Tyron Woodley: "Johny Hendricks' PR mistake led to UFC 192 matchup"

To me, T-Wood seems to be talking out of his ass acting like orchestrated this match-up due to some Hendricks flub. Take it easy, Tyron. You are no Tywin Lannister.

Once the UFC decided on Condit/Lawler (it's not rocket science to assume most fans don't want Hendricks/Lawler III), this match-up was a no brainer.

Dude. I'm right, trust me.

It IS a known thing in boxing. If you want stats here's some, though they are for wingspan and of very tall basketball players:

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=averages

All players I see there have wingspans greater than height. Now I'm not sure how wingspan compares to reach, but the wingspan/height difference is simply too much for reach to equal height.

But more relevant, I actually years back took Boxrec's top p4p list and calculated the average height to reach gap. I wanted to confirm or disprove the boxing adage. Reach was very close to 2" more than height, so the adage was confirmed.

I don't know why the hell someone would claim I made that up. To call someone incorrect is one thing, to say they made sonething up is just being an ass.

It's like saying the average basketball player is tall, so everyone is tall. The average DB has 4.5 speed so everyone has 4.5 speed. This is called sample error.
Here is a study that found "the proportion of Height to Wingspan to be 1.023". http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2006/bodyproportions.shtml

David Epstein, the author of the excellent book The Sports Gene, says that most people have an arm length-to-height ratio of 1.01-to-1.

UT supports your claim of 2 inches ( 5cm = 1.9 in) stating that "the arm span is approximately 5 cm greater than the height in adult males and 1.2 cm in adult females. Arm span that is significantly greater than the height should lead to further consideration."

Your claim has some basis is fact for North American males but it doesn't hold true for all people.

Woodley has an old grudge with Johny. Hope he comes to fight.

Don't care. I'm happy Woodley vs Hendricks was made. Great fight and perfect No 1 contender match....this is how it's supposed to be Dana. Why is the WW division so great right now? Thank you GSP for leaving.

It's like saying the average basketball player is tall, so everyone is tall. The average DB has 4.5 speed so everyone has 4.5 speed. This is called sample error.
Here is a study that found "the proportion of Height to Wingspan to be 1.023". http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2006/bodyproportions.shtml

David Epstein, the author of the excellent book The Sports Gene, says that most people have an arm length-to-height ratio of 1.01-to-1.

UT supports your claim of 2 inches ( 5cm = 1.9 in) stating that "the arm span is approximately 5 cm greater than the height in adult males and 1.2 cm in adult females. Arm span that is significantly greater than the height should lead to further consideration."

Your claim has some basis is fact for North American males but it doesn't hold true for all people.
First off, it's just common sense that reach would be greater than height. When you have heard of a fighter with reach *less* than height? It almost never happens, and when it does it is by almost nothing. Whereas there are plenty who have reach much longer than height.

It follows by obvious logic that reach must be average be greater than height.

Secondly while NBA players are much taller than average, claiming they have a different wingspan:height ratio than normal is silly. There is no bias in that measure. Comparing that to how fast NFL RBs is absurd - this would be more like comparing the average NFL RB torso:leg ratio to the average population.

Thirdly your own data supports what I have said. .023*70" (average height) is 1.6", about what I've said. So I don't know why you'd disagree with me, you should be voicing agreement.

Here is some data from Boxrec. I took the top 5 P4P boxers, than 5 other completely random boxers from the top 1000 in their rankings.
Code:
Name	Height (cm)	Reach (cm)
Floyd Mayweather Jr	173	183
Wladimir Klitschko	198	206
Gennady Golovkin	179	178
Saul Alvarez	175	179
Sergey Kovalev	183	184
Eleider Alvarez	183	192
Fernando David Saucedo	171	169
Louis Rose	180	191
Adrian Granados	175	188
Emmanuel Robles	171	178
The average height is 178.8cm. The median is 177cm. The average reach is 184.8cm. The median is 183.5cm.

The difference on average is 6cm (2.36"), the median difference is 6.5cm (2.56").

This small sample is likely overstating the extra reach, but not by again. I've done this before with a larger sample and the number was like 1.8" or something. The old adage of reach=height+2" holds.

Maybe I'll do this for MMA fighters too, but while it doesn't take long I don't want to bother now. I think this is an open and shut case anyway.

First off, it's just common sense that reach would be greater than height. When you have heard of a fighter with reach *less* than height? It almost never happens, and when it does it is by almost nothing. Whereas there are plenty who have reach much longer than height.

