Tyron Woodley Doesn't Get Enough Respect for One Thing

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by ReadWrite, Jul 22, 2019.

?

Is Woodley HOF worthy?

1. Y

34.5%
  2. N

65.5%
  1. ReadWrite

ReadWrite Red Belt Platinum Member

One of the Last of a Dying Breed

Tyron Woodley was the welterweight champion from July 2016 to March 2019, but is sitting on the sidelines waiting for his next fight.

It seems likely he won’t get an instant rematch, which many champions get. Instead, he will have to work his way back up to the title. With that, his coach in Duke Roufus believes Woodley doesn’t get the praise he deserves for his run as champion.

Especially due to how active he fought and how many times he took fights on short notice, which many champions aren’t willing to do:

“I want to reiterate about Tyron: a lot of people don’t realize, we soldiered through back-to-back-to-back-to-back fights, right out of injury into short training camps,” Roufus said to MMA Fighting.

“A lot of people sometimes don’t give Tyron his due credit. He fought four title fights in 364 days. The only guy to break that record is Jon Jones. Those were back-to-back fights, we were doing six-week training camps for five-round fights, which is kind of an anomaly in our sport.

“Most people want to take a longer training camp for a longer fight and I’m very proud of that body of work that we put together through Woodley, coach Din (Thomas), and myself. He was on just a crazy schedule, so I like this little layoff. It’s helping Tyron grow not only as a fighter, but as a person.

“And I’m proud of him too. You only live once, so I’m happy he’s pursuing music, acting, etc., he’s just a very happy guy right now.”

Although Tyron Woodley asked for the money fights on numerous occasions, he still took on number one contenders like Stephen Thompson and Darren Till. He continuously fought the next man up, and Roufus would like to see more praise come his pupil’s way for doing so.

-LowKickMMA.com

2. Klaavical

Klaavical Brown Belt

Dana hates Woodley.

3. momchamp

momchamp Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I never thought I would miss Woodley as a champ but god bless Usman.

fortheo likes this.
  4. cheesus

cheesus Silver Belt

Don't know if he is hall of fame worthy, is every champion with a few title defences going to be hall of fame worthy ? if that's the case then sure, there are still many fighters that should be inducted into the UFC hall of fame.

5. RockyLockridge

RockyLockridge Red Belt

his title run was objectively shit. he had one good win in darren till.

He had a draw with thompson, I thought he lost.
    then he beat thompson, I scored it a draw.
    Then, he had probably the worst ww title fight in history and one of the worst title fights ever against Damien maia, where they set a record for least amount of strikes thrown in a title fight.

then the good win over till followed, by getting dominated 50-44 to lose his title. it wasn't an impressive title run anyway you slice it. mix those facts in with the nate diaz and conor mcgregor call outs and you go from bad title run, to absolute joke.

6. Egészségére!

Egészségére! Brown Belt

Dana not giving Woodley an immediate rematch was the easiest money bet in the history of mma

7. Joker Jiujitsu

Joker Jiujitsu Free toy in my Happy Meal

Wonder if Woodley will try the Stipe approach and sit out until he gets the exact fight he wants (preferably a title rematch)? Or will he settle?

WW is a lot deeper than HW with too many exciting contenders. Woodley is letting the last of what could be his prime slip by.

RockyLockridge likes this.
  8. Death By Samson

Death By Samson Silver Belt

The Hall of Fame is meaningless. Bonnar is in it ffs.

9. Oeshon

Oeshon ช่างมันเถอะ

so fighting 4 times in a year is now meant to be amazing?

3 fights a year used to be the fucking standard. 4 fights is just 1 extra fight.

REAL legends used to fight 2-3 times in a single night.

10. RockyLockridge

RockyLockridge Red Belt

maybe if the fight had been even remotely close or even somewhat exciting it would have gotten a rematch, but with an absolutely snoozer of a fight like that most people didn't wanna watch the first time. jones just happened to be fighting that night.

Mr.Maelstrom likes this.
  11. Danespina

Danespina Gold Belt

Horiguchi in Rizin (3 fights over 2 nights).

qw3rty, fortheo and SomniumRabidum like this.
  12. Siesta

Siesta Brown Belt

Woodley should be happy he still has his TMZ gig, because he's not getting a title shot anytime soon.

Kertol and The Rev like this.
  13. Gambit MMA

Gambit MMA Silver Belt

props to him but he got beat like i imagined it going down, and on top of that his little bromance duo with askren was cringeworthy at times. listening to them talk about dominating 2 divisions and their both gonna be ufc champs. a few months after that both have been humbled and arent close to gold anytime soon

RockyLockridge likes this.
  14. RustyShacleford

RustyShacleford Blue Belt

People just don't understand that Woodley needs one or two fights to charge his power level before he can activate.

15. TheJohnnyWalkerEra

TheJohnnyWalkerEra Blue Belt

It's hard to give someone a rematch when they get absolutely dominated for 25 minutes

16. Egészségére!

Egészségére! Brown Belt

I'm not so sure. I mean I was exaggerating and you could be right but the way Dana has treated some fighters he doesn't like it wouldn't surprise me that if Woodley had been winning 4 rounds 55 sec. of that fight and lost in the last 5 sec that Dana wouldn't have given him a rematch either.

HunterAcosta likes this.
  17. seeyouaunty

seeyouaunty Green Belt

Pretty ironic talking about taking fights on short notice when that is exactly what he tried to do to his challengers. Maia had to take the fight on very short notice and he tried to do the same to Colby.

lolo 06, Yukito, Kertol and 3 others like this.
  18. rakeleaves

rakeleaves Brown Belt

Say it wasn't an impressive title run but how many champs actually go on a run? Just the fact that he did is a huge feat regardless of how much you downplay his wins.

amok attitude likes this.
  19. oldschoolmmafan

oldschoolmmafan PEOPLE=SHIT

He deserves it more than a lot of others in there, so why not.

amok attitude likes this.
  20. DatSamboKid

DatSamboKid Black Belt

I think he is. He was a great champion.

Fight To Win likes this.