Twitch Becomes Safe Space

As a business owner the idea that someone thinks people should be able to say whatever they want in the confines of my business is pretty comical.

and censorship from a business standpoint of social media is just a fantastic idea. /s

At some point a business has to. If your bottom line depends on ad revenue you have to have a line in the sand, and that line has to be more conservative than that of the companies that buy ad space. Having ads pulled because you let your social media space become the wild west is suicide, and none of these companies will do it, regardless of the personal beliefs of their C level staff. Twitch executives don't even really have a say in that anymore, as they're owned by Amazon.

First amendment protections exist because of a piece of paper that sets a legal bar, and endless hordes of lawyers that are willing to go to bat for it. Twitch and other social media platforms don't have either of those things, and unless twitch is a government entity the first amendment doesn't even begin to apply to it.

i don't think anyone said this is a 1a issue.

as for the business side, they'd be punishing their "content creators," so they'd have less content/viewers to even run ads with, anyway. besides, isn't twitch attempting to be some sort of quasi-subscription service? twitch prime, and etc.

i don't think anyone said this is a 1a issue.

as for the business side, they'd be punishing their "content creators," so they'd have less content/viewers to even run ads with, anyway. besides, isn't twitch attempting to be some sort of quasi-subscription service? twitch prime, and etc.

I saw a direct reference to the the first amendment and free speech, that's why I mentioned it. Free speech and any other perceived right doesn't exist if there isn't a way to ensure it, hence the explanation about the Bill of Rights, lawyers, etc.

Yeah, they have a subscription service for ad avoidance now, though right now ad views make up the lion's share of their revenue. If they found that twitch prime subs and content creator swag sales (shirts, peripherals, etc.) rendered ad revenue obsolete I'm sure they'd be a lot more lax with what people are doing on their platform. That doesn't seem very plausible though, and when behavior guidelines get drawn up they typically don't get walked back.

I'm not the biggest fan of censoring shit, and I do think that if left alone the problem would usually sort itself out through viewership decline. I do see where twitch is coming from, though I'd much rather they use advisories or some other method of quarantining jackass streamers instead of outright banning behavior.

i was thinking of people who feel the need to throw around rocks, bike locks, and other childish activity.

QZHlLsJ.gif

oh, and... you seemed to not understand the "trump 2016" "hate speech." it sounds like a joke because it's so ludicrous, but i was completely serious.

Those people as well. Of course it's hard to throw a rock through Twitch.

ITT: people thinking that free speech only refers to the first amendment.

Mainly that is what it is. Protection against government arrest for speech. It is not protection from consequences.

I thought Twitch already had filters for blacklisted words? I'm pretty sure I've seen people complain about their similar but benign comments getting caught accidentally.

Personally I'm not a fan of censorship but it's a private company so they can enforce whatever TOS they want.
There's a feature called automod that does that, but hardly anyone uses it because it's crap. I've only experienced it once or twice a while back. I used to get prompted to try it on my channel, but I never used it and it hasn't come up at all for the longest time.

Those people as well. Of course it's hard to throw a rock through Twitch.

i'm not sure how you appear to be unaware of the relevance to that. "those people" are largely behind the push for all this "hate speech" nonsense.

Mainly that is what it is. Protection against government arrest for speech. It is not protection from consequences.

...gee... thanks, captain obvious. for like the 5th time, "free speech" =/= 1a. "free speech" is a concept and it's much broader than the first amendment. herp derp.

thanks for STILL trying to make this about the 1A, in what is now a multipage strawman.

Lol @ still raging over the imaginary slippery slope that is Twitch saying they're going to crack down on shitheads harassing people during streams and on social media.

"Muh freedom!"

Streamers make enough money and seem generally annoyed by YouTube and Twitch policies that I'm surprised a business savvy investor with a lot of cash hasn't brought enough content creators together to launch their own streaming platform. Just the inconsistency in policy enough between twitch and YouTube has plenty of streamers angry, upset, or confused about what they can/can't say/do.

