Uchi Mata - The throw of the Kings.

no i'm about 6'1". personally i think my set-up for the throw is too slow and my leg positioning feels off.

If you're that tall, you should grab deep over the opponent's back.

I'm only 5'8 or 5'9 and that throw is money for me, except against taller guys like yourself.

no i'm about 6'1". personally i think my set-up for the throw is too slow and my leg positioning feels off.

The biggest problem I had with Uchi Mata was not committing to the throw enough. Don't head-dive but you do really need to go for it. When I got this my Uchi Mata became really high percentage.

If you're that tall, you should grab deep over the opponent's back.

I'm 6'1" and I'd have to disagree. The standard lapel grip is best as you need to be turning them with the throw, which is very hard to do with an over-the-back or even high collar grip. Also, over the back grips open you up for a lot of koshi-waza and if the guy is shorter than you it's quite easy to duck under your grip.

yeah the over the back grip is the only way i've hit the throw, but it's hard to get that grip on people in my division (the fatties).

I'm 6'1" and I'd have to disagree. The standard lapel grip is best as you need to be turning them with the throw, which is very hard to do with an over-the-back or even high collar grip. Also, over the back grips open you up for a lot of koshi-waza and if the guy is shorter than you it's quite easy to duck under your grip.

Just have to get off first. Any throw can be countered.

Uchi mata is my jam. I dig it, and use it from the regular grip, high collar and Russian 2 on 1 type grips.

It has only been in the last six months or so that this throw has been really clicking for me. I agree that lapel and sleeve is the easiest to hit this from but I can also get it from whizzer and sleeve as the belt grip. I find that when I concentrate on spinning my opponent with my grips and tai sabaki they land on their backs almost all the time. I am only 5'8' and I can throw partners in randori who are over six feet tall.

I really like uchi mata, but don't have the judo pedigree to pull it off as a pretty hip throw. I do more of a freestyle wrestling kind of uchi mata from the whizzer, using my leg to elevate the opponent's and toppling him over like with a butterfly sweep. I also use it to set up the far ankle pick, especially from the 2 on 1. Uchi mata from the knees is a favorite of mine as well to kill single leg attacks from the half guard.

I love judo, but I severely dislike any throws that blatantly open up your back like the Uchi Mata. So many of the winners in the highlight landed with their backs taken.

It'll probably come as shock to everyone, but I do love this throw, though I never use it in BJJ due to roll through risk.

I do find it odd that those who whine the most about how this or that throw 'exposes your back' in Judo matches, tend to be the same people who so vigorously agitate in favour of the non-standard gripping that is the most likely grip to lead you to perform a throw and then end up in a sub optimal position for use in BJJ matches.

I'm not really sure how they square that circle, but they given that they think elite Judoka should fight using BJJ tactics geared around BJJ rules, despite being in a Judo match I'm not sure where you start arguing with them or if it is even worth doing so.

I love judo, but I severely dislike any throws that blatantly open up your back like the Uchi Mata. So many of the winners in the highlight landed with their backs taken.

In Judo guys over rotate to they ensure that the opponent falls onto their back thus ending the match. Olympic level Judoka have cat like reflexes to land on 'all fours' as to not lose so it makes sense to roll onto the ground after the throw. There is no chance to spin out of it.

That said Uchi Mata can be done standing will no chance (heaven forbid) of the back getting exposed. My goal in 2013 is to get a reasonable Uchi Mata attack, it's a great throw to have in the arsenal.

Just like pulling guard and butt scooting, the rules influence the game.

I do find it odd that those who whine the most about how this or that throw 'exposes your back' in Judo matches, tend to be the same people who so vigorously agitate in favour of the non-standard gripping that is the most likely grip to lead you to perform a throw and then end up in a sub optimal position for use in BJJ matches.

I'm not really sure how they square that circle, but they given that they think elite Judoka should fight using BJJ tactics geared around BJJ rules, despite being in a Judo match I'm not sure where you start arguing with them or if it is even worth doing so.

What non-standard gripping are you talking about? Same-side grips?

I find that to be true in judo competitions, because of their focus on how the opponent lands. They roll through.

When I do this throw in BJJ competitions, which is fairly often, I've had no trouble controlling the throw so that I land in top position.

I find that to be true in judo competitions, because of their focus on how the opponent lands. They roll through.

When I do this throw in BJJ competitions, which is fairly often, I've had no trouble controlling the throw so that I land in top position.

i love this throw and i have yet to have my back taken from it... i very rarely hit the high amplitude version though

TS annoys me. period. end of story.

Most difficult throw in judo. I hope I can learn it one day. Supposedly it takes no effort if done correctly. I feel retarded when I try it though lol

Most difficult throw in judo. I hope I can learn it one day. Supposedly it takes no effort if done correctly. I feel retarded when I try it though lol

I went to a seminar where kosei inoue taught his uchi-mata. I started drilling the technique and managed to hit it once in a way that was completely effortless. I had been training maybe 3 years up until that point and had honestly never felt a throw come off so easy. I came home from the seminar with a newfavourite throw and nower-days people always comment on my deadly uchi-mata. :icon_twis
For me, the key is stepping on the inside, and sweeping closer to the opponents far-inside leg. That one tip made a huge difference.

Last edited:
Back