Two things Conor did well that people aren't giving credit to

It’s a decent win. Hooker is a 2nd tier fighter.

I think you're underestimate him. He has wins over serious fucking guys like Burns, Vick and Iaquinta

like really take a step back and look at who you're talking about. He might not be a top 5 yet but he's really on that edge.

he only ever really showed spinning back kicks and some front snap kicks in the past. And that stupid side kick to the knee cap. He never showed us a good high roundhouse.
siver and mendes ate high kicks from connor.

Conor is a great fighter. He also has a few geniuses behind him in John Kavanaugh and Owen Roddy.

roundhouse?

if you can provide gifs I'd appreciate it. I only remember the front kicks to the body and the side kicks to the knee
conormcgregor3.jpg

I got you with a pic on one lol. Sorry

I think you're underestimate him. He has wins over serious fucking guys like Burns, Vick and Iaquinta

like really take a step back and look at who you're talking about. He might not be a top 5 yet but he's really on that edge.

Everyone and their mother is knocking out Vick at this point. Back to tonight’s fight, some folks are overrating Cowboy at this stage in his career. His time passed a while ago. Is he capable of showing out against the second tier like Shogun? Sure. Is he going to beat or even be competitive against the real elite? No and he hasn’t been in a while. No shame in that—dude is 36.

Conor missed the punch but instead of sprawling backwards against the shot threw his left knee forward and it landed against cerrone's skull. Made cerrone confused and stunned.

We all know about the shoulders being a surprisingly well used technique but Conor made a 5D chess play going for the head kick. It's normal for fighters to return kicks when they eat them. Watch pretty much any cowboy fight and you'll see it. He body kicks someone or leg kicks them and they do the same back. Conor ate the body kick and went for the head kick, knowing cerrone would read body kick.

Brilliant fight and Conor is actually surprisingly better than ever.

{<Mcgoat}

I gotta agree on the head kick.

That is Conor evolving. A lot of talk before this fight (and most/all his prior fights) was about the left hand and his everything leads to that.

Well apparently Conor has head kicks now.
(He threw them occasionally before but was never particularly effective)

That kick was placed and timed perfectly.

This was Fedor/Jones-Esque, in that he beat Cerrone where he was best. If someone said the fight ended via creative shoulder strikes and finished with a headkick, NO ONE would believe you.

It's not about seeing them. It's about seeing them actually thrown with intent to do damage. Usually it's there to look busy while you're holding someone against a cage.

Jon throws them with obvious damage intent. Conor only had the success he did because Cowboy's head was down and they landed on the nose instead of the jaw.

if you rewatch it you can actually see him hop forward a little once he lines it up
Conor shouldn't get praise for throwing a punch with terrible technique. He "hoped forward" because he threw his whole body weigh into the punch and would have face planted if he didn't. A punch like that gets you countered or put on your ass by good fighters

This was a good tune up fight, against a guy that was 4-6 in his last 10 fights. Nothing more.

How was it a good tune up fight there was no fight at all. We didnt learn anything about conor like did he's cardio improve ? does he have power in hands at 170? he didnt even get hit once, just a wimp cowboy rolled over from the get go.

How was it a good tune up fight there was no fight at all. We didnt learn anything about conor like did he's cardio improve ? does he have power in hands at 170? he didnt even get hit once, just a wimp cowboy rolled over from the get go.

You don’t answer those questions against a washed up fighter who is no longer competitive with the top fighters. Also, he just needed a win against someone people recognize. A losing streak is bad for his brand. At least now he can continue to give excuses for getting whooped by Khabib. I’m sure Conor and his camp are happy with the outcome.

Back