UFC’s decision to book Holloway/Rodriguez just before Volk/Ortega took place

13Seconds

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I don't usually shit on the UFC but this was a weird decision imo. Holloway/Rodriguez became officiall on the fight week of UFC 266. I mean, would it hurt to just wait and see what would happen in the main event before booking this fight?

Actually, either way Max fighting the winner of Volk/Ortega would make sense. But who will Volk fight now? According to him he is injury free and ready to get in there asap because of the long layoff.

I don't usually shit on the UFC but this was a weird decision imo. Holloway/Rodriguez became officiall on the fight week of UFC 266. I mean, would it hurt to just wait and see what would happen in the main event before booking this fight?

Actually, either way Max fighting the winner of Volk/Ortega would make sense. But who will Volk fight now? According to him he is injury free and ready to get in there asap because of the long layoff.
a quick fight at LW should be great for champ. granted he gets a low ranked LW.

They probably couldn't imagine Volk would want to fight again so soon. But, yeah, there's no one available for a quick fight. Maybe Henry is indeed the best option.

Seemed like a normal fight announcement to me. I don't think we'll see Volk fight until next year, might as well have an eliminator.

a quick fight at LW should be great for champ. granted he gets a low ranked LW.
That's a pointless fight, champion only fight at 155. He doesn't need to get his feet wet, challenge for the title if he moves up to 155.

That's a pointless fight, champion only fight at 155. He doesn't need to get his feet wet, challenge for the title if he moves up to 155.
Silva always fought non title LHW fights. Maybe fight Gellespie or CDF

Helwani whines about it on his podcast and now everyone is following his lead. Cba.

It’s a perfectly fine fight to have / make. You think Volk is coming back in the next 3-4 months? Lol, no chance.

Reactions: HHJ
I think Max puts Yair away easily without taking much damage. they might be able to make the fight for Q1 2022.

volk is smart to take more fights. make more money while in your prime in this weak FW division.

This fight was already being talked about MONTHS before 266 even took place, and while it would have been much more "ideal "for Max to wait and get a rematch, it just speaks to the kind of fighter that he is that he'd rather take a fight and risk it than sit on the sidelines.

Him fighting Kattar and going back into the 3rd fight with Volkanovski might have done him more harm than good, and while it does provide CKB and Eugene more footage to work on, it goes both ways.

Go down the list of FW - Arnold Allen, Giga, Bryce. All streaking, all good match ups.

Silva always fought non title LHW fights. Maybe fight Gellespie or CDF
That's because champs didn't want to fight him and he was doing it to send a message to the division. Doing that now is pointless because you would rather risk it vs the champion instead of just someone else in the division. Volk can either move up to fight a random or move up and attempt to be a 2 division champion, it's better to go after the bigger goal.

What exactly are you suggesting was the opportunity missed here?

Volk v Max 3? not gonna happen.

Yair a straight shot to the belt? not gonna happen.

Volk wants a 155 title shot, that's crazy. He'll end up like Adesanya and go skulking back down to his proper weight class, tail between his legs.

OP
The fight was called off months ago because Max pulled out bc of injury It’s rebooked and rightfully so

I def want to see how Max handles a wiley TKD MMAist Will be interesting to say the least

I don't usually shit on the UFC
Why are you here?
nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.jpg

isnt holloway and yair just a month away? whats the big deal?

I mean I’m a huge Holloway fan and I think max is doing the right thing when he signed the bout agreement. If he puts yair away or dominates him (as many including pro’s suspect) it puts him in line for a clear title shot with no excuses to not give it to him. It would be 2 dominant wins over 2 top 10 guys in a row and clearly the only threat to volk in the division. Volk said he ia willing to go up to 55 and take a fight in the mean time. Let him taste the next division and give him a guy between 5-10. Let him see how he would fare. Then when max wins as most expect set up the trilogy. Max didn’t want to wait and wanted to scrap. It kind of sets up perfectly. No one else in the fw division currently deserves a TS. Eugene said he wants Alex to take the trilogy and Alex said he wants it now too. He said expects max to beat yair and is stylistically a nightmare for yair. So if max does what the majority think than we will get it.

UFC obviously wanted Ortega to win
I think they did too and I’m still not sure why so many people thought Brian had a good chance to win. At least in the stand up he isn’t on the same level as Alex. Alex fight iq and movement is just so much higher (stand up wise). He also has one of the best teams and they game plan really well. I always thought they only way Brian was going to win that fight was if he caught Alex in a sub but if you payed attention Alex was training with some world class bjj guys for that fight. So factoring that with his game planning and fight iq I just didn’t think there was much of a chance for Brian.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back