type 1 diabetic fighter.

TONY THAI

White Belt
Reaction score
im a newly diagnosed type 1 diabetic. after returing from my tour in iraq i became ill and found out i was diabetic i was medically released. my doctor told me to find a activity so i did i been trainin muay thai since 2007 and i love it i just became intereted in competeting. im very excited . i wanted to know if there is any diabtics here with advice for pre/post workout meals, and if you had any complications with your feet. im 148 pounds my sugar levels are well undercontrol i do pretty good on my own but im just seeing if there are more people like me. thank you

One of my best friends is a type 1 diabetic. He has his second pro fight on Saturday. Good news is that it won't stop you from training and if you want to, competing. Bad news is that since you're recently diagnosed, it's going to take a lot of careful observation and trial and error on your end to find out how your body is going to react. I can't really give any specifics on what he does, but meal timing is crucial. Mainly I just wanted to offer some encouragement and say that yes it is possible to be a successful combat athlete and be diabetic.

Just remember that intense exercise lowers your blood glucose levels so be careful about working out after taking insulin. It might not be a good idea.

Back