Tyson’s biography “Undisputed truth”

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by piropiro, Aug 11, 2019 at 1:47 AM.

1. piropiro

piropiro Blue Belt

Just read it ... poorly written and very messy but one thing is astounding ... Tyson basically stopped having any kind of athletic lifestyle when Cus died, thus even before becoming champion.

The fact that he did become the youngest champion and then went on to defend many times easily, to me makes him - talent wise - by far and away the greatest HW that ever lived.

The guy was basically doing non stop alcohol + coke in ridiculous quantities + constant weed + antidepressants, whilst going for days without sleep, having sex multiple times daily with thousands of mostly paid women, being dragged in and out of court for literally hundreds of lawsuits (which eventually, together with the stupid lifestyle, costed him all his earnings which amounted to well over half a billion).

It’s amazing he even survived, he must have the strongest heart ever because that lifestyle would be a sure cardiac arrest for anyone, let alone someone who would suddenly add to that “regime” a few weeks of hard training (whilst still doing drugs snd booze) and then a professional high level fight!

If he kept himself clean and focused I now have no doubt he would have been the youngest HW champion ... the oldest HW champion ... and undefeated for decades between the two.

Really, how someone in that condition/lifestyle achieved any athletic results is just mind blowing! It’s difficult to explain how bad it was ... just decades of non stop alcohol, drugs, eating garbage, no sleep, sex, antidepressants ... o_O

Absolute physical freak with once in a ??? (century?) gifts, perfectly honed technically by Cus.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019 at 2:03 AM
  2. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

I'm a big Tyson fan and have always felt that people overlook his early accomplishments and even some decent wins he had well past his prime but there's no way he's the greatest HW ever.

Mr.Maelstrom and Jhonni5 like this.
  3. City_Lights

City_Lights Brown Belt

I know this is different than his heart but when I saw him live he said that the surgeon who did his back surgery told him he has the hardest bones he's ever saw. Maybe his body is built tougher than most people's.

Mr.Maelstrom and Kentaro like this.
  4. PHATV

PHATV FREE @RR!!! Platinum Member

Mr.Maelstrom likes this.
  5. piropiro

piropiro Blue Belt

I mean greatest talent / potential ever.

6. RabbitPunch36

RabbitPunch36 Orange Belt

Mind boggingly if true I just can't fathom him not training at all he had to have at least been sparring semi consistently.

7. treelo

treelo //Do something here

Its pretty impossible to verify what is being said here, there is no way on gods earth Tyson was in the shape he was in for some of those fights while being a chronic alcoholic/drug abuser, people just like to tell a story and embelish things

Noveltymortar and RabbitPunch36 like this.
  8. piropiro

piropiro Blue Belt

Actually they painted a pretty horrible picture of a lifetime of self abuse and extreme destructive behavior (binging on several substances to the point where most humans would die of heart failure, having unprotected sex with HIV positive prostitutes, etc).

Apparently he trained maniacally hard only in his late teens with Cus and then for a period in jail, other than that it was brief very intense camps (mostly whilst still doing some drugs) and the rest spent in strip clubs with buckets of fried chicken and bricks of cocaine.

He was a unique genetic freak, there are several accounts that at 13, when he started training seriously with Cus, he could bench 200 and squat 300 ... being a kid, who never trained before and who grew up on the streets eating whatever scraps and doing drugs since 8-9.

Here is a picture at 13 ... o_O

https://pasteboard.co/IskElm6.jpg

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019 at 2:56 AM
    Gambit MMA likes this.
  9. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

Maybe, but a guy who's style was so dependent on his physical gifts isn't going to have a long career at the top. Tyson was still highly ranked at the end but only because of favorable matchups.

Mr.Maelstrom likes this.
  10. djacobox372

djacobox372 Gold Belt

So TS admires him for being an irresponsible a-hole?

11. djacobox372

djacobox372 Gold Belt

Favorable matchups? Please. What style/matchup did he not fight and beat in his first title run:

Berbick = Well rounded vet of the sport
    Smith = Large, durable power puncher
    Thomas = Crafty vet
    Tucker = Technically adept high-output boxer, undefeated
    Biggs = Young gold medalist, undefeated
    Holmes = All time great at the style which was supposed to be Tyson's kryptonite
    Tubbs = fat guy
    Spinks = All time great, undefeated
    Bruno = Power puncher
    Williams = Rangy boxer with a great jab (supposedly Tyson's weakness).

What style was he being protected from during this run?

Supposedly his weakness was tall, rangy fighters with a good jab and good defense: HALF of the fighters on this list match that description.

The only guy that I remember being talked about back then as having a chance was witherspoon, but he got KTFO by Smith so Tyson fought him instead.

12. piropiro

piropiro Blue Belt

No, you didn’t understand what I wrote, I actually don’t admire him at all as a person, I am however in awe at the incredible genetic potential / natural talent he must have had to be as good as he was despite the most non-athletic and self-destructive lifestyle possible.

With a clean focused life he would most likely have been the absolute GOAT of HW boxing.

13. Cole train

Cole train Brown Belt

Yeah dude was high as shit most of the time if judging by book

14. treelo

treelo //Do something here

WOW, you pretty much nailed every fighters style in your almost parental defense of Tyson......

15. benebox

benebox Brown Belt

Yeah didn't he carry around a fake dick with clean piss in it or something?

16. Mr.Maelstrom

Mr.Maelstrom Ligaments and skulls belt

Someone (I can't place who) said "He had to perform near perfectly to be effective as a HW. I always agreed, as a fan - iron Mike is a special fighter, but couldn't keep it together in the end.

Seano likes this.