Ude Garami or Kimura/Americana is not a shoulder lock

Everybody here is right. When the arm is positioned in a certain way, it attacks the elbow and the elbow will dislocate before the shoulder. Positioned another way, it will chicken wing the shoulder before dislocating the elbow. Both ways affect both joints to some degree.

This is a stupid thread and I blame everybody.

It's potentially a compound move. The cleaned up, safer version is a shoulder lock only. However it's origins go back to armed combat, both in Japan and Europe, where disarms were needed against bladed weapons (in the UK and Europe it was known as Dagger Wrestling).

I'm not sure about Japan, but from European dagger wrestling the focus was to break the forearm, elbow and shoulder.

Also in wrestling this is where the pin originates from since getting a guy on his back allows you to go for a killing blow in the throat which is exposed, whereas the rest of the body is protected by armour such as chain mail.

It's potentially a compound move. The cleaned up, safer version is a shoulder lock only. However it's origins go back to armed combat, both in Japan and Europe, where disarms were needed against bladed weapons (in the UK and Europe it was known as Dagger Wrestling).

I'm not sure about Japan, but from European dagger wrestling the focus was to break the forearm, elbow and shoulder.

Also in wrestling this is where the pin originates from since getting a guy on his back allows you to go for a killing blow in the throat which is exposed, whereas the rest of the body is protected by armour such as chain mail.

I'm not sure why an armored opponent would be any more exposed by a pin on his back rather than a pin on his stomach. Both leave him fairly exposed to finishing blows.

The throat would not be exposed in most suits of armor. It is covered in most suits of chain or plate. You might be able to smash through it if you could take your time to deliver a well aimed blow, but you can do that from the front or the back.

The only consistently exposed target was the eyes. That seemed to have been a popular killing blow against a pinned opponent.

In my experience it's both. The shoulder is definitely where you feel the pain primarily, but I've had my elbow popped from an Americana.

Same here. I had my elbow dislocated from an Americana but I've also had my shoulder beat up pretty bad and I always feel the pain in my shoulder the most whether it's a Kimura or Americana.

Basically, Udegarami hurts both, and usually whichever joint is weaker (shoulder and elbow) will go first. But take it far enough and one or both will always go.

i think that the "americana" is more shoulder than anything. you are isolating that joint and using the elbow for leverage to torque the shoulder to get the tap. the kimura from side control, is also more geared to pressure the shoulder as well, but when applied Sakuraba/Renzo style is much more an elbow attack than a shoulder attack.

If you watch the Renzo/Saku fight though, Renzo's elbow popped out as he hit the ground. Sakuraba never even cranked the lock, even though he had the strong figure 4 grip.

ive popped 3 elbows and 2 shoulders on people not tapping in time.

basically the rule of thumb is to turn the hand out (away from his body) for the elbow, and keep it flat or slightly faced in for the shoulder.

if the person has a particular weakness in either the elbow or the shoulder it may go regardless.

They hurt my shoulders.

It is wrongly applied.

Uke's forearm, is used as a key (therefore a keylock) to apply pressure at the shoulder. It twists the shoulder joint past its natural range of motion. Eventually it'll break the elbow but only in the same way you can break a key off in a lock.

But is it not easier to break a key by putting it in a wrong lock so it won't turn? by twisting the arm perpendicular to the rotation of the shoulder you are giving a lot of room. By bending the arm in a position which is not perpendicular the shoulder doesn't has room to twist in a rotational way and the elbow will be targeted almost immediatly, and since there is no muscle that opposes the lateral twist of an elbow there is no resistance as opposed to the shoulder.

It can break arms, harm the elbow and destroy the shoulder.

So, you are right only to the extent that you mean that it is not solely a shoulder lock.

To the extent that you mean that it does not attack the shoulder, you are deflicted.

It doesn't attacks the shoulder when it properly applied, that's why KIMURA the man after the technique was named in BJJ snapped Helio's arm and not dislocated his shoulder. If you read the Canon of Judo of Mifune its also mentioned as an elbow lock. The video of Fedor also shows how its done to target the elbow. Watch the video.

Thanks for the insult though.

To call the dude retarded is uncalled for.

My guess is that the dude was simply never in an americana to know that if you don't tap your shoulder explodes.

Helio and Renzo had their ELBOWS busted from an Americana.

KIMURA, is the name given to the Ude Garami after MASAHIKO KIMURA busted Helio's ELBOW, not shoulder.

