Tyron Woodley complaining about Conor McGregor getting special treatment by UFC

Let's be honest, if Woodley "marketed" himself the way McGregor has, people would call him arrogant and cocky. But when McGregor does it, it's because he's smart and is funny. May not be a result of full blown racism but we've seen it plenty of times where a black fighter is ridiculed for being cocky and full of confidence but when a white fighter does it no one goes bat shit crazy.

muhammad ali

also, conor gets called arrogant and cocky all of the time. I think we have a case of racist projection here.

Conor's mouth is something that Woodley doesn't have.

No matter how much UFC tries to promote Woodley, he will just not be as big of a star as Conor.

This UFC made Conor by pushing him is flash.

They put a mic in front of Conor just like they put a mic in front of Woodley and all the other UFC stars.

Conor calls his shots and then backs it up and calls another shot.

Full agreement
At some point Conor did get more push than others, but it's because from very early on they realized they had something. Some fighters have that unique charisma - Conor is one of those guys.

muhammad ali

also, conor gets called arrogant and cocky all of the time. I think we have a case of racist projection here.
Ali was fucking hated by a vast majority too. Brush up on your history fam. And everytime I bring up this issue and all people can say is Ali. Let's not forget that a majority of people are fans of "winners" so they'll become a fan of someone who's on top regardless of race.

Conor caught fire, but there's plenty of examples of the UFC pushing him relatively early. He said "Conor did enough to show he had star power" which is what you argued with your original statement.
Dude said "I wish I had a fraction of the push Conor and Ronda get" (paraphrasing). Somehow that's a problem

You just said "Woodley is mad because the UFC didn't spoonfeed him from the start" that was never implied at all in what he said.

No, you and him are totally minimizing the fact that Conor was only pushed after he had a popularity among fans. His name was on radar after the brimage fight and exponentially grew after the the Holloway fight. He marketed himself, we bought into that, the UFC picked up on it and then pushed it.

You can market Woodley with a multi million dollar tour -- end to end coverage and he still wouldnt garner what Conor does because we just dont care enough.

Sage is another example -- he has front page threads even before he got into the cage -- had he won four straight, the UFC hype behind him would've been insane

Same with Perry.

Fans dictate who gets pushes -- not the UFC.

Woodley comes off jealous as if he thinks he is entitled to the same recognition and stature -- but has not done anything to earn that kind of fervor from the fans.

Kevin Lee, Angela Hill, I'm sure there's more.
Angela Hill is a black guy? Okay.
You know what's worse that someone who always calls racism, a person who acts as if racism doesn't exist.

No, you and him are totally minimizing the fact that Conor was only pushed after he had a popularity among fans. His name was on radar after the brimage fight and exponentially grew after the the Holloway fight. He marketed himself, we bought into that, the UFC picked up on it and then pushed it.
Any fighter is only marketed when they catch fire with fans. At no point was it implied that Conor was marketed from the get go. Since you've now watched the video it seems like your problem is with the phrasing "A little bit" which you find dismissive.

You can market Woodley with a multi million dollar tour -- end to end coverage and he still wouldnt garner what Conor does because we just dont care enough.

No shit. That wasn't what was being argued.

Sage is another example -- he has front page threads even before he got into the cage -- had he won four straight, the UFC hype behind him would've been insane

Same with Perry.

Fans dictate who gets pushes -- not the UFC.

It's more the media than the fans or at least both together, but again - not what was being argued.

If you want to argue that Woodley will never be as popular as Conor, no one is going to argue against that. But if you want to argue that the UFC didn't give Conor special treatment? That's dumb. HE DESERVED special treatment, and in the video Woodley's not asking for that same treatment, he just wants to be promoted like other champions of the sport because he feels like he's not - if anything what he can be criticized for is feeling that way prematurely, and being butthurt over them promoting Wonderboy over him.

The guy is saying that he thinks he could be more of a star with a little more exposure. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that statement - what most people in the thread are reacting too are the title of the video and the title of the thread, not what was actually said.

Oh and plenty of fighters have gotten pushed because the UFC thinks they're stars before anyone else really does, Paige VanZant comes immediately to mind. Actually I think Sage got push and exposure before he even debuted as the next phenom.

Ali was fucking hated by a vast majority too. Brush up on your history fam. And everytime I bring up this issue and all people can say is Ali. Let's not forget that a majority of people are fans of "winners" so they'll become a fan of someone who's on top regardless of race.

first of all im not your "fam"

second of all conor gets plenty of hate, probably more than Ali.

and maybe people bring it up because you are trying to say a black guy would only get hate if he's cocky. well ali is a perfect example of a guy who was universally loved for being cocky. sure, some may hated him, but most didn't he was the most popular athlete let alone boxer of his time.

stop trying to say white fighters get a pass when they don't, at all. Stop trying to say people are racist when in reality you're the one whose racist.

It's really not though. Ali was the most beloved boxer of the 70's.

if you can name me one boxer who was more popular during that era ill delete my account right now.

percentage wise, mcgregor probably has more haters than ali.

It's really not though. Ali was the most beloved boxer of the 70's.

if you can name me one boxer who was more popular during that era ill delete my account right now.

percentage wise, mcgregor probably has more haters than ali.
It wasn't for being cocky.

Oh for fuck sakes it's got nothing to do with racism. Conor gets special treatment and that it a fact. If he was saying all white fighters get treated better than ethnic fighters it would be a conversation of racism.

Good thing the UFC never went out of their way to do any favors for Jon Jones....he might have a point.

It wasn't for being cocky.

it was for being cocky, being funny, and being good.

just like conor.

If you know anything about boxing, you'd know that Joe Frazier got so much hate for beating ali in 1970 he almost (or did) have to pull his kids out of school.

just accept your double standard and move on

I listened to the whole thing. Can someone point to me where he brought up race, because I missed it.

giphy.gif

Back