It follows by obvious logic that reach must be average be greater than height.

Secondly while NBA players are much taller than average, claiming they have a different wingspan:height ratio than normal is silly. There is no bias in that measure. Comparing that to how fast NFL RBs is absurd - this would be more like comparing the average NFL RB torso:leg ratio to the average population.

Thirdly your own data supports what I have said. .023*70" (average height) is 1.6", about what I've said. So I don't know why you'd disagree with me, you should be voicing agreement.

Here is some data from Boxrec. I took the top 5 P4P boxers, than 5 other completely random boxers from the top 1000 in their rankings.
Code:
Name	Height (cm)	Reach (cm)
Floyd Mayweather Jr	173	183
Wladimir Klitschko	198	206
Gennady Golovkin	179	178
Saul Alvarez	175	179
Sergey Kovalev	183	184
Eleider Alvarez	183	192
Fernando David Saucedo	171	169
Louis Rose	180	191
Adrian Granados	175	188
Emmanuel Robles	171	178
The average height is 178.8cm. The median is 177cm. The average reach is 184.8cm. The median is 183.5cm.

The difference on average is 6cm (2.36"), the median difference is 6.5cm (2.56").

This small sample is likely overstating the extra reach, but not by again. I've done this before with a larger sample and the number was like 1.8" or something. The old adage of reach=height+2" holds.

Maybe I'll do this for MMA fighters too, but while it doesn't take long I don't want to bother now. I think this is an open and shut case anyway.

Since reach is useful in combat sports, the average may be a bit higher than the general population, but it looks like you are right.

You have to be kidding. Of course pro basketball players have big wingspans it's one the things that makes them successful bballers. You are basically saying usain bolts runs fast.

You have to be kidding. Of course pro basketball players have big wingspans it's one the things that makes them successful bballers. You are basically saying usain bolts runs fast.
What are you talking about? Their wingspans will be larger in raw terms because they are taller. But it's the difference we are talking about here, the ratio. They are not disproportional, no more than NFL running backs are.

That's not even my main data set. Do it for MMA fighters if you like. The difference will be around 2" as I've said. I don't see any room to argue.

BTW it seems the data you posted, which indicated a difference of 1.6", seems to include females from my reading (it isn't stated unless I missed it). That would skew the difference down slightly as females are shorter.

What are you talking about? Their wingspans will be larger in raw terms because they are taller. But it's the difference we are talking about here, the ratio. They are not disproportional, no more than NFL running backs are.

That's not even my main data set. Do it for MMA fighters if you like. The difference will be around 2" as I've said. I don't see any room to argue.

The average NBA has incredibly long arms in comparison to their height. The players measured at the 2014 combine had a wingspan that is, on average, 4.8 inches longer than their height. Their ratio of wingspan to height is greater than that of the average man. Guess what?? they are also taller than the average man, they can higher and have an ability to put a round ball through a basket that is greater than the average man. Using the wingspan of the average NBA player to make any assumptions about the rest of the worlds population is nonsensical. It's a sampling error. A good analogy is if you to watch an NBA and make an assumption about the race ratios in the United States. If you did that you would make the incorrect assumption that 78% of the people in the US are black. :eek: If MMA fighters on average have a 2 inch "ape index", great. That is an indication that a long reach is a genetic trait that has facilitated their success in MMA but it has absolutely nothing to do with the entire worlds population average wingspan to height ratio. ZERO. NADA. ZILTCH. Please consider taking a statistics class online or watching some videos, read a book etc. It sounds like you are interested in the numbers aspects of sports but you are unable to correctly interpret your data into some meaningful findings. I would love someone to find the average win / loss records of MMA fighters with a longer reach vs. opponents with a shorter reach. Does it matter? Does the larger the reach differential the larger the winning percentage become? this would actually be useful in betting. Good luck, I'm bailing on this topic because I don't know how else to explain it.

Reach is on average height plus two inches.
Please stop saying this!! How about for the average MMA fighter reach is 2 inches greater than height. Otherwise it's just not true.

Please stop saying this!! How about for the average MMA fighter reach is 2 inches greater than height. Otherwise it's just not true.
Dude. You literally posted a link to an article that verifies this for the general population. I have no idea why the eff you are debating with me??

And for boxers the reach measures were all over the place. I'm sure if you plot a graph there will be no correlation with ranking and reach. Some have long arms, others like GGG have T. Rex arms. Some guys are Sonny Liston, others Tyson and Frazier.

You really have me confused when you yourself posted a good study verifying the adage.

Back