Tyson Fury on his issue with mma

I'd love to see Fury vs Ngannou in a striking match with 4oz gloves

Ngannou is a shit boxer but has nice kicks, would be interesting

So you want a guy that has never kick boxed, never trained to check kicks to go into a kick boxing match?

Makes total sense.

How about Ngannou put any size of gloves on he wants and boxes Fury? Fury with 4 ounce gloves would put Ngannou in the hospital.

I don't really have a problem with what he's saying here. He admits that his lack of interest in grappling is rooted in his lack of understanding the art and its nuance. He goes on to admit that he is purely a standup fighter and that it would take too long to learn how go grapple sufficiently to be a threat in the Octagon.

That said, Fury with even novice-level wrestling and some solid BJJ would be terrifying to most current UFC Heavyweights lmao. Can you imagine those long-ass giraffe legs throwing up a triangle or something?

At least tyson is man enough to admit the grappling is too technical for him to understand.
Cool guy, great boxer

Say what you want but you can't deny Furys gas tank. Fury with grappling/TD defense would be top 3 HW/if not champ, imo...

Fury would beat most of UFCs hw's with 1 year training takedown/kick defense. DC, Stipe and Blaydes could probably wrestle him out of there but id favor Fury over the rest of the division without ever seeing him in the cage.
No

I wonder if there is a sport for Fury. Just the standup part of MMA. Boxing with kicks.

That was a fair take. He loves to watch what he knows, doesn't enjoy the ground game since he doesn't understand it. Didn't shit on it at all. Said likely that's why lots of fans have a hard time relating to grappling.

I'm inclined to agree. Grappling for those who know nothing about it, it's hard to enjoy. Good grappling often lacks excitement (kind of like good defensive boxing in some situations). Yet it's critical to fighting since being able to control a fight in close and on the ground is essential in any fighting situation, sport or real.

Just one of those things.

I'd love to see Fury vs Ngannou in a striking match with 4oz gloves

Ngannou is a shit boxer but has nice kicks, would be interesting

Back in the days i would have loved to see Prime JDS fight a decent boxer under standup rules...

I know peeps tend to forget, but prime JDS had good standup and movement. I know Ngannoe has destructive powers, but IMO shane Carwin had that too.

I think prime JDS would put up a better fight vs a world level boxer than ngannoe. under alternative standup rules.

That was a fair take. He loves to watch what he knows, doesn't enjoy the ground game since he doesn't understand it. Didn't shit on it at all. Said likely that's why lots of fans have a hard time relating to grappling.

I'm inclined to agree. Grappling for those who know nothing about it, it's hard to enjoy. Good grappling often lacks excitement (kind of like good defensive boxing in some situations). Yet it's critical to fighting since being able to control a fight in close and on the ground is essential in any fighting situation, sport or real.

Just one of those things.
I agree

I’ve wondered at times how successful a striking sport would be that had all of MMA’s rules for striking, but no grappling. Allow clinch, but break it up if it’s stalling. I could see it being very successful.

Kard Chuek is essentially that, kicks, knees, elbows, punches along with allowed clinches and only hand wraps/ropes. A lot of Muay Thai fighters and other peoples of South East Asia fight under the rule set.

Enjoy

(Basically says he likes the stand up but doesn't understand grappling at all)

Sadly a lot of MMA fans think this way. I find takedowns and grappling on the feet just as entertaining as standup but admit the ground game is less aesthetically pleasing. That being said this is a sport and it's sad how many great fighters have been discriminated against due to this mindset. Too many decisions have been made over the years to appeal to people like Fury who want to see boxing plus not MMA.

He likes MMA but without grappling. In other words, he doesn't like MMA, but he does like kickboxing.

Back