U.S. drinking water widely contaminated with toxic 'Forever Chemicals' that cause health problems

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by TidWell, Jan 22, 2020.

1. TidWell Steel Belt

Dang I guess Eddie Bravo is on to something, they trying to sicken us with the water man :(.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The contamination of U.S. drinking water with man-made "forever chemicals" is far worse than previously estimated with some of the highest levels found in Miami, Philadelphia and New Orleans, said a report on Wednesday by an environmental watchdog group.

The chemicals, resistant to breaking down in the environment, are known as perfluoroalkyl substances, or PFAS. Some have been linked to cancers, liver damage, low birth weight and other health problems.

The findings https://www.ewg.org/research/national-pfas-testing by the Environmental Working Group (EWG) show the group's previous estimate in 2018, based on unpublished U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) data, that 110 million Americans may be contaminated with PFAS, could be far too low.

"It's nearly impossible to avoid contaminated drinking water from these chemicals," said David Andrews, a senior scientist at EWG and co-author of the report.

The chemicals were used in products like Teflon and Scotchguard and in firefighting foam. Some are used in a variety of other products and industrial processes, and their replacements also pose risks.

Of tap water samples taken by EWG from 44 sites in 31 states and Washington D.C., only one location, Meridian, Mississippi, which relies on 700 foot (215 m) deep wells, had no detectable PFAS. Only Seattle and Tuscaloosa, Alabama had levels below 1 part per trillion (PPT), the limit EWG recommends.

In addition, EWG found that on average six to seven PFAS compounds were found at the tested sites, and the effects on health of the mixtures are little understood. "Everyone's really exposed to a toxic soup of these PFAS chemicals," Andrews said.

In 34 places where EWG's tests found PFAS, contamination had not been publicly reported by the EPA or state environmental agencies.

The EPA has known since at least 2001 about the problem of PFAS in drinking water but has so far failed to set an enforceable, nationwide legal limit. The EPA said early last year it would begin the process to set limits on two of the chemicals, PFOA and PFOS.

The EPA said it has helped states and communities address PFAS and that it is working to put limits on the two main chemicals but did not give a timeline.

In 2018 a draft report from an office of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services said the risk level for exposure to the chemicals should be up to 10 times lower than the 70 PPT threshold the EPA recommends. The White House and the EPA had tried to stop the report from being published.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-drinking-water-widely-contaminated-050229550.html

2. Aegon Spengler Gold Belt

I assume spread by The Forever People?

[​IMG]

3. magicmarker Brown Belt

Rainsoft is the way to go. I was skeptical about it before I got it but I have been impressed and now think it’s worth it. jmho

4. Midnighter Silver Belt

Good thing I only drink Cambodian breast milk.

5. JabToucher Banned Banned

Uk's waters fucked up too!

Some years ago I kept many cold water & exotic fish aquariums. No issues whatsoever and was relatively easy to maintain.

Two years ago I took up the hobby again and a lot of my fish died between one month and 5.

Now you have to use water treatments to deal with the fluoride and other added chemicals fish shouldn't be in contact with.

6. Grave Saver ******WTF Belt****** Platinum Member

Fake News

7. Smokes Black Belt

8. BisexualMMA Don't Put My Name in the Name of Steroids!

9. Estemachine Gold Belt

Good thing I wash my car with Fiji water.

10. Aegon Spengler Gold Belt

Canadian water makes our dicks bigger and nicer

11. OneManOrgy Banned Banned

Ontario has some of the worst water in Canada, the water in my town is pure garbage. You can taste the chemicals in it, it gives me heart burn and upset stomach. It use to make me throw up, no joke. I have a sensitive stomach though.

12. Drain Bamage Guitar God 420

Nothing wrong with a little teflon in the liver imo

13. all caps Gold Belt

Sounds like one of those potential domestic terrorist conspiracy theories TBH

14. TSO Pink Belt

Hahaha! I just pump pure clean water out of the ground.

15. Strychnine Steel Belt

Why fix it when those that don't survive weren't worthy of MAGA anyway!

<TheDonald>

16. Aegon Spengler Gold Belt

Holy shit. That’s awful. Is that North Ontario?

17. OneManOrgy Banned Banned

Yep, I live in a small town and the water is a big problem here. They just ignore it though.

18. ScarfaceJr All praise honor & glory to the most High

what uhhh drinking water we talkin bout here?

like uhh tap water?
    poisoned rivers & streams?

ARE MY DEER PARK WATER BOTTLES FUCKED?!?!?!

ehh who am i kidding with he chemtrails and shit they been poisoning us for decades

19. Bobby 3 Sticks Brown Belt

Looking for a group to dig a 700 foot hole. Anyone wanna join?

20. Aegon Spengler Gold Belt

That is some god damn bullshit. Any way average people could help? Do you have anyone you write letters too or anything. I could email them or sign whatever petition?