Two part question: Should Weidman get a immediate rematch if he loses, and would he?

dragonclaw

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
If by some fluke Weidman loses to Anderson defending his title, which based on the betting odds, the bookie's seem to think so..

1) Do you think he should get an immediate rematch?

2) Would he get an immediate rematch?

Last edited:
sooo if one of the greatest fighters of all time loses to weidman..its a fluke hmm you sir are an official captain dipshit

no, but i think 1 win before the rubber would be appropriate

I would hope so. The MW division has no #1 contender anyways. Let all the top ten guys fight it out and let's get a Weidman/Silva trilogy (if Anderson wins the rematch)

He won't get one so no point in even discussing it

Don't think he's going to need one though

He shouldn't get one and I don't think he would if that happens. Anderson shouldn't have gotten the immediate rematch either. Immediate rematches should be reserved for controversial losses only.

No he shouldnt. I also don't think Anderson should have had the immediate rematch. Should have fought TRT-rex for the Number 1 contender spot.

Will he? Probably.

Should he? Only if it's a close/controversial end (injury, foul, or some messed up decision/draw). If it's a clean loss, he should have to get at least one good win before talk of a rematch, two if it's a stoppage loss.

BUT, I say Chris pulls out the win and puts talk to a third to rest.

Edit: Anderson's getting his rematch based on setting several UFC records during his title reign, including most consecutive title defenses and longest win streak.

I think I saw this thread like 5 times this week.

He shouldn't get one and I don't think he would if that happens. Anderson shouldn't have gotten the immediate rematch either. Immediate rematches should be reserved for controversial losses only.

Agree but then you'll always hear the Serra arguments and GSP's immediate rematch or BJ's immediate rematch with Edgar. Cain didn't get one against JDS though.

I think I saw this thread like 5 times this week.

Don't worry...the Mayweather vs Every MMA fighter threads will soon drown this thread out for at least a couple of days then we'll be back to this again :)

It's really a three part question. Weidman in theory doesn't deserve an immediate title shot if he loses due to the fact Silva got one he shouldn't have he does now.

If Silva were to finish Weidman I think the UFC would make Weidman win another fight or maybe even two first. I feel the UFC just gives this treatment to champions with a bunch of defenses.

I'd say only happens if it's a close decision. UFC probably wants other fights

I don't see why he shouldn't. Let's face it, there is literally no one else at 185 that is a threat to Weidman. He beat Silva convincingly in both rounds they fought, it wasn't like it was a first round flash KO. Also, he is undefeated. The trilogy would be huge dollars for the UFC as well.

On top of that Silva has beaten pretty much everyone else at 185 so who and how do they sell Sliva fighting someone else while Weidman has his tune up fight?

I personally think Weidman takes it again. Not necessarily by a KO but more likely the strategy that everyone expected him to win by. A steady diet of takedowns, heavy gnp, and perhaps an eventual sub. Guaranteed he has the skills and the gas tank to do it.

Weidman beats Silva twice, I expect Silva will retire. If you can't be number one after being number one for so long, it's hard to go back to smashing gatekeepers (especially since he is pushing 40). Fedor, Randy, Chuck, they all have to walk away eventually.

I don't think anyone should get an immediate rematch. Anyone.

Back