Crime Tx school district wants to balance Holocaust books with opposing views

Miles different from calling into question the event's factuality.
Yes but every time you literally question anything, you get called a Holocaust denier. Kind of like the unquestionable event happening right now that if you question, a bunch of crazies will come after you.

What part of the link are you disagreeing with? Because he didn't misrepresent the language itself. It requires teachers to present every subject without deference to any perspective. In the context of the Holocaust, that would mean that the teacher can't teach about the Holocaust without giving more deference to the perspective that the Nazis were anti-Semitic over the perspective that the Nazis were not anti-Semitic. I don't know if that's the intended outcome but it's what the language requires.

Honestly, I think it's even worse than that. The language even forbids teachers from giving kids extra credit for attempting to engage the political process.
I posted about this is in a previous thread I made, but It got merged and I can't find it now. But right when this was first in the pipeline in Texas, teachers pointed out the problems. Another example they used was slavery. They asked how are we supposed to teach about slavery without giving deference to any one side?

I posted about this is in a previous thread I made, but It got merged and I can't find it now. But right when this was first in the pipeline in Texas, teachers pointed out the problems. Another example they used was slavery. They asked how are we supposed to teach about slavery without giving deference to any one side?

Republicans backers of the Texas House Bill are saying their Bill does not require differing opinions of the Holocaust be taught. In Florida, the Republicans who sponsored the anti CRT bill also forbade Holocaust denial in the Bill. So Republicans aren't really interested in differing opinions, they just want to use any means possible to stop schools taking a hard look at America's race , gender and sexual orientation issues.

You're a bad man
:)

Mock slave auctions, racist lessons: How US history class often traumatizes, dehumanizes Black students

On Wednesday, an official at a Mississippi middle school apologized after eighth graders were asked to pretend they were enslaved people, including writing letters discussing their "journey to America" and the family they "live with/work for."

During Black History Month, a Florida high school teacher was suspended with pay after allegedly telling students slaves were not whipped by white people and that the N-word, a racist slur, “just means ignorant."

In February 2020, a student-teacher in Tennessee gave her fourth grade students an assignment called "Let's Make a Slave" about a speech from the 1700s about keeping Black slaves under control.

In 2019, a fifth grade teacher was accused of holding a mock slave auction in which white students bid on Black students in New York.​

It's entirely possible this article and other ones like it are steaming piles of garbage, but it's also entirely possible they aren't.

I believe the people who proposed this, are essentially saying that if opposing views to historical fact must be permitted(like CRT), then other crazy theories must also be considered when touching on other subjects.

I hope you are right, but I believe the people who proposed this are for "opposing viewpoints" when it comes to Nazi stuff. but NOT for "opposing viewpoints" when it comes to CRT stuff. IF they are not doing this with the intellectual consistency you are suggesting, I really wonder what the motivation is.

This is really wild.

I know I shouldn't be surprised but this is really a new low.

I hope you are right, but I believe the people who proposed this are for "opposing viewpoints" when it comes to Nazi stuff. but NOT for "opposing viewpoints" when it comes to CRT stuff. IF they are not doing this with the intellectual consistency you are suggesting, I really wonder what the motivation is.

The administrator who proposed the opposing viewpoints for the Holocaust, and other teachers who were concerned they couldn't teach about slavery without providing opposing viewpoints are NOT promoting Neo Nazi ideology, they are being consistent on the application of the law and fearfull that the House Bill will stop them teaching about anything racial, gender, sexual orientation related unless they provide opposing viewpoints.

Last edited:
If you read this part of the law and thought that meant you needed to bring on an opposing view to the Holocaust, you're either a moron and don't deserve your job or you are intentionally being ignorant to muddy the waters.

"teachers who choose to discuss current events or widely debated and currently controversial issues of public policy or social affairs shall, to the best of their ability, strive to explore such issues from diverse and contending perspectives without giving deference to any one perspective;"

I'm talking about the mass famine, chaos, incessant partisan attacks and retaliations, and logistics breakdown, as well as very unclear lines of responsibility within that state. The Hollywood story is a part of it but it focuses very tightly in on one aspect of the catastrophe that was WW2, there was a cascading series of Very Bad Things going on that fed into one another.
<{fry}>

If you read this part of the law and thought that meant you needed to bring on an opposing view to the Holocaust, you're either a moron and don't deserve your job or you are intentionally being ignorant to muddy the waters.

