Tyron Woodley Told He Gets No Titleshot Guarantee with Win Over Edwards

Should Tyron get a titleshot if he beats Leon?

• Total voters
After how he was acting while champ he knew that. Didn't his coach or something say the same thing?

How he wins (if he wins obviously) plays into it I think

Assuming Jorge fights for the title next the winner of this fight makes the most sense as the next challenger. Leon has earned the shot on merit and if Woodley blasts him into unconsciousness with a right hand I think he has a valid case for a shot

Not a ton going on at 170 right now unless you're a believer in Chiesa as a valid contender (I'm not) or want to throw Wonderboy back into contention, so Woodley sneaking in with a win makes sense

Doesn't get along with his employer, won't agree to fights, not an exciting fighter, got dominated by Usman in a boring fight. He shouldn't be surprised. He really needs to go out and beat Leon in spectacular fashion to make a statement.

Kind of funny him talking so much about cards when he really likes to play a certain one...

I voted yes simply because there's no one else besides Masvidal, who doesn't want to fight Usman.

Lol he had zero power when he was champ, he did everything they told him even tho he bitched and moaned about it for months at a time
Every money fight he tried to get got denied on the spot, dude has less power now and is still as delusional

Of course Dana won't guarantee him a title shot. Dana was absolutely dying to get the belt off of him for the longest time. And it's not like a guarantee from Dana White is worth anything anyway.

He should beat Colby if he beats Edwards. Then I'd say a title shot is reasonable.

If it's an impressive win over a guy who is on an 8-fight win-streak then I think it would warrant the title shot.

woodley-hero.jpg

“If we look at other people’s hands, like in poker, different sets of hands, there would be no case where Joanna Jedrzejczyk didn’t get an instant rematch, [or] Ronda Rousey or Cody Garbrandt,” explained Woodley on Ariel Helwani’s MMA Show.

“Or you see Holly Holm fight her way back into a title fight so may times afterwards. We’ve seen this things happen like that (quickly).

I’m, not even guaranteed a title shot after beating Leon Edwards! So how does my deck of cards look different when I’m the one who actually defended four times and won four world title fights in a year?

To add some salt to Tyron’s wounds, Edwards recently revealed that he is guaranteed a championship fight with a win London. Then again, it will be his ninth straight win so one can understand the thought process there.

“You got to know your deck of cards. I can cry over spilled milk or I can say, ‘Hey, these are my deck of cards and I am going to play the sh*t out of this hand!”

The-hand-you-think-you-should-have-been-dealt.png

https://www.mmamania.com/2020/1/27/...ed-title-shot-win-leon-edwards-ufc-london-mma
He was a dominant champ for a while so yes he should get another shot. I can’t see him beating Usman however. I am in the minority but I actually respect the guy and his fighting abilities.

All these babies want guaranteed title shots for having 1-fight win streaks. Fucking lame.

Doesn't get along with his employer, won't agree to fights, not an exciting fighter, got dominated by Usman in a boring fight. He shouldn't be surprised. He really needs to go out and beat Leon in spectacular fashion to make a statement.

Woodley wins a lackluster decision, predictable outcome

I get what he achieved as champ, but the Usman loss wasn't just him getting caught early it was Woodley getting thoroughly dominated. After a loss like that you need to reestablish yourself before getting a rematch especially as the WW landscape has changed in the year since he lost.

However I've just checked the UFC rankings & right now Woodley is ranked number one despite almost a year since his last fight, which was a loss. WTF? Going by the company's own rankings I guess he should be next.

If Conor has no WW ambitions we can assume Usman/Mas gets booked. So in saying that if T-Wood beats Leon he'll fight the winner of Mas/Usman more than likely.

Tyron with that paranoia again. You have to consider the individual circumstances for each title fight given. It largely depends on what other matches are available at the time. Holly Holm keeps getting title shots basically because there's been no one else. Also, fight style in the cage and attitude outside the cage both matter. And Tyron has both of those things going against him.

He has a point, while he was dominated, and hasn't fought in a year, a win is usually enough for a former champ to get another shot. The argument of not playing nice with management is horse crap, Stipe was openly belligerent with UFC, sat on the sidelines for a year refusing every fight offered to him until he got a rematch.

Can't even argue it's a business decision, Yoel Romero is getting another title shot coming off of two losses and his title fights with Whittaker did worse than Woodleys.

i dont want to see woodley fight for the belt with just a win over edwards after his last fight with usman. even if its a knock out win i wanna see him fight another top 3-5 fighter.

Back