U.S. Senator Says Russians have Penetrated Florida Election Systems

15 years ago it was republicans paranoid by al quada and now it’s democrats paranoid by Russia.

I used to be left wing and now I’m right wing. I didn’t change, the stupidity shifted.

why not care about actual problems?
like actual rigging done by the own party

40% of Republicans think Russia is friendly or an ally, up from 22% in 2014 https://news.gallup.com/poll/237137/republicans-positive-relations-russia.aspx

32% of Republicans think Russia interfered in the 2016 election https://www.vox.com/2018/7/19/17586390/poll-russia-trump-election-interference-republicans

71% of Republicans approved of Trump's secret meeting and presser in Helsinki https://slate.com/news-and-politics...s-handling-of-russia-even-after-helsinki.html

So the short answer to your question is YES.
50% of all stats are misleading, taken out of context, completely wrong or completely made up, maybe this is one of them.

I'm sure the election hacking is a sexier topic, but this seems a bit more important immediately.

Russian hackers infiltrated US power networks and had the ability to trigger massive blackouts

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bu...ackers-dragonfly-us-utilities-networks-2018-7

I'm with you on this being important, but this isn't particularly new. They do it in Ukraine as a matter of BAU now, and, in general, grid isn't a new attack surface. SCADA hacks have been escalating in scale since before Stuxnet. It's only a matter of time before a big hit happens here, but the problem is not technical capability (your jaw would drop if you understood the magnitude of the problem, starting from the fact that an insanely high % of networked grid equipment has security on par with your smart toaster - which is to say anywhere on the scale of none to hardcoded credentials at the manufacturer level) - the reason why we still haven't had a bad fail is attribution, or the fact that you really have to be good at hiding your tracks if you're gonna fuck with the grid of a country that can bite back. Ukraine could only complain but unfortunately they couldn't do anything about it, or get support from other allies. The US would probably treat it as an act of war if it happened here and attribution was successful.

WE SHOULD BE WORRIED ABOUT RUSSIA HACKING OUR ELECTION...HOWEVER WE DON'T NEED STATE IDs FOR VOTING BECAUSE THAT IS RACIST...UNLESS WE FORCE EVERYONE TO VOTE...ONCE WE RID OF THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE FIRST...AND WE SHOULD ALSO REFUSE TO ANSWER CENSUS QUESTIONS THAT EFFECT HOW MANY REPRESENTATIVES OUR STATES CAN GET...DAMMIT PUTIN!!!!
Do you really need someone to explain this to you, or are you just trying to get cheap internet points from other dummies?

"Could be Russians, could be Botswana, could be Outer Mongolia. Could be a fat guy in his basement, lots of people hack, if you know anything about hacking. I agree with our Intelligence agencies. But they're corrupt and wrong. I don't see why it would be Russia. Putin denied it and I believe him."

WE SHOULD BE WORRIED ABOUT RUSSIA HACKING OUR ELECTION...HOWEVER WE DON'T NEED STATE IDs FOR VOTING BECAUSE THAT IS RACIST...UNLESS WE FORCE EVERYONE TO VOTE...ONCE WE RID OF THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE FIRST...AND WE SHOULD ALSO REFUSE TO ANSWER CENSUS QUESTIONS THAT EFFECT HOW MANY REPRESENTATIVES OUR STATES CAN GET...DAMMIT PUTIN!!!!
ALL CAPS, EDGY!

(Reuters) - Russian operatives have penetrated some of Florida’s election systems and could delete registered voters ahead of the November elections if the systems are not adequately protected, Florida U.S. Senator Bill Nelson told the Tampa Bay Times on Wednesday.

“They have already penetrated certain counties in the state and they now have free rein to move about,” Nelson told the newspaper, which posted an audio recording of the interview on its website.

Democrat Nelson and Republican Senator Marco Rubio of Florida wrote a letter last month to the state’s 67 county election supervisors about potential threats, the newspaper said. But that letter lacked the specificity Nelson has laid out, according to the Times.

“We were requested by the chairman and vice chairman of the (Senate) Intelligence Committee to let supervisors of election in Florida know that the Russians are in their records,” Nelson told the newspaper.

But the state department that oversees elections pushed back against Nelson’s comments, saying it received “zero information” from Nelson, federal or state agencies to support the infiltration claim. Nelson is running for re-election in November against Florida Governor Rick Scott.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...lection-systems-tampa-bay-times-idUSKBN1KU003

Bad news. We really need money and support for bolstering our election systems nationwide.

This needs everyone to support it.

So the Senator made the claim, but didn't provide any supporting information or evidence to the folks in charge of securing the election systems?

Our Federal networks are hammered every day by foreign hackers . . . some get their foot in the door through phishing emails, etc. I know our network has blocked all incoming and outgoing traffic to dozens of countries. State systems should be doing the same thing.

So were they able to prove this? Or is this another tin foil hate scenario?

Back