Tyson Fury is motivating himself for the Wilder rematch

What is all this talk about Fury being knocked out?

In a boxing context he absolutely was not knocked out.

You will see some referees waive off a fight when a fighter goes down, usually if they’ve taken a sustained beating in the fight thus far (and likely been down already), or if they’ve gone down in a manner that suggest they’re not going to get back up. The referee could’ve been forgiven for taking the latter approach when Fury went down. He didn’t though, and that was brilliant refereeing in itself - Fury got up and not only survived, but controlled the rest of the round.

It would’ve been a travesty for the referee to waive of the fight immediately only for Fury to be back on his feet ready to go seconds later.

"ipping his hands in Petrol" i heard that some bare knuckle fighters in Germany did the same thing

What is all this talk about Fury being knocked out?

In a boxing context he absolutely was not knocked out.

You will see some referees waive off a fight when a fighter goes down, usually if they’ve taken a sustained beating in the fight thus far (and likely been down already), or if they’ve gone down in a manner that suggest they’re not going to get back up. The referee could’ve been forgiven for taking the latter approach when Fury went down. He didn’t though, and that was brilliant refereeing in itself - Fury got up and not only survived, but controlled the rest of the round.

It would’ve been a travesty for the referee to waive of the fight immediately only for Fury to be back on his feet ready to go seconds later.
eh, he was out, even Fury himself has said so. But he did beat the count and followed the refs instructions so I have no problem with the fight continuing.

He did take a lot of punishment because he was knocked out cold. Maybe he didn't up until that point, but at that point he had, because he was knocked out.

I don't know, I just don't understand the points you guys are making, they don't make any sense to me.

Theres a reason why in mma they stop the fight as soon as a fighter is out, because they understand the risks involved.

Agree to disagree at this point

I agree it’s not safe. But then again none of it safe. No combat sport is a game, you don’t play them. Your life is in the line every time you climb through the ropes. These guys know what can happen and thinking fans know the truth. But at the end of the day each man should be able to make that decision for himself. They know the rules and Fury could have stayed down but he chose not to.

I don’t know how read your are but there is a reason boxing has drawn the attention of so many poets and quality writers over the years. There are a multitude of parallels to the struggles of life. Down but not out, beaten but finished etc. A man can look to world as though he has no hope, down never to rise again, but some how hope springs eternal in the ring and in life. No man is without hope. Fury showed the world the beauty of the sport when last they met.

Changing the rules changes the sport. Referees and ringside doctors are there to protect the fighters within the context of the rules. As a whole the do a pretty good job. There is no way to remove all the risk without changing the nature of the sport.

intriguing fight.

I will have to go with Tyson. Simply to slick imo.

but its like....51/49 at this point. Who knows

The point is, when youre knocked out, the fight should be stopped because you don't know the extent of the damage done. It may be mild, it may be severe, either way, the fight needs to be stopped.

Dying isn't the only concern here. Doing stuff like this will turn you into a vegetable as well, or cause any number of complications down the road from trauma.

If you get knocked out you should not be allowed to continue fighting under any circumstance. This is basic health 101, and I just don't understand how boxing can allow it.
i lean more towards Seano's thinking

most of the tragedy that has happened in the sport occurs during sustained beatings.

in fact. i would rather have a clean KO rather than a sustained beating by a guy who doesn't have the power to stop someone, but has the power to hurt them

Wilder lands another bomb, no more 1UPs left to save Fury's ass.

I really wonder about this. That was some crazy shit. I'm really intrigued if he gets flattened again if he would be able to crawl back up this time.

I really wonder about this. That was some crazy shit. I'm really intrigued if he gets flattened again if he would be able to crawl back up this time.
Exactly, people just assume he'll be able to get up again. How can you truly be sure especially from the hardest hitter in boxing?

Exactly, people just assume he'll be able to get up again. How can you truly be sure especially from the hardest hitter in boxing?
Absolute certainty doesn't exist in the fight game and especially not in Heavyweight boxing. Why do some people think he can get back up again? The answer is in that sentence with the 'again' part. We've already seen him do it twice in the first fight even though that second knockdown was devastating and he barely made the count. Wilder has the highest KO percentage in the history of the Heavyweight division, quality of opposition aside, and Fury is the least hit currently active fighter in the division. And when Fury has been hit and gone down he's always been back up, he's never been stopped (not even as an amateur). His recovery is excellent.

Wilder could very well put him away or Fury could survive and that's why this rematch is so intriguing. Realistically, even if Fury can make it back to his feet, it'll be up to the ref if he isn't out cold. Last time Jack Reiss gave him the kind of opportunity that Kenny Bayless may not feel comfortable with in a similar situation.

Absolute certainty doesn't exist in the fight game and especially not in Heavyweight boxing. Why do some people think he can get back up again? The answer is in that sentence with the 'again' part. We've already seen him do it twice in the first fight even though that second knockdown was devastating and he barely made the count. Wilder has the highest KO percentage in the history of the Heavyweight division, quality of opposition aside, and Fury is the least hit currently active fighter in the division. And when Fury has been hit and gone down he's always been back up, he's never been stopped (not even as an amateur). His recovery is excellent.

