TWIBJJ 85 with Geo Martinez

Is Geo now the best 10th planet black belt?

I think so.

Isn't Adam the blue belt who won the trials a while back and then got injured? Or is that Orchard?

Brown belt, but yeah. That was Adam. Luckily, they honored his win and gave him an invite to participate this year.

Orchard was pity grappled by his own teammate Denny and beat by a bluebelt in Chicago. He hasn't won trials.

Pity grappled? Eh. I don't see it that way. To be honest, I think Denny played the rules. And he got beaten by a blue who also played the rules. The kid basically played keep away to get the "win." A loss is a loss whether you're playing pick up or full court pro ball, but even a kid could beat Lebron in a game of HORSE if they're good at HORSE. So yeah, Nate lost, but I don't consider it a proper loss.

The Truth is that I absolutely LOVE and RESPECT NATHAN ORCHARD to death and I DID NOT TRY TO TAP HIM in regulation. All I wanted was to WIN and NOT TAP HIM and that's what happened

That's working the rules?

Ijust would have rather not publicly executed him.

Pretty much the definition of pity grappling, if it were to be defined

Wow. That's not how I saw it. It looked like Denny was actually going for it. But that's douchey as hell to say that. If it's true, it's douchey. A couple 10th planet guys tapped each other. Tonon beat Cummings. So why have "pity?" And if he's lying (which I think he is), it's douchey to pretend that you're really that far ahead of him so you were just going easy on him. Loss of respect for that guy.

Link to interview though?

Wow. That's not how I saw it. It looked like Denny was actually going for it. But that's douchey as hell to say that. If it's true, it's douchey. A couple 10th planet guys tapped each other. Tonon beat Cummings. So why have "pity?" And if he's lying (which I think he is), it's douchey to pretend that you're really that far ahead of him so you were just going easy on him. Loss of respect for that guy.

Link to interview though?

It was in a thread on the 10th Planet forum.

http://www.10thplanetjj.com/threads/20079-Denny-Prokopos-Vs-Nathan-Orchard-EBI-2-Finals/page2

Pity grappled? Eh. I don't see it that way. To be honest, I think Denny played the rules. And he got beaten by a blue who also played the rules. The kid basically played keep away to get the "win." A loss is a loss whether you're playing pick up or full court pro ball, but even a kid could beat Lebron in a game of HORSE if they're good at HORSE. So yeah, Nate lost, but I don't consider it a proper loss.

Come on man, this is exactly the type of apologist BS that people complain about with 10th Planet. Lebron James would NEVER lose in a game of HORSE to some high school kid. Just admit what's obvious to the rest of us-- that some random 10th Planet guy is not nearly as good as the hype he receives from his coach, who is well-known for hype and hyperbole.

Come on man, this is exactly the type of apologist BS that people complain about with 10th Planet. Lebron James would NEVER lose in a game of HORSE to some high school kid. Just admit what's obvious to the rest of us-- that some random 10th Planet guy is not nearly as good as the hype he receives from his coach, who is well-known for hype and hyperbole.

I think we play HORSE differently. HORSE isn't so much a game of skill as much as it's "do what I do." Some trick shot guy can beat Lebron.

Regardless, watch the match between that blue belt and Orchard though. Tell me that he "beat" Orchard. He beat him by the rules. But he didn't beat him. The man is clearly better than a blue belt considering that he's beaten plenty of guys in his tournament career well above blue belt. He lost a match due to rules gaming. He is as good as his career shows. Even Rickson Gracie sang his praises. If you doubt it, go grapple him yourself. You're complaining about apologist BS yet propagating hater BS. Stop it. Be objective.

I think we play HORSE differently. HORSE isn't so much a game of skill as much as it's "do what I do." Some trick shot guy can beat Lebron.

Regardless, watch the match between that blue belt and Orchard though. Tell me that he "beat" Orchard. He beat him by the rules. But he didn't beat him. The man is clearly better than a blue belt considering that he's beaten plenty of guys in his tournament career well above blue belt. He lost a match due to rules gaming. He is as good as his career shows. Even Rickson Gracie sang his praises. If you doubt it, go grapple him yourself. You're complaining about apologist BS yet propagating hater BS. Stop it. Be objective.

That blue belt took him down, passed his guard and almost darced him and Nathan didn't do anything in that match. You're the one who needs to be objective.

So instead of a "public execution," I'm just going to go on a message board and say that I toyed with you. Yeah, that's definitely better.

Can't say anything bad about Geo's grappling or credentials, however ask anybody in the b-boy scene and they will tell you that the guy is a total prick. When I used to run with Kaba Modern, Freakahzoid and his crew would routinely disrespect others performances and always pick fights since he had the rep of a badass grappler. Saw him once break up somebody's routine by jumping on his back and choking him.

Is this what we're talking about here? Pretty embarrassing TBH

Can't say anything bad about Geo's grappling or credentials, however ask anybody in the b-boy scene and they will tell you that the guy is a total prick. When I used to run with Kaba Modern, Freakahzoid and his crew would routinely disrespect others performances and always pick fights since he had the rep of a badass grappler. Saw him once break up somebody's routine by jumping on his back and choking him.

I don't know anything about the b-boy scene or if fights are common but attacking someone while they're in the middle of dancing seems pretty pathetic(and in a way pretty funny too)

I don't know anything about the b-boy scene or if fights are common but attacking someone while they're in the middle of dancing seems pretty pathetic(and in a way pretty funny too)

It happens, but is not very commonplace especially while somebody is in the middle of a routine.

Insulting each other through the medium of dance is quite quaint

Insulting each other through the medium of dance is quite quaint

It may not be everybody's cup of tea, but attacking people because they lost a dance battle is utter bs. Frekahzoid and his crew are notorious for this.

That blue belt took him down, passed his guard and almost darced him and Nathan didn't do anything in that match. You're the one who needs to be objective.

This.

Bones is a beast and he trains full time at UnityBJJ now iirc. If Nathan is so good at submission grappling then he should have submitted the blue belt.

I don't know man, if there's somebody who you could argue is a "trick shot guy," it would be Orchard, would it not?

Back