Two questions for those who are anti-MMA Union

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Not A Real Fan, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Not A Real Fan

Not A Real Fan Purple Belt

Please list the number of sports that were destroyed when players got unionized ("destroyed" being the proper standard since this is what the Chicken Little anti-Union folks insist will happen).

Please list the number of sports that were more popular, more profitable, and more visible before their players got unionized.

SPOILER ALERT

You can't name one.

Yet you will insist that a Union is a existential threat to the entire sport. You'll repeat conservative bullshit that you uncritically accept in the face of real world examples to the contrary.

I don't know the new owners. But they claim to want to take the UFC to new heights. You know they had to know about the lawsuit, the Ali Act, and of rumblings about a fighter's Union yet they ponied up 4 billion dollars anyway.

My guess/hope is that the "new heights" they speak of means taking the UFC from its current redneck trash niche to real sport status. A real sport has a Union. Baseball, football, soccer, basketball, and hockey. All unionized. Imagine if any of these sports were not unionized and players only got 10/10?

Unionization will lead to the sport getting bigger, much more profitable, and much more visible. In others, new heights.

The status quo will keep the sport dependent on the archaic PPV model and pin their hopes on a few fighters breaking into the mainstream every couple of years.

2. xterm11

xterm11 Sonofabitch I'm sick of these dolphins

I don't care either way. That is the fighters prerogative not mine. A fighters Union does not affect my life in any way shape or form because I do not fight for a living.

Short story short, why do people care some much about the financials of other people when you (the person) cannot effect it at all? It is up to them to know their worth and get paid for it.

Hemmmmmo, Fahcough, M.V.C. and 2 others like this.
  3. Rovert

Rovert Yellow Card Yellow Card

Its a weird 1 , its more like Boxing but at the same time set up WWE style on the UFC's end .

4. GilErick

GilErick Blue Belt

They want a baseball player to represent the fighters ?
    WTF ?!

Fahcough likes this.
  5. Xaero

Xaero Brown Belt

UFC is not a sport though... i think..

6. MMAViewer

MMAViewer Black Belt

I can simplify this.

Republicans don't want unions and will bad mouth them.
    Democrats want them and will bad mouth their opposition.

We have politicized unions and our political stance has become to decisive to even have a discussion or ever compromise.

7. Bartinho

Bartinho Brown Belt

Destroyed? Well that's not really what's at stake, the real question is, do you want to pay the same ticket and merchandise prices for UFC as you do for NFL and NBA?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  8. deviake

deviake NightwingBJJ Belt

Still waiting for a counter argument. I'm curious as well.

9. chitoortiz

chitoortiz Silver Belt

No.

I wouldn't.

10. johncola

johncola Red Belt

I don't know shit about unions. But why do you support it? What would be the benefit to the sport, and more specifically to us, the fans?

Generally, fans should side with promoters, since we generally want the same things. We want good MMA. UFC wants to make MMA good to get our money. But fighters' interests seem to be against our own. MMA isn't like other sports where it's just a game, as there's health risks, and thus fighters can't fight regularly or on a schedule. To go with that, fighters generally don't want to fight. They're doing it for the money and would prefer to not "play MMA", and thus avoid risking getting beat up if they can. The more money they have, the less they're gonna wanna fight. More importantly, would unions affect matchmaking too, or just fighter pay? If it's the former, that could obviously be a bad thing, as the recent Woodley debacle shows that fighters aren't gonna put the sport above their own interest to get paid and take easy fights.

Like I said, I don't know shit about unions, but on the surface it seems bad for fans and promoters and good for fighters. I obviously want good things for the fighters, but only to the extent where it won't create a much greater negative impact (from my perspective) on the fans.

DorianGray and USAUSA1 like this.
  11. TMAN29

TMAN29 Green Belt

So let them fight through the health risks and not get compensated properly for that flr the fans viewership. Fuck u dude lol. What a joke of an argument!

freakyfarley likes this.
  12. Despotic

Despotic Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I think the people who oppose it without explaining why dont appreciate the full scope of the issue and frankly I dont think you do either judging by your attitude.

It's a high economic quandry that hasnt been solved. Labor unions monotize labor. They narrow it down to dollars and cents instead of letting the market dictate the price of labor. Many times with labor unions it is short term benefits cause long term issues. It protects low level security in exchange for limiting high level success. Keep in mind the latter doesnt necessarily apply to sports. Real world labor unions have destroyed real world industries in the past. Ask Pittsburgh how the steel industry is or how Detroit's anything industry is.

What Im saying is it is an over simplified argument on both sides.

Green Poncho likes this.
  13. F0od

F0od Brown Belt

Daddy Dana will never let this happen.

Ya goofs

14. johncola

johncola Red Belt

What's "properly"? Everyone wants as much money as possible. Nobody's slaves here.

You don't like that I'm putting my own interests ahead of the fighters, but that's different to my argument being a joke. I'm "arguing" for what I prefer. Unless you disagree about my preferences, then my argument isn't a joke. I never made an argument about what the law should be or anything like that.

One thing I would like to see is some sort of fighter pension system. That wouldn't remove incentive for fighters to take fights. Meanwhile, it'd give them peace of mind to know they're taken care of when their career is over.

greatdara likes this.
  15. TMAN29

TMAN29 Green Belt

Like you said, this doesnt apply to sports. People need to stop comparing ufc fighters situations to their own. Need ti start comparing them to other 4 billion dollor or more sports lol

16. straight6

straight6 Black Belt

anti union sherdoggers were mostly zuffa shills...but now no longer zuffa..

freakyfarley likes this.
  17. GordaoPreguico

GordaoPreguico Red Belt

none of the other sports are in anyway similar to mma. So your challenge is nonsensical.

TheLuckiest and Green Poncho like this.
  18. milliniar

milliniar Who needs a belt?

The PFA should apply to all mma orgs.

19. Sir Matticus

Sir Matticus Orange Belt

Here is a counter argument, albeit a small one.

Fighter X decides the day before the fight that he doesn't like what he is going to get paid. He decides to not fight on the main event the next night, knowing that since he will claim it's a dispute over pay, then he will suffer no consequences.

Much anticipated main event is cancelled, Fighter X still gets some cash, and will soon sign to fight again...........without any insurance he will actually fight when the time comes.

20. pbateman

pbateman Green Belt

keyboard warrior at it's finest,

TMAN29 likes this.