U.S. Navy plane told: ‘This is China...LEAVE IMMEDIATELY’

squeezewax

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
The Chinese in the South China Sea is going to cause huge problems for other countries around the world, i believe. So many container ships pass thru' this sea.
For quite some time i've believed that sometime in the future China will capture some of these ships and hold them for ransom. Especially the ones transporting oil to countries such as Australia.[our oil reserves are extremely small, i think it's only about 3 weeks worth.]
If a country is starved of oil supplies it'll grind to a halt after a while. China will have all the bargaining power and could demand all types of things in return for allowing the ships to sail on.

I don't trust the Chinese dictator at all. IMO he plans to eventually have a Chinese world empire, something he has denied in the past. They have been in Africa for sometime now, and i just read that they are investing $23 billion into Bangladesh. They are doing a lot of things for some of the poorer nations of the world and it's not being done out of the goodness of their hearts.
They are the biggest outside threat to the West.

I'm sure some of you think this is all shit so we'll just have to wait and see. The only country that can challenge China is America, no European nation would.
I wouldn't be surprized if some of these NATO countries refused to ally with the United States if America does challenge China at some time over something. I think it's possible an ally would lose it's courage to do so.
I think Trump is the right President to stand up to China, i don't believe he'd be gutless like Obama.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1001656/China-US-latest-WW3-fears-South-China-Sea-US-Navy

In April the military placed missiles on the Spratly island chain during naval exercises.

This broke a promise by President Xi Jinping to then US-President Barack Obama in 2015 that the Chinese government would not militarise the artificial islands.

Experts claim that time is running out to challenge China's claims in the South China Sea.

China is doing to countries around the world what was done to it the past two or more centuries or so. Imperialism.
But they don’t have the gunboats to back up that imperialism. They haven’t leaned from their own history. Good luck, Chiner!

Our recent media kafuffle regarding Australia's oil security was about the Middle East situation, not the South China sea.
The shipping routes from Singapore to Freemantle aren't effected by the Spratly Islands dispute.
If it got to the point where South Korean and Japanese shipping to Australia was being blockaded, our concerns would extend far beyond just oil security.
China's our biggest trading partner, if we allow things to get that bad we're screwed regardless.

QuarterlySnoopyKodiakbear-max-1mb.gif

Yeah because what China really needs would be a massive disruption of international trade.
Thanks to globalization economies are so depended on each other that something like this becomes impossible.
A trade war or blockades of that proportion would lead to a collapse of the communist regime very quickly.
That is of course if the situation would be China vs everyone in the South China seas and their allies.

Yeah because what China really needs would be a massive disruption of international trade.
Thanks to globalization economies are so depended on each other that something like this becomes impossible.
A trade war or blockades of that proportion would lead to a collapse of the communist regime very quickly.
That is of course if the situation would be China vs everyone in the South China seas and their allies.

If China blockaded Japan and South Korea it wouldn't just be a trade war.
Of course Trump has been somewhat contradictory in his stance, as have the members of his administration, but regardless of their incoherent foreign policy I don't believe the US is going to step down to that degree over the next decade.

China is so much smarter than the OP is giving them credit for. Their warfare is economic.

If China blockaded Japan and South Korea it wouldn't just be a trade war.
Of course Trump has been somewhat contradictory in his stance, as have the members of his administration, but regardless of their incoherent foreign policy I don't believe the US is going to step down to that degree over the next decade.

Yeah, I just don't see what China would gain from escalating the situation in the South China sea to an extent that it leads to war. Especially because they would probably lose that war anyway. If the communist regime would even see the end of the war.
They are still an oppressive regime the people only put up with because it brings prosperity at the moment.
It is on borrowed time anyway a serious economic downturn would be the end of it IMO.

Yeah, I just don't see what China would gain from escalating the situation in the South China sea to an extent that it leads to war. Especially because they would probably lose that war anyway. If the communist regime would even see the end of the war.
They are still an oppressive regime the people only put up with because it brings prosperity at the moment.
It is on borrowed time anyway a serious economic downturn would be the end of it IMO.

Yes, I don't think that's their intention.
"Yellow Peril" scaremongering has a long history in Australia and rationality has nothing to do with it.
It's the sort of thing that has farmers burying guns in the top end, not really the province of legitimate political analysis.

Sooner or later, China is coming for Taiwan.

No. Taiwan is a business partner. Only idealogs care. The blow back in terms of sanctions would outweigh any gains.

The Chinese are gearing to win any conflict in a knock out punch, or to disrupt in stages to gain more strategic advantage.

They of course back down when faced with real and viable force, and then renegotiate/cheat on the backside. That's how modern Sino-American relations have tended to go in the last 30 odd years.

A war is not at all inevitable or impossible, however, when you have too hyper-Nationalistic bodies with a lot of pride who think they can win, things can possibly escalate quickly, and then a side attempts to seize what it can in the short term strategic conflict.

- China thinks it has that power

- Japan is still fairly confident knowing the USA is behind them

Further, China is not accelerating it's proxy push to control the islands and outright militarize them by accident, and in the event of war, they have a lot of goals and contingencies on what they can seize/how to make the USA not want that fight.

It's very unlikely though, at least, until the moment it is not.

Sooner or later, China is coming for Taiwan.
Very low likelihood for a number of reasons. Even if China attacked, Taiwan could defend itself even with only minimal assistance from the US.

I think China will be an increasingly belligerent problem over the next two to three decades and then it will implode, which will create a whole new set of problems. Right now they have enough young men to stir up problems outside their borders, but they are constrained by technology and a declining but still muscular US. In a few decades all those fighting age Chinese men will be middle aged to retirement age and China will not even have enough young people to take care of them, much less project power outside their borders.

The Chinese are gearing to win any conflict in a knock out punch, or to disrupt in stages to gain more strategic advantage.

That ole 'decisive battle' chestnut? That has, and will never work on an enemy whose industrial base surpasses your own, and is effectively untouchable. ask the japanese.

Back