My guess is that you have never rolled with grappling experts who have trained all their lives and competed on the soviet bloc at the international level.

Try telling Fedor that his Kimura is wrong because it targets the elbow.

Attention graphic

YouTube - Sakuraba vs Renzo Gracie

Look at how Renzo elbow is completely twisted and his shoulder remains is unharmed.

The kimura is a shoulder lock that has the potenital to indeed hurt the elbow. I don't understand why you felt the need to type all that up it was completly pointless.

Because its not a shoulder lock, a properly applied Kimura, or ude garami as Masahiko Kimura applied to Helio and after the technique is called its an elbow lock.

My attention span isn't what it used to be- post a vid or something. I'm not reading that boring mass of words.

"Now why does this happens?"

Metalocalypse?

There is a video, do you feel compelled to troll so hard that you didn't even skimmed the post?

He bothered to post a treatise on something and is completely wrong about it, so spare me. But if you prefer....deflicted.

So the following people are retarded

Masahiko Kimura, Fedor Emelianenko, Kyuzo Mifune, Kasuzhi Sakuraba, Mitsuyo Maeda etc etc.

Again do you realize that Helio Gracie and Renzo Gracie had their ELBOWS busted and not their shoulders from the KIMURA, one of them precisely by Masahiko Kimura?

In my experience it's both. The shoulder is definitely where you feel the pain primarily, but I've had my elbow popped from an Americana.

Again if the attack comes from the proper angle you will feel an elbow pressure immediatly and your shoulder won't hurt, the only pressure you may feel from the shoulder of a properly applied kimura is muscle extension of the deltoids, but they won't be in danger.

I always felt them in the shoulder, but I did crack a guy's elbow with one before so I'm leaning towards both.

Depends on the angle, one of the defenses of the ude garami is bringing the arm up or down depending if reverse or normal ude garami in order to align the movement with the rotational motion of the shoulder and allow for more room.

Watch the video of Fedor at the correct angle there is no room for the elbow and there is little if any rotational motion, i mean you see at the Fedor video, you don't need to lift more than 10cm to break the elbow and that's way before the shoulder is in any danger.

i think that the "americana" is more shoulder than anything. you are isolating that joint and using the elbow for leverage to torque the shoulder to get the tap. the kimura from side control, is also more geared to pressure the shoulder as well, but when applied Sakuraba/Renzo style is much more an elbow attack than a shoulder attack.

Allowing the shoulder to rotate its in itself a bad idea and a wrong way to put the submission, the shoulder is flexible and to be able to crank it you need much more room, the elbow doesn't has any movement sideways. Again if you feel it in the shoulder its wrong and its not a "Kimura" if we refer to the "Kimura" as the lock that Kimura used against Helio.

I even did your test, and it affected my shoulder. It is a shoulder lock plain and simple, it can affect the elbow, but it targets the shoulder. The forearm is a lever used for the rotation of the shoulder. Flexibility doesn't have so much to do with not being able to get the lock as not being able to use the proper mechanics does.

You did it wrong, simple as that, there is simply not a correct biomechanical way to do so. If we go by anatomy you probably engaged the medial and lateral rotation of the shoulder joint, try again, this time don't lift the wrist or the shoulder. In fact if you can lift your elbow joint is because you are engaging one of the shoulder muscles as there is no muscle in the arm that can perform such movement.

If you mean it doesn't affect the shoulder then you're wrong but if you mean that it is primarily not a shoulder lock then I see where you're coming from.

It shouldn't affect the shoulder, at most if should be a moderate pain from muscle tension.

lol if you think it is only meant to attack the elbow your sorely mistaken. attacking the elbow with it requires a little more strength and a strong grip on the wrist. the shoulder lock can be done with just a hook grip and drawn in a direction thats a bit harder for the opponent to resist so if anything the elbow lock is probably slightly worse technique.

I'm not sure why an armored opponent would be any more exposed by a pin on his back rather than a pin on his stomach. Both leave him fairly exposed to finishing blows.

The throat would not be exposed in most suits of armor. It is covered in most suits of chain or plate. You might be able to smash through it if you could take your time to deliver a well aimed blow, but you can do that from the front or the back.

The only consistently exposed target was the eyes. That seemed to have been a popular killing blow against a pinned opponent.