I believe only a small handful are actually "company streamers" and get paid directly(or have the 'privilege' to keep majority revenue) by Twitch or YouTube so contractual agreements shouldn't be much of an issue.

Streamers make enough money and seem generally annoyed by YouTube and Twitch policies that I'm surprised a business savvy investor with a lot of cash hasn't brought enough content creators together to launch their own streaming platform. Just the inconsistency in policy enough between twitch and YouTube has plenty of streamers angry, upset, or confused about what they can/can't say/do.

I believe only a small handful are actually "company streamers" and get paid directly(or have the 'privilege' to keep majority revenue) by Twitch or YouTube so contractual agreements shouldn't be much of an issue.
Linus Tech Tips, a pc gamer tech channel, is working on their own platform.
It hasn't been made public yet. But they are hosting their own videos and posting them on their forum.
The video quality difference is crazy. Linus Tech Tips 480p videos look better than youtubes 1080p.
So far they've been using it as early access and some behind the scenes stuff that doesn't go on YT.
They've got another person in the same genre, Bitwit, signed up.
From the way it sounds, a Cody's Lab agreement should come out soon.

change in policy probably in response to streamer, Brittany Venti. A week back or so she had a stream were she was demonstrating African cooking. Supposedly event was filled with racist stereotype stuff, rather than real demonstration and education of African type food. People got pissed and reported her, and she was shut down, briefly. Venti countered by showing her dna break down that listed her as 30sum percent sub saharan african, therefore giving her the right to practice her heritage. This and probably a few other random knuckleheads caused the new policy.

uh.....what?

Linus Tech Tips, a pc gamer tech channel, is working on their own platform.
It hasn't been made public yet. But they are hosting their own videos and posting them on their forum.
The video quality difference is crazy. Linus Tech Tips 480p videos look better than youtubes 1080p.
So far they've been using it as early access and some behind the scenes stuff that doesn't go on YT.
They've got another person in the same genre, Bitwit, signed up.
From the way it sounds, a Cody's Lab agreement should come out soon.
What's their plan for handling traffic? Especially live streaming? Storage of all the data?

This is where Google(YouTube) and Amazon(Twitch) are light years ahead in. Especially Amazon with their Amazon Web Services division.

What's their plan for handling traffic? Especially live streaming? Storage of all the data?

This is where Google(YouTube) and Amazon(Twitch) are light years ahead in. Especially Amazon with their Amazon Web Services division.
No clue.

Hitbox has a decent streaming platform but no traffic. Sometimes when Twitch goes down I check it out to see if there is a rush of new viewers but it doesn't seem like it's much of a substitute. At least not yet anyway.

Lol @ still raging over the imaginary slippery slope that is Twitch saying they're going to crack down on shitheads harassing people during streams and on social media.

"Muh freedom!"

...says the one that wanted examples of people already being banned by something that didn't go into effect yet.

with the amount of evasion you've done, i don't know why you keep posting. it's not like you're even doing a satisfactory troll job.

...says the one that wanted examples of people already being banned by something that didn't go into effect yet.

with the amount of evasion you've done, i don't know why you keep posting. it's not like you're even doing a satisfactory troll job.
Then why the fuck did you use it as an example if it hadn't happened? LOL

Then why the fuck did you use it as an example if it hadn't happened? LOL

10/10 failtroll.

i didn't.

i used it as an example of the same thing happening at similar sites/institutions. hence, even naming some sites and colleges. reading is haaaaaaaaaard.

10/10 failtroll.

i didn't.

i used it as an example of the same thing happening at similar sites/institutions. hence, even naming some sites and colleges. reading is haaaaaaaaaard.
Nah, you made up imaginary scenarios that really had nothing to do with the topic at hand to try and push your slippery slope bullshit.

"It starts with them saying they want to crack down on titty streamers and trolls who harass people outside of Twitch and before you know it people are being banned for supporting Trump!"

It's fucking laughable.

umm...

so things that already happened are totally not going to happen because this is so totalllllly different. there's no way it's going to be similar! /s

Back