Wilder could very well put him away or Fury could survive and that's why this rematch is so intriguing. Realistically, even if Fury can make it back to his feet, it'll be up to the ref if he isn't out cold. Last time Jack Reiss gave him the kind of opportunity that Kenny Bayless may not feel comfortable with in a similar situation.
Yeah, maybe he does get up like a zombie. But the fact that so many people are confident that he'll just tank another Bronze Bomb to the face is just baffling. Chins don't get stronger with impact, they degrade and for all we know if Wilder lands another big shot it could be the one that finally seals the deal. I also think the last referee was generous in letting Fury "walk that way, walk back to me" which effectively killed another 6 seconds.

Yeah, maybe he does get up like a zombie. But the fact that so many people are confident that he'll just tank another Bronze Bomb to the face is just baffling. Chins don't get stronger with impact, they degrade and for all we know if Wilder lands another big shot it could be the one that finally seals the deal. I also think the last referee was generous in letting Fury "walk that way, walk back to me" which effectively killed another 6 seconds.
I'm not that confident in predicting this fight one way or the other. If others seem to be then maybe it's just wishful thinking (or bias) on their part. Reiss wanted him to walk in multiple directions to prove that he still had his legs under him, his equilibrium. He was in an interview explaining that even a drunk person can walk a straight line, and he's right, many have passed that field sobriety test. By forcing a fighter to change direction they're more likely to show signs of impairment. He tested Fury a bit more thoroughly than most refs probably would have but it also inherently meant that he did get more precious time to recover than would usually be the case. I don't think it would've mattered though as his equilibrium was fine as evidenced by his ability to practically jog in the opposite direction.

He could get 2 and 2/3rds hookers for the ppv price

<BC1>

Thats not the point. Fighters who get knocked out can sometimes continue fighting, yes, but that doesn't change the fact that they shouldn't, because of the increased risks of receiving life altering trauma from continuing to fight with an already damaged brain.

Im surprised you guys don't understand this concept.

It's your concept and it's fine and I get what you're saying, but it has nothing to do with the sport of boxing. As you mention, you don't know the rules and as explained, you get a 10-count (at ref's discretion) when you're knocked down. It's not difficult. If you make the 10-count, the fight continues. Also, as Seano mentioned, that fight could have been waved off right away, or even at the count of 3. Ref chose to give him the count in a big fight between two undefeated boxers and he stood up and finished that round. Finished it strong, actually. It was very unusual all the way around, to be fair. But it was legit.
The ref is the final arbiter as regards letting the fight continue. And that was a fine decision to continue the count, there. To be honest, neither man took a great deal of damage in that bout. That KD was the hardest punch landed. By a long shot. That may have played into the ref's thinking as well.

At $30 a pop? So much cheaper than I thought they'd be.

In Vegas. A $30 hooker in Vegas is....

33383c6c458b9727.jpg

I agree it’s not safe. But then again none of it safe. No combat sport is a game, you don’t play them. Your life is in the line every time you climb through the ropes. These guys know what can happen and thinking fans know the truth. But at the end of the day each man should be able to make that decision for himself. They know the rules and Fury could have stayed down but he chose not to.

I don’t know how read your are but there is a reason boxing has drawn the attention of so many poets and quality writers over the years. There are a multitude of parallels to the struggles of life. Down but not out, beaten but finished etc. A man can look to world as though he has no hope, down never to rise again, but some how hope springs eternal in the ring and in life. No man is without hope. Fury showed the world the beauty of the sport when last they met.

Changing the rules changes the sport. Referees and ringside doctors are there to protect the fighters within the context of the rules. As a whole the do a pretty good job. There is no way to remove all the risk without changing the nature of the sport.
on the ropes, cornered, just last night i watched the ray mancini docu again, i cried at the end, but it is life. The sport is tragic but life is too, a man can die in a lot of jobs or in a war, or..., anything. One interesting fact that I learned but was not surprised by from the docu "after the last round" was that most boxers who die, die from getting shot, second leading cause is getting stabbed and dying in the ring is a distant third. one thing for sure, the quality of life for the majority who live ought to actually be an even higher concern. that's a tricky question too, if we have free will, why should we stop anyone from fighting, because there is the other side of that coin too. Guys who may want to control others can try to stop guys from fighting just because they like crushing people's desires, not because they give a damn about their health. Randy Gordon was a guy who was in charge of blocking a lot of guys from fighting, i was not surprised to learn that he himself was blocked when he was young, he snuck into a fight one time and got coldcocked, the world is full of those kinds, people who've had every hope dashed and want to find others to do it to, do you trust them? I don't, I've known too many of them. On the other hand, I coulda done without seeing some of my heroes just make themselves look bad. tough question.

Last edited:
Back