Tyson Fury on his issue with mma

Smart gypsy. Agree with the giant

He said people love to see punching, kicking , and elbowing.

So...Muay Thai but with 4oz gloves?

Pretty much. Except that Muay Thai being a TMA, generally the participants are fighting in the Muay Thai style. MMA sees much more diversity in striking. Although Muay Thai would definitely benefit from the lack of a TD threat.

I’ve wondered at times how successful a striking sport would be that had all of MMA’s rules for striking, but no grappling would be. Allow clinch, but break it up if it’s stalling. I could see it being very successful.

isn't that pretty much K1 or Glory?

Fury doesnt seem to like leg humpers and cage exploiters nor should he. Striking is far more entertaining and actually works in real fights too.

Make no mistake, Fury is a big man with natural ability to hit hard when he wants to set down on his shots. But most of his fights are anything but "exciting striking" unless you're a hardcore fan of akward technicians. There are recent exceptions to this, of course. But overall he's not exactly been kid dynamite in there.

MMA according to Tyson Fury:
Stand-up Fighting = Real Fighting
Ground Fighting = Rolling Around on the Floor

Pretty much. Except that Muay Thai being a TMA, generally the participants are fighting in the Muay Thai style. MMA sees much more diversity in striking. Although Muay Thai would definitely benefit from the lack of a TD threat.
See here is the thing, if you like Muay Thai then watch Muay Thai. MMA stand for MIXED martial arts. That means it includes wrestling and other types of grappling.
Turning MMA into Muay Thai with modified rules pretty much defeats the purpose of MMA existing in the first place.

I think he's pretty fair about why he isn't into watching matches that go to the ground; he isn't dismissive of the talent and technical nature of it at all and just admits he can't follow it. Honestly though, I'm not sure how many fans really can. I've never done a moment of BJJ, and I'm not really interested. That doesn't mean there wasn't anything for me to appreciate when I was watching Maia though. And one picks up some stuff just by listening to the commentary. But maybe since he's so knowledgeable when it comes to stand up and expects to know what's going on in a fight, he has a hard time just watching grappling at a casual level like I do.

A little weird, he does wrestle now and then. Wondering if he's just setting up for when he goes to MMA to make people think he's just another James Toney.

"I like MMA when they stand up, but not when they grapple"

Okay, so then you don't like MMA. You like Muay Thai/Kickboxing. Lol.

Tyson's issue is he'd get taken down and submitted or gnp'ed in a minute

He already makes more than this in boxing. Ring magazine HW champ does his own thing

Joshua gets paid more and is a bigger draw despite not being lineal champ.

Also, he literally can't do what he wants because his contractual obligation to fight Wilder again and Whyte's position as WBC mandatory are threatening to push a unification fight against Joshua back up to 18 months.

See here is the thing, if you like Muay Thai then watch Muay Thai. MMA stand for MIXED martial arts. That means it includes wrestling and other types of grappling.
Turning MMA into Muay Thai with modified rules pretty much defeats the purpose of MMA existing in the first place.

You're extrapolating poorly here. I love MMA. My post said "I've wondered..." I think MMA has the most exciting striking in combat sports, and it would be interesting to see fighters compete in striking contests under MMA rules (minus grappling). I'm not saying it should exist, or that it would be better or replace MMA. Just saying that it would be interesting.

Back