Uber vs Lyft......

mb23100

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Which do you guys prefer? Ive always used Uber but ive heard Lyft gives you more free credit for using it. Anyone have an opinion on which is better and why?

I drove for Lyft for awhile. That shit ain't worth the time, imo. I'm sure people make money at it but fuck that shit.

Both arent allowed in Ireland, yet. Ill reply in a year or 2

Lyft hasn't launched all throughout Australia yet, so haven't used it. Uber still dominates that space. There are other apps here though, Ola is getting big. Apparently Ola is the Uber of India. It's all the same drivers on both services anyway so it comes down to who is doing good promo's for me.

One nice thing about Uber is travelling and how slick it is all over the world.
I can fly to Indonesia, New Zealand, the US, whatever and just open the app and get a ride without worrying about currency, etc. Seamless.

Uber for international
Lyft for domestic (american)

Lyft tends to be a dollar or two cheaper and their surge prices are time dependent, not traffic dependent

Uber has better customer support, is supported in more markets and generally has better availability. Plus their rewards system is pretty good and is more.predictable. Lyft will drop free credit or sales randomly so it's good for things in town if you dont feel like the hassle of parking or driving.

lyft had a leak in credit card info and we got hosed for thousands, as did many others

I drove for Lyft for awhile. That shit ain't worth the time, imo. I'm sure people make money at it but fuck that shit.
I don't know if anyone really knows how much or how little money they actually make. I've never seen the proper 'all-in' calc.

What Uber and Lyft do, to a large extent is unlock the future value of your vehicle and pay you with that. Pay you with your own equity.

So if you buy a $30K HOnda Accord and don't drive Uber your maintenance costs over 5 years until you sell the car will be $X and your resale $Y.

If you DO drive Uber your maintenance costs will be many multiples higher or $X and your resale much lower than $Y. Thousands lower. Maybe 10's of thousands lower for a mile'd out car with now no resale value.

Most do not consider that. They just see the extra few hundred a month they have NOW to spend on bills and do not realize most or all of it is simply their own vehicle equity. That had they not driven Uber and sold the vehicle after 5 years without that wear and tear they might have made the exact same money over the 5 years that Uber added but in a lump sum instead of weekly.

I don't know if anyone really knows how much or how little money they actually make. I've never seen the proper 'all-in' calc.

What Uber and Lyft do, to a large extent is unlock the future value of your vehicle and pay you with that. Pay you with your own equity.

So if you buy a $30K HOnda Accord and don't drive Uber your maintenance costs over 5 years until you sell the car will be $X and your resale $Y.

If you DO drive Uber your maintenance costs will be many multiples higher or $X and your resale much lower than $Y. Thousands lower. Maybe 10's of thousands lower for a mile'd out car with now no resale value.

Most do not consider that. They just see the extra few hundred a month they have NOW to spend on bills and do not realize most or all of it is simply their own vehicle equity. That had they not driven Uber and sold the vehicle after 5 years without that wear and tear they might have made the exact same money over the 5 years that Uber added but in a lump sum instead of weekly.

<{Joewithit}>

Good thing I'm not poor and have a real job.

Uber is so convenient. Especially when I travel for business. Don’t have to rent a car and drive. No need to find parking and pay. In the end, I pay the same or even less than renting.

Which do you guys prefer? Ive always used Uber but ive heard Lyft gives you more free credit for using it. Anyone have an opinion on which is better and why?
Look at the itemized receipts they send you after you ride. Uber always has additional charges above the estimate (to include a $2 service fee). There is also a fee they charge you for making your driver wait. If your driver does not turn this off, it continues to run. I have seen additional charges of about $6 because the driver left it running throughout my entire trip, and noticed that they always seem to leave it running. I have never seen Lyft add additional charges, and the final total was always consistent with my estimate. I always use Lyft now.

Last edited:
I find Uber is usually a little cheaper here in New York but I use both especially when surges happen. I'll just pick whoever is cheaper.

I've used lyft most of the time. Had really good service for long trips to and from the airport.

When i need a ride, I choose a professional driver, a cab or a towncar. Uber and Lyft are for plebes.

Back