Tyron Woodley says he was promised a title shot to fight Rory in Canada.

Interesting. Woodley said he was training with world champion boxers who are better than Rory and is extremely confident

A. You'd think these guys would work on getting these "promises" in the bout agreement.
B. He will get a title shot, he'll just have to wait about ten months to get it..

Wouldn't be the first time the UFC pulled the old bait and switch.

Woodley seems like a pretty good dude. HI think he'll beat Rory.

Its funny to me that ppl can't fathom two sets of fighters promised a title shot if they win their next fight. Lawler/brown can still fight hendrick vs woodley/macdonald....

My only question. Can hendricks fight at 177... he said he can return in september, but 177 is last day of august. Woodley wins it can be made at 177. Macdonald wins 178.

original.jpg

"You're my number one contender!" -Dana "Howard Campbell" White

Guess nobody told him Rory wasnt the champ...

Who the hell wants to watch Rory fight for a title shot?

I bet they really thought Canada would but it seems like the gravitation isn't there.

And I think it's entirely reasonable that if Woodley or Rory wins, they could just say "Woodley fights Johny in September, the winner of Brown/Lawler fights the winner of the WW title fight in March/April". Gives everybody the opportunity to get their affairs in order prior to 2015.

Dana promises everyone title shots.

This. Too be fair champions get injured left and right, like injury free Hendricks could have defended his belt this summer and then in november/december. Then Twood would have def. got the shot with a victory.

I bet they really thought Canada would but it seems like the gravitation isn't there.

And I think it's entirely reasonable that if Woodley or Rory wins, they could just say "Woodley fights Johny in September, the winner of Brown/Lawler fights the winner of the WW title fight in March/April". Gives everybody the opportunity to get their affairs in order prior to 2015.

I can't picture Rory as champion. He neither has the style nor personality. Well at least if he wins they can market him as the Jeffrey Dahlmer of the division :)

I can't take Woodley seriously after he bragged and talked himself up following the complete fluke blowout of Condit's knee. Woodley was more boring than Fitch in Strikeforce, so I don't understand where he gets his ego from. MacDonald is probably going to actually get a finish for once.

I imagine it being one of those deals where Dana promised him a title shot with his fingers crossed while thinking "sometime" in his head.

I'm sure they say a lot of things, and I'm sure it's all subject to change. The only thing you can rely on in the fight game is a UFC contract. If they promise it in writing then as far as I know they always deliver. Of course those contracts are also written to give the UFC plenty of wiggle room too. :icon_chee

But I wouldn't assume that a promise like a title shot if you face fighter x in city y is what you can depend on, not over the phone. I'll bet the promise was made before the Browne hype really caught fire and Lawler wrecked Ellenberger. Once that fight got made it all went out the window. Why? Because either of those guys fighting for the title would be a bigger and more profitable fight for the UFC.

I would prefer to see Lawler/Brown get it. WW is stacked right now so either way someone is getting passed over.

I'm a Condit fan and TWood was dominating that whole fight. He is deserving if it if he heats Rory. It would make sense for the Brown/Lawler winner to get the shot after that but that's a long layoff.

Back