Tyson training Ngannou

The Big Bang

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Tyson seems like he would be a potentially GREAT trainer in certain aspects of power boxing.

WAR Ngannou!

WAR Tyson!

there's nothing more disgusting than reposting old videos

A truly terrifying combination of KO artists lol

Francis seems so lost there mainly a language barrier I'm sure but also he seems stunned by Tyson's movement.

In before...

"Francis' boxing technique is fine, he was sloppy against Jarizinho on purpose for the sake of strategy, that's what his coaches said."

and...

"Francis wasn't throwing arm punches, and the footwork doesn't matter because it was a blitz"

Francis seems so lost there mainly a language barrier I'm sure but also he seems stunned by Tyson's movement.
Yeah there was a disconnect there. Ngannou said he struggles to move to his right and Tyson demonstrates how to move to his right but doesn't seem to pick up that Ngannou doesn't know how to do the same. I don't think Tyson will be a good trainer because he misses real basics that someone like Ngannou doesn't have.

Yeah there was a disconnect there. Ngannou said he struggles to move to his right and Tyson demonstrates how to move to his right but doesn't seem to pick up that Ngannou doesn't know how to do the same. I don't think Tyson will be a good trainer because he misses real basics that someone like Ngannou doesn't have.
I agree especially with the last bit about Mike not teaching him the basics first. He should have Ngannou working on nothing else but the fundamentals for the foreseeable future if he wants him to learn to box. Another issue I have here is that Mike is teaching him the style of a swarmer/crowder which almost certainly isn't going to fully translate to Ngannou's body type and dimensions.

Rather than having Ngannou get in on opponents, and give up his natural reach advantage in the process, he should be teaching him primarily to utilize his physical advantages first and foremost. There have been plenty of exceptions to that conventional wisdom but I don't think Ngannou could ever be one of them. He doesn't have the necessary attributes to make that style/approach very effective. He obviously doesn't have the stamina required, the punch output, the mental sharpness and speed, the defense to get inside, the punch variety (for throwing combinations in particular), or the necessary footwork for positioning.

Last edited:
I agree especially with the last bit about Mike not teaching him the basics first. He should have Ngannou working on nothing else but the fundamentals for the foreseeable future if he wants him to learn to box. Another issue I have here is that Mike is teaching him the style of a swarmer/crowder which almost certainly isn't going to fully translate to Ngannou's body type and dimensions.

Rather than having Ngannou get in on opponents, and give up his natural reach advantage in the process, he should be teaching him primarily to utilize his physical advantages first and foremost. There have been plenty of exceptions to that conventional wisdom but I don't think Ngannou could ever be one of them. He doesn't have the necessary attributes to make that style/approach very effective. He obviously doesn't have the stamina required, the punch output, the mental sharpness and speed, the defense to get inside, the punch variety (for throwing combinations in particular), or the necessary footwork for positioning.
my thoughts, too.

Lennox Lewis could better help Ngannou

Not misses but he can’t really communicate it besides showing it without explaining and then I doubt he has a solid plan on how to develop that ability.

His punches look good with this finish, nice text book hooks and upper cuts and a straight right. The idea he just wind mills is from uneducated people.

Yeah Tyson teaching Ngannou how to swarm isn't going to do much for him. As you say it's the wrong style for his physical dimensions and attributes.

Not misses but he can’t really communicate it besides showing it without explaining and then I doubt he has a solid plan on how to develop that ability.
Yeah it must be hard for someone like Tyson who learned the basics such a long time ago to be able to teach that to someone who doesn't have those skills. And I'd agree it's quite unlikely that Tyson has a plan to fix that.

Yeah it must be hard for someone like Tyson who learned the basics such a long time ago to be able to teach that to someone who doesn't have those skills. And I'd agree it's quite unlikely that Tyson has a plan to fix that.
It’s a addition to the old quote
Those can’t do, coach those who can’t teach, can’t coach.”
There is a science to teaching it’s why so many top fighters don’t become great coaches they are doers but they aren’t teachers.

It’s a addition to the old quote
Those can’t do, coach those who can’t teach, can’t coach.”
There is a science to teaching it’s why so many top fighters don’t become great coaches they are doers but they aren’t teachers.
Yeah there are many examples of this and also the other way around where great coaches have no fight experience themselves.

It’s feels unnatural for orthodox fighters to move to the right of you’re a novice. He’s been fighting long enough to not struggle with this anymore! As per the other thread, wilder would knock him out within a round if they fought

Back