Tyson Fury vs OTTO WALLIN

Outside of Furys fights against Wlad and Wilder, this is business as usual, im surprised people are surprised that nobody gives a fuck about him

Yet he still has a better resume than probably ever other current HW than Joshua. It’s a fckin sad state of affairs that proves that most of these HWs are happy to avoid a challenge
Based on that he gets far more shit than he deserves tbh

Aj/Ruiz winner is a real opponent. Wallin is not.

Fury doesn’t hold a belt so shouldn’t be held to the same standard as the 2 champions imo. This fight is a joke though, but no different to what most of the other challengers are doing

Fury doesn’t hold a belt so shouldn’t be held to the same standard as the 2 champions imo. This fight is a joke though, but no different to what most of the other challengers are doing
A lot of people think of him as the lineal champ.

Waalin is ranked like 5th in WBO i believe it is....

His amateur background is also very much above average

He is trained by Joey Gamache

It's not like he's just a guy off the street....i think the sanctioning bodies need to step their shit up on rankings and we wouldn't have as many Tom Swarze types who couldn't put up a .500 record against amateur golden gloves tournament participants

He shouldn't be calling himself the champion then. If he's calling himself the champion then when he fights subpar opponents people are gonna call him out on it.

He shouldn't be calling himself the champion then. If he's calling himself the champion then when he fights subpar opponents people are gonna call him out on it.
Semantics incoming

Title holders aren't champions

Champions aren't necessarily title holders

A belt can be stripped. It's essentially fake....there's 6 per weight class if you count IBO and The Ring(personally in my opinion The Ring is THE title)

Lineal champ is a title that cannot be stripped. It's tradition.

Jim Jeffries was a potato farmer for like 12 years as lineal champion before he got his racist ass destroyed by Johnson....lineal is lineal

Semantics incoming

Title holders aren't champions

Champions aren't necessarily title holders

A belt can be stripped. It's essentially fake....there's 6 per weight class if you count IBO and The Ring(personally in my opinion The Ring is THE title)

Lineal champ is a title that cannot be stripped. It's tradition.

Jim Jeffries was a potato farmer for like 12 years as lineal champion before he got his racist ass destroyed by Johnson....lineal is lineal
The lineal can be vacated through retirement though (which Fury did). See Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali as examples.

The lineal can be vacated through retirement though (which Fury did). See Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali as examples.
Louis lost to Marciano

Ali last fight was Berbick he lost before a cpuple times in a row

Marciano retired lineal champ

Louis lost to Marciano

Ali last fight was Berbick

Marciano retired lineal champ
Louis wasn't even lineal when he fought Marciano though. Marciano won it off Walcott. Louis retired in '49, then had to fight for the vacant lineal against Charles, which he lost.

Ali had to fight to get the lineal 4 times. 2 of those times were due to him being retired and vacating it.

Louis wasn't even lineal when he fought Marciano though. Marciano won it off Walcott. Louis retired in '49, then had to fight for the vacant lineal against Charles, which he lost.

Ali had to fight to get the lineal 4 times. 2 of those times were due to him being retired and vacating it.
I like Ezzard Charles. Underrated.

Joe Louis might have said he retired but he fought within like 60 days of the Charles loss....he actually was very active through 1951 as well and i don't see much of a an extended break anywhere.

Walcott retired multiple times...once before he even turned 21.....those guys kinda disappeared randomly

And Louis vs Marciano...I'm not seeing a title in the air for that fight? Rocky wasn't heavyweight champion by that point apparently?

I got my history all fucked up

I guess what's messing me up is not realizing how late Rocky won his title....

I am a big fan of Walcott and Charles especially so i was aware of this "Fatal 4 Way" of sorts between those two and Louis/Marciano....but i guess i had the timeline a bit messed up

Anyway....cheers. I like learning about this era

I guess what's messing me up is not realizing how late Rocky won his title....

I am a big fan of Walcott and Charles especially so i was aware of this "Fatal 4 Way" of sorts between those two and Louis/Marciano....but i guess i had the timeline a bit messed up

Anyway....cheers. I like learning about this era
That's cool. I'm not an expert by any means lol I like learning about this stuff as I go as well.

That's cool. I'm not an expert by any means lol I like learning about this stuff as I go as well.
Rocky had to fight 4 more times to get a title shot

So basically Rocky vs Louis wasn't even a title eliminator...it was just to see who the baddest mother fucker around was

And here is where we can tie this into Fury vs Waalin......we need more fights to see who the baddest dude on the block is, not these artificially ranked swedes

Rocky had to fight 4 more times to get a title shot

So basically Rocky vs Louis wasn't even a title eliminator...it was just to see who the baddest mother fucker around was

And here is where we can tie this into Fury vs Waalin......we need more fights to see who the baddest dude on the block is, not these artificially ranked swedes
Yeah, you're probably right. Officially it wasn't for the lineal though. I think retirement is an important thing to take note of, as otherwise Lennox Lewis could come out of retirement tomorrow and claim lineal.

I think WBSS is a good way for that to happen, but there will never be one with all the top guys at heavyweight in it. Too much politics and money involved in heavyweight boxing. It worked well for the cruiserweight division with Usyk though.

Fury is always entertaining to watch, who he is fighting isn’t that much of a big deal until he has the rematch with Wilder or until Ruiz/Joshua is dealt with.

Imagine a non title fight between two monsters like that nowadays....regardless of weight, let alone heavyweight....

What's the biggest non title fight possible? Usyk vs Kownacki? Lol....maybe im a prisoner of the moment but that doesn't sound historically memorable....

Imagine a non title fight between two monsters like that nowadays....regardless of weight, let alone heavyweight....

What's the biggest non title fight possible? Usyk vs Kownacki? Lol....maybe im a prisoner of the moment but that doesn't sound historically memorable....
Usyk v Whyte would probably be closest to it.

Yeah, you're probably right. Officially it wasn't for the lineal though. I think retirement is an important thing to take note of, as otherwise Lennox Lewis could come out of retirement tomorrow and claim lineal.

I think WBSS is a good way for that to happen, but there will never be one with all the top guys at heavyweight in it. Too much politics and money involved in heavyweight boxing. It worked well for the cruiserweight division with Usyk though.
Even this year's cruiserweight tournament is awesome...been some big ko's and really good fighters showcased. Cruiserweight is actually pretty good, Usyk just made it look relatively average compared to him. That Dorticos ko was fucking wild...and imo if Gassiev rematched for Yunier's belts, assuming he runs the table and beats Breidis, it'd make a lot of sense and be a huge fight.

If cruiserweight can look this fun....imagine heavyweight. 8 of the best heavyweights....holy shitballs

Back