two questions

seideJitsu

White Belt
Reaction score
First: is there a way to choke from north-south position? i mean nogi.
Second: do you have any resource explaining the different grips you can do with your own hands and wich is better for every situation?
For example doing the baseball bat choke nogi you grip palms together but in other situation you could grip fingers together...
Is there a best way of doing it or it's just a question of personal preference? :)
bye and thanks :)

i have a reverse arm-triangle choke i finish from north-south, but i dont know any chokes done exclusively from there.

generally, you wont want finger-intertwined grips, and grips using your thumb are even used sparingly. this is because you can break your fingers if your opponent freaks out and moves violently. i use a "monkey grip" (hands clasped, no thumbs) for most no gi grips.

hope this was helpful.

colinm said:
i have a reverse arm-triangle choke i finish from north-south, but i dont know any chokes done exclusively from there.

generally, you wont want finger-intertwined grips, and grips using your thumb are even used sparingly. this is because you can break your fingers if your opponent freaks out and moves violently. i use a "monkey grip" (hands clasped, no thumbs) for most no gi grips.

hope this was helpful.
sorry for my english...
I wasn't talking about putting fingers of a hand between the fingers of the other one, that way is sure u break everything :D
I use the monkey grip and i saw a lot of videos where they use the grip "palm to palm" same position hands are when u wash them :)

The reverse arm triangle u use i suppose is like the anaconda but upside down?

Since i tried once to do something like a reverse guillotine :D but obviously wasn't working at all ....btw was improvised tecnique...I had his neck completely undefended and i said:"I had to try something :D"
thanks for the advices :)

There's a no-gi clock choke that works in north-south. You wrap your arm around the back of his neck and your pec/shoulder presses on his throat. Your free hand pushes on his hip and you rotate your body slightly toward the choking arm.

There's also an inverted triangle, but once you start you are no longer in north-south but instead sitting on his head/neck.

Forgot to mention, if you go to subfighter.com and check out ADCC highlights you can see Tito Ortiz doing this, I just wasn't sure how it was done since the camera view doesn't make it entirely clear. You'll have to register to see it, but its free.

Bump.

I'm pretty sure this is the oldest thread on the f12 I can bump.

You're welcome.

Back