"teachers who choose to discuss current events or widely debated and currently controversial issues of public policy or social affairs shall, to the best of their ability, strive to explore such issues from diverse and contending perspectives without giving deference to any one perspective;"
The Bill doesn't specifically say what issues are debatable, so it is broad in its scope.

Is the opposing view that numbers were exaggerated? If so why does it matter? It was still an evil thing to do.

The Bill doesn't specifically say what issues are debatable, so it is broad in its scope.

Does the Holocaust fit any of the below?
1. current event
2. widely debated and currently controversial issues of public policy
3. social affairs

Does the Holocaust fit any of the below?
1. current event
2. widely debated and currently controversial issues of public policy
3. social affairs

It can fit in #2 and #3. There are contemporary Holocaust deniers on the fringe rightwing. 20 years ago David Irnving lost his liberal case against Debroah Lipstadt. Holocaust remmemberance and education is very much part of the contemporary Zeitgeist.

Also isn't the Bill itself biased to only focus on current events? And how current is "current events" ?

People are free to discuss whatever they want. But school isn't for bullshit like conspiracy theories and religion, as much as the religious right wishes it were. It's for education.

Cool.

Now do "the left".

Except that none of that has happened really. Some Nazis may get punched now and then though. On the other hand. Look what Nazi rhetoric caused https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_synagogue_shooting

An actual mass shooting chalked up to something like The Great Replacement CT. Which seems more dangerous to you?

Sorry to butt into your convo with that now banned poster, but do you realize that Synagogue shooting had less victims than a typical Chicago weekend?

https://www.wkrg.com/video/children-among-16-dead-47-wounded-in-chicago-weekend-shootings/5632143/

Seems to me that black gangbangers are a lot more dangerous to society than your one time Synagogue shooter.

Surely you are just as concerned and disgusted by the weekly death totals from Chicago, right?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...gT1xJ4kgwa7UXQ3rqQWg-NZOv4WbwUgIIFqif_tvE66lM
This from the same state that called slaves workers. Don’t change Texas. This is what happens when you get people who think if you don’t talk about history it didn’t happen.
I get not teaching all white people are evil but what is exactly opposing views to the Holocaust.
Holocaust education was taught to me as a child.

Since adulthood, I've heard disagreements about it. I will leave out the more extreme opposing views. But, questions regarding the accuracy of the total numbers, the locations of the camps, the plausibility of different actions (like what soap and lampshades were made out of), that other mass death should be covered just as much (Holodomor), etc.

I'm not for nor against the school district's point. I don't know enough about the topic. But in terms of opposing views that might have merit, there might be a couple of reasonable ones.

I am sure somoene in the Texas legislature can pull the copy of 'Mein Kamph' off their bedside dresser and loan it out for few classes.

gettyimages-501415222-1584471833.jpg

That would actually be hilarious. A teacher should bring it in and give the Teaxs State Legislature all the credit.
Mein Kampf would not be taught as an opposite viewpoint to the holocaust, what kind of silly notion is that? It's not an opposing viewpoint of the holocaust, it's a primary factor in the holocaust.

You guys really fire from the hip before thinking things through.

An opposing viewpoint to the holocaust would be a complete denial that it took place, or that it is insignificant in numbers. We know this to be nonsensical so of course there would be no need to bring in a measured differing viewpoint to the event, because there isn't one. This isn't the point of the bill at all, and is simply being made into a game by the post-modernist dummies who don't understand what they've started.

Didn't take long for actual Nazis to come in here and defend this.
I'm beside myself

All it took was for Trump to be elected for a significant portion of America to capsize on its head like this. They're claiming censorship for Christ sake

The administrator who was in charge of curriculum told teachers they have to provide books giving an opposing view of the holocaust because the anti CRT law (House Bill 3979) requires teachers provide different views when discussing controversial and debated issues.

It's not the administrator's fault, it's the anti CRT law that is forcing her to do this.
How is the Holocaust controversial?!

It happened
Like that

Back