Tyron Woodley vs Conor McGregor?

rustledjimjams

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Please enlighten me? I'm not a super hardcore fan but why is this match up not even considered?
If the Irishman and the media are so quick to say he could fight Usman or masvidal for the welterweight title. Wouldn't this fight make sense?

He’d be a huge underdog- why would conor take that match up?

Because along with Usman, Woodley is clearly the single worst stilistic matchup for McGregor in all of FW, LW and WW.
A smart fighter with great wrestling, an explosive double leg, educated defense and insane KO power.

The only way to defeat Woodley is to spam him with offense and out-cardio'ing him while 1.) having great enough TDD, to not get double leged and 2.) having on-point defense to avoid his offensive bursts.

Woodley isn't really making any noise right now so idk. He's got a fight with Edwards coming up so we'll see how that goes, I don't think he's really om the radar. If he starches Edwards in 1rd that fight would be right up there in interest with Masvidal imo. They have a little bit of history so it could make for a good one. It wouldn't be too hard to sell.

Woodley is busy making terrible music. And this fight makes absolutely zero sense in any universe.

The UFC won’t risk putting Conor in anything like a real top contender matchup because they don’t think that he’d win.

Because along with Usman, Woodley is clearly the single worst stilistic matchup for McGregor in all of FW, LW and WW.
A smart fighter with great wrestling, an explosive double leg, educated defense and insane KO power.

The only way to defeat Woodley is to spam him with offense and out-cardio'ing him while 1.) having great enough TDD, to not get double leged and 2.) having on-point defense to avoid his offensive bursts.
Woodley's always backed up against the fence. I think Conor does well with his opponents backed up against the fence. I favor Tyron to get a takedown anyway, but Conor has a route to victory if he can trap Woodley there and not allow him to shoot. This comparison isn't exact, but Woodley's a bit like a bigger Chad Mendes. And though Conor fought injured and has improved since, that was undoubtedly a tough fight for him.

I'd agree that Woodley's one of the toughedt matchups. But I think you can add Colby to the list of matchups tougher than Woodley

Con arguments:
1. Woodley doesn't sell, doesn't have many fans, he is a drama queen
2. Since he doesn't have the belt, Woodley is irrelevant

Pro arguments:
1. Interracial rape might sell, though

Conor destroying a jacked bodybuilder action actor on the fence would be too much for some in the mma universe to handle.

Worst style match up for Conor

Big strong excellent wrestling and Ko power

Too risky for Conor

Similar to Usman situation top level wrestler cardio for days would be awful for Conor

Watching Woody against Wonderboy, Till and Usman, new marauding Conor would KO him.

Woody accepts being pressured far too easily and doesn't know what to do with an in and out pressuring striker and counter puncher. Not to mention that his formidable wrestling prowess hasn't existed for years in any meaningful way

Either way, Woody is just about to get elbowed and ground out to a decision victory by Leon Edwards

Tyron is a manlet with a short gas tank.
Connie 2.0 on steak by anything he wants.
He will be the first LW to be a WW champion.
Mark my words.

Conor needs a fight he can actually win. Woodley would destroy him easily.

Watching Woody against Wonderboy, Till and Usman, new marauding Conor would KO him.

Woody accepts being pressured far too easily and doesn't know what to do with an in and out pressuring striker and counter puncher. Not to mention that his formidable wrestling prowess hasn't existed for years in any meaningful way

Either way, Woody is just about to get elbowed and ground out to a decision victory by Leon Edwards
So watching him against a far more technical striker who he dropped multiple times and beat, a far bigger more powerful striker he dropped and finished and a pressure wrestler who destroyed him but couldn't finish, all of which have proven their power finishing actual ranked WWs makes you think Conor does something they couldn't and KOs him based on a win over a Cowboy who had taken 2 savage beatings in the 6 months prior to that fight?.....

Lol, can you please elaborate on this opinion and maybe provide some sort of actual breakdown supporting it? I'm genuinely curious.

Tyron is a manlet with a short gas tank.
Connie 2.0 on steak by anything he wants.
He will be the first LW to be a WW champion.
Mark my words.
Have you ever heard of BJ Penn or Matt Serra?

Oddly enough though that oversight is probably the least absurd part of your post, lol.

I think Tyron would defeat Conor if the fight goes to the ground, but Conor has (at least I think) better stand-up skills. If the bout takes place at 155, Conor would win, otherwise at 170 Tyron. My thoughts...

So watching him against a far more technical striker who he dropped multiple times and beat, a far bigger more powerful striker he dropped and finished and a pressure wrestler who destroyed him but couldn't finish, all of which have proven their power finishing actual ranked WWs makes you think Conor does something they couldn't and KOs him based on a win over a Cowboy who had taken 2 savage beatings in the 6 months prior to that fight?.....

Lol, can you please elaborate on this opinion and maybe provide some sort of actual breakdown supporting it? I'm genuinely curious.
The performances speak for themselves

Back