U.S. sent cash to free American hostages from Iran.

"We don't negotiate with terrorists."

Except Obama. He does. But of course, $0.4B is a drop in the bucket compared to the billions they'll be flush with due to his deal with them.

Weak, horrible President.
Iran is a nation-state and not defined as "terrorists".

Did anyone read the article before trying to crucify Obama? nope.

Not me. But now that I'm over the shock of this thread being current, doesn't Congress approve expenditures?

Obama is just paying US debts.

The money represented the first installment of a $1.7 billion settlement the Obama administration reached with Iran to resolve a decades-old dispute over a failed arms deal signed just before the 1979 fall of Iran’s last monarch, Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi.

The settlement, which resolved claims before an international tribunal in The Hague, also coincided with the formal implementation that same weekend of the landmark nuclear agreement reached between Tehran, the U.S. and other global powers the summer before.

You want someone that negotiates with terrorists? every single republican president in the last 30 years has.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/features/general-article/reagan-iran/

Funny how you turn into a warmongerer when it comes to Iran, but you look into a policy of appeasement when it comes to Saudi Arabia.

You think it's coincidence that they decided to do this now, 36 years after the fact. I don't think you understand that before the hostages were taken, there were no plans to pay this "debt", no instalments were coming.

The validity of the debt is questionable, the 1.3B extra is a farce considering the circumstances under which it happened. This is random money, Obama was forced into complying with a sham settlement in exchange for the hostages.

You think it's coincidence that they decided to do this now, 36 years after the fact. I don't think you understand that before the hostages were taken, there were no plans to pay this "debt", no instalments were coming.

The validity of the debt is questionable, the 1.3B extra is a farce considering the circumstances under which it happened. This is random money, Obama was forced into complying with a sham settlement in exchange for the hostages.

1.- Because for 36 years Iran and America never saw each other eye to eye, the Iranian nuclear deal opened the chance to settle old disputes. Its not like Reagan literally giving arms in exchange for hostages, this was a debt that would had to be paid down the road.

2.- The validity of the debt is not questionable otherwise you open up a can of worms where any country can default on their obligations by claiming the debt was accrued with a different regime.

3.- Adjusted for inflation alone those 400 million would be 1.3 billion, if given a 5% interest rate (which would be barely above inflation) it would be 2.3 billions.

Last edited:
Funny how people think the president can dispose of 400 millions in cash on a whim.

Last edited:
How do you know it was for the hostages? Just because it was around the same time, doesn't mean it was a payoff. Iran had billions of its money seized and now after the deal they want it back. So the $400 million could be part of that payment or it could be anything.

Have to wait and see , too early to tell.

How do you know it was for the hostages? Just because it was around the same time, doesn't mean it was a payoff. Iran had billions of its money seized and now after the deal they want it back. So the $400 million could be part of that payment or it could be anything.

Have to wait and see , too early to tell.

We don't have to wait and see. It's right in the article no one read.

"The money represented the first installment of a $1.7 billion settlement the Obama administration reached with Iran to resolve a decades-old dispute over a failed arms deal signed just before the 1979 fall of Iran’s last monarch, Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi."

"We don't negotiate with terrorists."

Except Obama. He does. But of course, $0.4B is a drop in the bucket compared to the billions they'll be flush with due to his deal with them.

Weak, horrible President.

We've been negotiating with Terrorists for years. I spent the bulk of my two tours in Iraq negotiating with terrorists, and I had never heard of Barack Obama when I was in Iraq.

How much do you want to bet that a major story like this doesn't even bump the irrelevant Trump story (with the crying baby) off the top of the headlines?

It's amazing how many certified bombshells have been swept under the rug or given minimal coverage during this election all in an effort to destroy Trump.

It's amazing how many certified bombshells have been swept under the rug or given minimal coverage during this election all in an effort to destroy Trump.

We are the middle of an orchestrated media assault. They were implicated in the DNC emails, have closed ranks and responded exactly as expected.

The optics are horrible, it is a ransom. The release was coordinated with this payment and associated with a failed arms deal from 1979? if you buy this that's hilarious. Where there's smoke there's fire.

Why would we send cash in multiple currencies in an unmarked plane?

The optics are horrible, it is a ransom. The release was coordinated with this payment and associated with a failed arms deal from 1979? if you buy this that's hilarious. Where there's smoke there's fire.

Exactly. The defenders are so predictable. When I saw that excerpt in the article I knew that they would use that excuse to deny and defend

Exactly. The defenders are so predictable. When I saw that excerpt in the article I knew that they would use that excuse to deny and defend
I honestly don't understand how you can defend it. If you don't think during negotiations Iran said pay us $400m and we said oh yeah sure we'll just tell everyone it's from 1979 disagreement then send it unmarked.

How much do you want to bet that a major story like this doesn't even bump the irrelevant Trump story (with the crying baby) off the top of the headlines?

CNN ain't covering this shit, Khan is much more important

So it's either a ransom or one hell of a back payment.

Except it was not a failed arms deal, they paid for the weapons and were never delivered or had a return.

And they wanted cash because of how the US has repeatedly frozen Iranian assets over the years.

So yeah, you would also ask for cash if your bank repeatedly denied you access to your own money.

Back