Twins Special Medium Thai Pads (New Design)

Ryukyu Damashi

Ryukyu Damashi
@Brown
Reaction score
On my latest trip to Thailand, I picked up a pair of Twins Special Thai pads from the Twins shop at Lumpinee. These are a slightly new design with 4 air vents, two on top and two on the bottom. I asked the people at the shop what the vents were for, they said so air can get out...well no shit :)

I have held these for about 20 rounds on these so far, so they are not even close to being broken in yet.

Pros:
The handle has a great curve and is very strong.
Nice dense padding. Even though these are mediums, I can hold for the hardest kickers.
Light enough for fast combos.
Outstanding quality. They will last for ever.

Cons:
The arm straps are kind of short. I wish I would have bought buckled pads, but they only had velcro in red and black.
The velcro is not as tacky as I would like. I will likely tape these closed and slip my hands through the straps.
The metal vents on the top edge prevent me from punching people in the face with the pad when they drop their hands because I am worried I might cut them.
Long break in period. Not sure if this is a bad thing. The padding is very dense.

0309faac.jpg

e90d7886.jpg

991dd2c2.jpg

Cool.

I've never seen a vent like that before. Interesting. Do you feel it makes any difference?

I've heard Twins are, generally speaking, a bit heavier than most others. Do you find this to be true with these ones (I assume you've used the others before)?

They are fairly small pads, so the weight isn't something that I noticed. But I did have a pair of large Twins a few years ago and they were heavy as hell. I held a pair of XL Twins in the shop and they were crazy heavy.

I asked the people at the shop what the vents were for, they said so air can get out...well no shit :)

^ Ha! That's funny. :icon_lol: The first photo looks like a visual size comparasion of the medium and large size. Roughly, what are the dimensions of each? Nice review. Thanks.

Ps.
Edit: Never mind the sizes. This is what I found for the Twins:

Medium - 14.5" X 7.5" X 3.5"
Large - 16" X 8" X 4"
X-Large - 17" X 9" X 4.5"

:icon_chee

Last edited:
Vents seem pretty pointless. It's not like the regular pads were airtight or that the insides need cooling. In fact, the insides would probably wear faster now.

Vents seem pretty pointless...
Maybe when the pads get old, the foam particles will shoot out of the vents, rather than the seams. That could be fun -- you might be able to aim them.

Vents seem pretty pointless. It's not like the regular pads were airtight or that the insides need cooling. In fact, the insides would probably wear faster now.

Yeah, I think they are pointless also.

The only dawback I have with Twins Thai pads is they're a bit on the heavy side

after i wear out my boons..im sure itll be a few years, im lookin to replace em with pads with a STRONG handle as the mushy handle is the boons only draw backs, that and the fact that they are buckle. i hear great things about boon velcro

I just bought a pair of medium Twins pads from Title Boxing Wholesale and they also have the air vents in the top. They seem to be packed a bit thicker than the pair I bought from the Lumpinee Twins shop.

So I just purchased the twins curved thai pads. Medium sized, very heavy and how long is the break in? Because I've done about 15-20 and it feels brand new still..

Back