twang goes the hammy

Vergilius

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Been training outside for the past few months, just got back inside, an hour into training and I'm feeling pretty good. First round of free sparring and *twang* goes my right calf and I'm done.

Never had this injury before 2020, but got it in February - healed up - did exercises to strengthen the calf (which already should be pretty frickin' strong), but now it's happened again. I guess it's due to going inside and upping the intensity to quickly, but it was just never a problem before this joke of a year.

Two questions:
1) do compression sleeves do anything to prevent injury? Lots of guys wear them during exercise, but is it worth it?
2) any recommended exercises to prevent this from recurring in the future?

What were you doing at the time? And did your calf pop?

I was light sparring (I'm a karate stylist, so we jump around a lot, putting stress on the lower right leg especially because the weight generally rests there). I didn't feel a pop, just immediate pain and stiffness, like someone inserted a metal blade in the calf.

It's not a bad one, I think, I can walk around this morning with only a slight limp, but I'm pretty concerned about this becoming recurring, as plenty of pro athletes have had their careers ruined by recurring hamstring injuries.

I was light sparring (I'm a karate stylist, so we jump around a lot, putting stress on the lower right leg especially because the weight generally rests there). I didn't feel a pop, just immediate pain and stiffness, like someone inserted a metal blade in the calf.

It's not a bad one, I think, I can walk around this morning with only a slight limp, but I'm pretty concerned about this becoming recurring, as plenty of pro athletes have had their careers ruined by recurring hamstring injuries.
When it gets better, start stretching it lightly. Don't overdo it.

As it heals you can stretch the calf more. If you have stairs nearby, stand one leg on the edge of the step. You can lean various angles from there. This will increase the ankle mobility and stretch the tissue and muscle behind your lower leg.

Gaining mobility in the ankles can protect the hamstrings as well. It allows the glutes to do their work instead of hamstrings trying to compensate and do more than they should.

Yeah hopping around a lot can make the calves tight the next day for sure.

Sorta related, strong abdominals also help protect hamstrings as well.

I hope you get back fully soon. Better to be patient sometimes with injuries.

Could be imbalanced thigh muscles, hip, lumbar or core weaknesses.

Do you squat etc?

Did you hurt your calf or your hamstring?!

Back