Tyron Woodley: 'Don't leave it in the judges hands' is the stupidest comment ever!

Motion to change "don't leave it in the hands of the judges" to "don't get mad when you have a closely contested point fight, hug fest or lay and pray fight and don't get the decision"

I second that motion...

Agree, the reason Dana spams this comment everywhere is because he want guys to take each others heads off, it will please just bleed crowd $$$ who could give a fuck about a fighters health.

Bravo Tyron.

Tyron Woodley wants fight fans to stop saying "don't leave it in the judges hands." This phrase -- and the accompanying mindset -- makes him angry. And he vented his anger on Twitter recently with the following statement:

"People! Quit saying 'don't leave it in the judges hands!' That's the stupidest comment ever. Your sound bites are delusional. No fighter thinks 'Hey I'm going to leave it in the judges' hand'. No fighter wants to get finished.

"The higher you go in competition the closer the match up is!

"Quit being a recorder and repeating everything you hear Joe or Dana say. Be an individual and fan.

"Know you have no clue the mental capacity it takes to compete on this level. The sacrifice, diet, training, sparring, luck, favor, being at the top during you peak, and being fortunate to not have substantial injuries during 3-4 training camps per year. Not to include family, finance, life struggles, and uncontrollable variables.

"We UFC fighters appreciate your passion, but you are passionate to a fault. Living through these Saturday fight nights, taking stabs and shots at people you don't know from a stranger on the street. Life is larger than the Octagon.

"Sunday you are done talking about the fight. Monday you go back to work. We go back to work in the gym. To fulfill these ridiculous expectations you blood thirsty fans want to see. Risking our health, time with family and the leisure activity you get to enjoy on the weekend.

"I challenge all non-fighters to do an 8-week camp and take 1 amateur fight to appreciate what we do more deeply and become a more conditional fan."

Your thoughts?

I think he is right. 100%

Tyron Woodley wants fight fans to stop saying "don't leave it in the judges hands." This phrase -- and the accompanying mindset -- makes him angry. And he vented his anger on Twitter recently with the following statement:

"People! Quit saying 'don't leave it in the judges hands!' That's the stupidest comment ever. Your sound bites are delusional. No fighter thinks 'Hey I'm going to leave it in the judges' hand'.

I've seen numerous fights where one or both fighters felt confident that they were ahead on points, and making no effort whatsoever to finish.

There are definitely fighters whose intent is to leave it in the hands of the judges.

I agree with him but at the same time for him to say he fights to please fans is a little disingenuous. I'm sure he likes pleasing fans but most likely he fights because he enjoys it and gets paid to do it. I know it seems like I'm nitpicking but I've never been a fan of the characterization of fighters as selfless people who work so hard for us when in reality its like Don Frye has said, its actually a selfish endeavor.

Way until he loses his first close decision and people will remind him of "Don't leave it on the hands of the judges"

I mean, he has a point, but are we going to pretend like some fighters aren't actually trying to point fight? lol.

Let's look at Rory vs Lombard. Rory isn't going to KO Lombard and probably wont sub him. So he has to out-work him ergo point fight if he plans on winning. There's always a chance of a finish but it' s very unlikely.

I hate coasting, lay'n'pray, wall'n'stall and back-pedalling.

He can bitch up as big of a storm as he wants, but the reality is that the judges sometimes make decisions that are downright nonsensical. Some fighters actually admit to coasting, and it's extremely rare for fighters to go balls-out creating finishing opportunities. Sure, most fighters take the opportunities where they get them, but the "don't leave it in the hands of the judges" saying is meant to encourage fighters to take more risks to create more openings if they don't want to deal with subjective scoring.

Never-leave-it-in-the-hands-of-the-judges.jpg

Didn't see that one coming...

The Bendo v. Cerrone context is EXACTLY the context where "don't leave it in the hands of the judges" is appropriate. It was a close fight where neither fighter was particularly aggressive and the fight genuinely could have gone either way.

In that context I don't think it's appropriate for either fighter to be upset if he ends up on the short end of the decision.

So what was Bendo supposed to do in Dana's eyes? Throw looping overhand rights at Cerrone hoping he will KO him because he must be sure that he is winning? Why would he do that? And I don't even like Bendo but thats just silly.

Just saying these things doesn't mean they can be applied in a fight. Finishing someone is not easy, some people have ridiculous chins, others have less power in hands. It is not black and white.

Being inactive and losing a fight based on that (a la Hendricks vs Lawler 2) is another thing but Dana used this line so many times referring to fights that were not like that.

Every time when there is a fishy or close decision, even if guy was dominating and simply couldn't put other guy away, Dana would say this line. Like he said to Hendricks "hah lol well you should've finished GSP then if you wanted to win"....hah yeah because people were finishing GSP left and right. Spencer was doing everything he knew to KO Pendred but couldn't, he tried and couldn't finish it. Snapped his head so many times but just couldn't. I guess he needed to pull a gun or something because "never leave it in the judges hands brah".

So much garbage from Dana. I can go on how many times he used this line while not referring to inactivity at all. He never talks about inactivity, he is clearly referring to getting a finish out of nowhere like finish is something granted. I'm not defending point fighting, I hate it so much just look at my belt lol, but this line is just stupid.

I can appreciate what he is saying in terms of the average joe not understanding what it is like to train and compete in MMA...but he could also do well with a reality check.

so he challenges everyone to go do an 8-week camp and fight? Great, and the nurses and physicians among us challenge his ignorant a** to do a round in an ER for 8 weeks of the year. The elementary school teachers among us challenge him to deal with 30 5yr olds for semester. The policeman, firefighters, and paramedics among us challenge him to be on call, and be first responders to a tragedy, never knowing what they will have to deal with on ANY given day for those two months. The single parents among us challenge him to work two jobs AND take care of their kids. The list obviously goes on and on...

but Tyrone is upset at 'don't leave it in the hands of the judges'? LMAO - get the f**k over yourself, dude. Millions of your fellow citizens deal with difficulties EVERY SINGLE DAY and don't feel the need to cry about what others have to say about it.

Agree.

Notice how Hendricks, "the power finisher" has the gone the distance 4 straight fights.
Jon Jones has gone the distance in his last 3 fights, and 4 straight fights against 205ers
Its not just Hendricks. It is Lawler, Diaz and Condit too. Guys who were called a murders row at WW and had so many saying that with GSP gone they were excited to see finishes again at WW amongst the too guys. lol, only to see that these guys combined, now when fighting top 5 opponents, have a worse finish rate than GSP did.

Oh don't even start talking about spending time with family and friends, he at least gets to go home and see his wife and kids everyday after work. I'm stationed overseas and I don't get to see my family everyday like he does

Casuals often repeat Dana and Joe verbatim. I don't know how many times I've heard or read the term "murderer's row" after Dana said it.

murderers row is an old ass term. hell, the 1927 yankees had that as their name.

Yup.

I get the idea behind "don't leave it to the judges" (judges are crap), but finishing an elite fighter isn't always easy.

And for people who always say "well they should take more risks to finish", that's just a stupid, stupid comment, especially since these "risks" are rarely defined. Often, the best finishers (like Anderson and Jones) are taking very few risks when they achieve their finishes.

I very much doubt Woodley was trying to finish Daley in that fight.

Back