News UFC’s New Strategy to go after Online Pirate Streams

IMO:

The vast majority of people who pirate wouldn't have paid anyway.

Pirating makes the UFC and its fighters more famous than otherwise, because more people are watching. This is turns pumps up ratings for fight nights.

There was a quote from the guy who wrote Rich Dad, Poor Dad (a widely famous financial book) where he was asked if was made about people pirating the book, and he said no because it made him more famous.

Not saying it's good, I get that it's wrong, but it's not that simple.

I agree in principle, but I'd like to see some numbers supporting that this is the case, if any.

I buy 1 ppv a year now. Thats more than enough and more than I spend on all other sports I watch combined. Suck my balls Dana.

Epstein charges, adding that the “vast majority” of the piracy is taking place on “big platforms like Facebook, YouTube and Twitter.”

Lol he has no clue then, unless he is talking about GIFs and not the actual stream

Don't live in the US so don't give a shit. Come extradite me, Dana.

PPV business model doesn't work at this day and age. Hate to say it but just add more advertising throughout. If 100m people illegally stream the fights then good, they will make more revenue from the adverts and sponsors.

I would NEVER advocate streaming the fights online (despite the many free sites available to do so), that being sad:

Illegal streaming is solely the responsibility of the broadcaster, the user will never face legal ramifications. It is not the users responsibility to ensure the provider has purchased the right to broadcast that event. This started with TV, where if a network illegally ran an ad (or anything else), you can not go after the viewer, only the network. Same with bars illegally streaming the event, the patrons of said bar hold no responsibility.

Drop the ppv model and offer an affordable yearly subscription to all content. It currently costs almost $1000 a year to access all UFC content. That’s outrageous, no wonder people pirate. The best way to fight piracy is offer an affordable, reliable and legal alternative.
This.

Look what happened to music piracy when Spotify came out.

But the UFC doesn't think beyond the immediate bottom line, so.

This.

Look what happened to music piracy when Spotify came out.

But the UFC doesn't think beyond the immediate bottom line, so.

Great example. Most people are willing to pay a reasonable price for reliable, easy, and legal access. Of course it wouldn’t eliminate illegal streams entirely, but it’s the best course of action nowadays, you’re not going to beat the internet. They may lose money in the short term, but they’d gain it in the long term.

The UFC would like to see the DMCA amended to include a “stay down system” whereby the copyright holder need only notify the service provider of infringing material. It would then become the obligation of the provider to monitor repeat infringers and prevent them from engaging in illegal streaming and other piracy on the provider’s platform. “These big platforms have to take responsibility for what happens on their platforms,” Epstein asserts. “It can’t be reactive.”
I read this as Epstein saying, "we have a problem with our choice of revenue stream. Assume all responsibility and solve it for us."
If I were a provider/platform, I'd be like, "fuck that. We're not going to voluntarily make your problem our problem."

Some of you guys justifying stealing content because the card isn't good is just lol. So I can steal a McChicken because it isn't as good as Chik-Fil-A?

Or download music for free without any money going to the creator because the song is meh? lol

Yeah right, that's why I can get month of entertainment for 10 dollars aka Netflix. Or I should buy each movie I watch on blue ray/dvd like dinosaur from 20 ago.
You pay for netflix, I dont get your point lol

If literally ZERO person bought the ppv, do you think the UFC would exist?

Do you think broadcaster like ESPN would buy the rights of the UFC diffusion if they sold none of their PPV?

It's okay most events aren't worth pirating anyway lol. I go to my local bar to watch that shit for big events

Torrenting it is like the easiest way for you to get caught lol......
...... why torrent it when you can just watch the fights you want to see on any of the many websites?

Get caught torrenting? Lol, I didn't know people were still dumb enough to get caught.

Torrenting is the best, no commercials, no WMMA, and no useless commentating. Torrenting saves a good 3-4 hours of time to do useful things in life.

Last edited:
would pay if:

1) no pay walls. i'm not signing up for shit i don't want. i want to see the ppv. not sign up for espn+ and then have to cancel.
2) $60 ppv
3) 4k stream
4) no streams cutting out.

i stopped buying after the paywall

Back