Two questions for those who are anti-MMA Union

Destroyed? Well that's not really what's at stake, the real question is, do you want to pay the same ticket and merchandise prices for UFC as you do for NFL and NBA?
The point you are making isn't real.
The players union is not the reason you pay nfl prices.
Supply and demand is.
You don't see anyone paying thousands to see Cleveland play the Texans.
And if and when ufc can raise prices on merchandise and events they do. In Denver ufc tix in the first few rows was around 500.
I can see the Broncos regular season game for 100.
Playoff games for 500.
They are the world fucking champs.
UFC 202 will have insane ticket prices for the first few rows.
Take your bias away and be open minded.
It isn't always blue or red.

Here is a counter argument, albeit a small one.

Fighter X decides the day before the fight that he doesn't like what he is going to get paid. He decides to not fight on the main event the next night, knowing that since he will claim it's a dispute over pay, then he will suffer no consequences.

Much anticipated main event is cancelled, Fighter X still gets some cash, and will soon sign to fight again...........without any insurance he will actually fight when the time comes.
Really?

Please list the number of sports that were destroyed when players got unionized ("destroyed" being the proper standard since this is what the Chicken Little anti-Union folks insist will happen).

Please list the number of sports that were more popular, more profitable, and more visible before their players got unionized.

SPOILER ALERT

You can't name one.

Yet you will insist that a Union is a existential threat to the entire sport. You'll repeat conservative bullshit that you uncritically accept in the face of real world examples to the contrary.

I don't know the new owners. But they claim to want to take the UFC to new heights. You know they had to know about the lawsuit, the Ali Act, and of rumblings about a fighter's Union yet they ponied up 4 billion dollars anyway.

My guess/hope is that the "new heights" they speak of means taking the UFC from its current redneck trash niche to real sport status. A real sport has a Union. Baseball, football, soccer, basketball, and hockey. All unionized. Imagine if any of these sports were not unionized and players only got 10/10?

Unionization will lead to the sport getting bigger, much more profitable, and much more visible. In others, new heights.

The status quo will keep the sport dependent on the archaic PPV model and pin their hopes on a few fighters breaking into the mainstream every couple of years.
I counter your question with:

Name one fking individual-contributor sport where a union exists.

keyboard warrior at it's finest,
I'm not even acting tough or angry. Aren't they prerequisits for being a keyboard warrior? Or are you just throwing the term around without knowing its meaning?

Please list the number of sports that were destroyed when players got unionized ("destroyed" being the proper standard since this is what the Chicken Little anti-Union folks insist will happen).

Please list the number of sports that were more popular, more profitable, and more visible before their players got unionized.

SPOILER ALERT

You can't name one.

Yet you will insist that a Union is a existential threat to the entire sport. You'll repeat conservative bullshit that you uncritically accept in the face of real world examples to the contrary.

I don't know the new owners. But they claim to want to take the UFC to new heights. You know they had to know about the lawsuit, the Ali Act, and of rumblings about a fighter's Union yet they ponied up 4 billion dollars anyway.

My guess/hope is that the "new heights" they speak of means taking the UFC from its current redneck trash niche to real sport status. A real sport has a Union. Baseball, football, soccer, basketball, and hockey. All unionized. Imagine if any of these sports were not unionized and players only got 10/10?

Unionization will lead to the sport getting bigger, much more profitable, and much more visible. In others, new heights.

The status quo will keep the sport dependent on the archaic PPV model and pin their hopes on a few fighters breaking into the mainstream every couple of years.

Nfl,mlb,nhl,nba all have teams and off season. Ufc doesn't have teams and no off season. It's the first of it kind.

With ppvs and etc. What is the right split without hurting the Ufc because at the end of the day for everyone to be happy the Ufc have to be healthy. 50/50 definitely not the right split, 70/30 in Ufc favor is fair for right now. It would double fighters salaries without hurting the Ufc budget.

Ariel did name a sport that was destroyed by an union on mma beat.

I'm not even acting tough or angry. Aren't they prerequisits for being a keyboard warrior? Or are you just throwing the term around without knowing its meaning?

you think 8k is enough compensation for the chance of serious brain damage or death.

that's only something keyboard warriors believe

I don't know shit about unions. But why do you support it? What would be the benefit to the sport, and more specifically to us, the fans?

Having a union with better fighter pay would attract better athletes.

It's more than the money. An union can fight usada and the NAC. For example, two years suspension for first offenders have to change.

you think 8k is enough compensation for the chance of serious brain damage or death.

What is the limit, even if they double the pay structure that same fighter would make 16k. Part of becoming a fighter is knowing the risk. What's next, head gear inside the octagon?

What is the limit, even if they double the pay structure that same fighter would make 16k. Part of becoming a fighter is knowing the risk. What's next, head gear inside the octagon?

no, adequate pay

Hang tight while siting resources, about to smash all reconnaissance and open your minds to a new idea ....

I don't care either way. That is the fighters prerogative not mine. A fighters Union does not affect my life in any way shape or form because I do not fight for a living.

Short story short, why do people care some much about the financials of other people when you (the person) cannot effect it at all? It is up to them to know their worth and get paid for it.

Because better pay equals better athletes entering the sport and more fighters training full time.... both which result in better fights for me as a fan to watch.

Pretty easy to understand.

SPOILER ALERT

You can't name one.

So a union will make more people watch and move it from ppv?

The same guys make a lot less taking the same damage in other orgs.

I have never once in all the threads regarding fighter-unions, EVER, seen someone claim it would "destroy" MMA, or that unions have destroyed other sports.

The worst I've seen mentioned or can think of myself are cancelled seasons due to lock-outs, which would suck, but does not amount to a "destroyed" sport.

The general consensus from my POV is that the fighters are too selfish and that there are too few to actually pull off a union. Zuffa would have thrown gobs of money at the stars and said fuck the rest = union busted.

Good luck convincing Conor and Ronda to share their money.

I don't think TS addressed any real concerns or doubts.

Because better pay equals better athletes entering the sport and more fighters training full time.... both which result in better fights for me as a fan to watch.

Pretty easy to understand.

I am a huge hockey fan and could not care less what they make. I know it is less than MLB or NBA players but don't care about the amount. Is an NBA players suddenly going to decide to play hockey if the money balloons up?

These "A level athletes" are not going into the sport at a young age to get rich. They start out because they love the game. Same goes for fighters. Fighters are born not made or enticed with $$. It is in there blood and they love what they do.

With unions, there are strikes. Strikes are definitely against the interest of fans. As a fan, it is moreso to my benefit to look out for my interests than the fighters'.

I don't care either way. That is the fighters prerogative not mine. A fighters Union does not affect my life in any way shape or form because I do not fight for a living.

Short story short, why do people care some much about the financials of other people when you (the person) cannot effect it at all? It is up to them to know their worth and get paid for it.

Its called being a fan.

Why the hell do u even post here if you dont give a fuck.
I dont lick fighters balls...but i wouldnt want to see my favorite fighter on a gofundme page because hes struggling financially due to the UFC not paying out.

Back