The helmet covers the back of the head and base of the neck. However tilt the head up and you can expose the throat, especially if it's only chain mail armour. Heavy suits of armour normally worn by those with heavy weapons like a battle axe or mace.

lol if you think it is only meant to attack the elbow your sorely mistaken. attacking the elbow with it requires a little more strength and a strong grip on the wrist. the shoulder lock can be done with just a hook grip and drawn in a direction thats a bit harder for the opponent to resist so if anything the elbow lock is probably slightly worse technique.

1.- Certainly not, as with all techniques, when improperly applied they can hit something else, my old judo teacher had a mean tricep muscle extension lock done with the ude garami, but that's illegal and its less efficient than the elbow lock, he does it in submission grappling when the opponent is resisting the americana by driving the hand back into a safer angle.

However the Kimura specially (both reverse and normal), which was called after a judoka its an elbow lock.

2.- The elbow lock is a lot easier because there is no MUSCLE that resists the lateral flexion or extension of the elbow. There is when properly applied no need to lift or twist yourself out of the ground as it comes INSTANTLY as opposed to the shoulder one which can be resisted and where you have to lose position. The elbow is immediatly dislocated with little force as the opponent cannot resist that motion, its your entire upper body vs an unnatural angle or a joint.

Again ill post the video of Fedor showing proper Kimura/Americana technique.

Take special notice on how, as he moves the direction of the force away from (in this case) extension movement of the elbow, there is less recruiting of said movement, the elbow cannot move sideways, you can lift the elbow from the ground ONLY because of shoulder movement. Fedor moves the angle of the force in a way that the rotational force is no longer perpendicular with the shoulder joint and as such its unable to turn and lift the elbow from the ground.

YouTube - Fedor Emelianenko - Optimal kimura ranges (MMA & UFC DVD)

Well why don't you just tell Professor Pedro Sauer that he wrongly applied a Kimura and an Americana then.

Rod1 should be batsuguned to brown belt for this thread.

an undefended kimura or americana will destroy a shoulder. if the opponent struggles and changes the angle in doing so then the elbow may be damaged.

but a picture perfect, just like you drill it, kimura or americana targets the shoulder. at least how i was taught to do them

Things like this are why people often laugh at judo. It's comical to focus so much on goofball theoretical semantics that have little relation to practical reality, all in the name of defending some tiresome "principle" that never made sense and never will.

Make no mistake, I don't mean to slag on the art of judo, which I love and respect, it's a slag on how a lot of judo guys talk.

Well why don't you just tell Professor Pedro Sauer that he wrongly applied a Kimura and an Americana then.

Ad hominem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But if you want to go that way Kyuzo Mifune labels it as an elbow lock. If you are friends with Pedro Sauer by all means tell him what i said, if im wrong he will have a technical explanation.

an undefended kimura or americana will destroy a shoulder. if the opponent struggles and changes the angle in doing so then the elbow may be damaged.

but a picture perfect, just like you drill it, kimura or americana targets the shoulder. at least how i was taught to do them

Again, if that's how its teached, then the Kimura is not the technique used by Kimura to defeat Helio, and its not as efficient as the elbow lock.

Things like this are why people often laugh at judo.

Who laughes at Judo? last time it checked its a sport practiced in the entire world and part of the Olympics since 1964, it also invented the modern martial system of teaching and has spawned many derivate sports and self-defense systems, including BJJ.

It's comical to focus so much on goofball theoretical semantics that have little relation to practical reality, all in the name of defending some tiresome "principle" that never made sense and never will.

So anatomy is "theorical semantics that have little relation to practical reality" go tell that to traumatologists.

Make no mistake, I don't mean to slag on the art of judo, which I love and respect, it's a slag on how a lot of judo guys talk.

Talk? im not talking about zen principles im talking about pure simple WESTERN anatomy. God forbid people actually give explanations instead of asking for blind faith like some sort of cult.

My judo teacher always told me "Trust nobody, not even me, always ask how and why things work".

It can break arms, harm the elbow and destroy the shoulder.

So, you are right only to the extent that you mean that it is not solely a shoulder lock.

To the extent that you mean that it does not attack the shoulder, you are deflicted.

I hate to be the second monkey on your back ( :p ) but is that even a word?

The shoulders are goin! lol

Seriously though... Does this need to continue? Almost everyone here has had an elbow and/or shoulder hurt the move. It works. It'll blow your elbow out of place. It'll tear your rotator cuff. That's all I need to know.

Back