.

<JagsKiddingMe> Like we're gonna spend our money on watching teh UFC {<jordan}

clearly have at best a 3rd grade education.

Nobody who isn’t a casual at the internet is watching illegal streams on these major platforms - they’re only the tip of the iceberg and the easiest to police.

And you think a VPN is a big deal.

Newsflash, windows comes with VPN software. Why are you paying for something you get for free.

Really? Fuck, I must be becoming a boomer cause I'd never heard of that. Rhetorical here: why would Microsoft include a VPN in their OS, and if they actually do - is it a trap? Will research. Thanks,

Worried about the fighter pay, what an ass.

Every buy that’s stolen is hurting [McGregor] and other fighters. This is not a victimless crime or one that just hurts the big corporation—it hurts the individual athletes . . . remember they have as short window [of life] to monetize” their athletic abilities and skills.
If the ufc gave a crap about the fighters then they would pay them what they're worth, so cut the nonsense.

Buying ppv to support the fighters is like giving money to a shady charity. Less than 15% of the profits go to the cause.

Back