Locked TV Show Thread 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
This show is great. Didn’t know you were an anime fan. Any anime’s you’d recommend?
I'm not really a big anime fan or anything right now, so my recommendations are all very dated (and run-of-the-mill) like Evangelion, Berserk, My Hero Academia.

Starz Cancels COUNTERPART After Season 2 (Booo!)

Counterpart is dead at Starz. Creator Justin Marks announced Monday on his verified Twitter account that the premium cable network has opted to cancel the drama starring J.K. Simmons after two seasons. The news comes ahead of Sunday's season two finale, which will now serve as a series finale should another outlet not pick up the Media Rights Capital-produced drama.

"It's been an absolute dream for this team … we got to make exactly the show we wanted to … perfect cast, perfect crew on two continents … and we're so grateful to our network for the time we had," Marks wrote. "Thank you to everyone who made this journey so special for us. Your tweets, podcasts and intricate conspiracy theories have made it all worthwhile. Fingers crossed that our wonderful studio, MRC, can find a way to keep the dream alive!"

Picked up straight to series with a two-season order, the options on the cast expired last year but earned a brief extension to Feb. 1 as the cabler waited to see MRC could find a new home for the series elsewhere. The cancellation arrives as Starz CEO Chris Albrecht is exiting the cabler as Lionsgate leadership takes an increased role in the network.

While a critical breakout with a cult following, the series was unable to connect with a larger audience, generating an average of under 500,000 total viewers with three days of delayed viewing. As Starz continues to double down on Lionsgate-produced content now that the latter is the cabler's parent company, Counterpart's status as a show from an outside studio with a pricey licensing fee and cast likely contributed to the cancellation.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/counterpart-canceled-at-starz-1185316

I'm not really a big anime fan or anything right now, so my recommendations are all very dated (and run-of-the-mill) like Evangelion, Berserk, My Hero Academia.

MHAcademia deserves all the praise it gets. Big fan of Beserk as well

MHAcademia deserves all the praise it gets. Big fan of Beserk as well
For non-anime cartoons, I would recommend TMNT (2012-2017), Trollhunters, Voltron: Legendary Defender and The Dragon Prince. My favorite of all-time is Avatar: The Last Airbender but I think everybody knows it or has seen it by now.

dragon-prince-netflix-1121557.jpeg

Gonna try out Gen:Lock next. Looks very interesting and right up in my alley.

A few new shows I got a chance to try out:

Wayne - It's like an American version of British dark comedy drama "The End of the F***ing World". I like Wayne more because the main characters are a bit more likable. Halfway through and I really like it.

Lifeline - I'm always up for sci-fi concepts and this one sounds interesting. A life insurance firm will send an agent one month to the future to save their clients' lives. Tried the first episode and it was okay. Going to try a few more episodes.

Russian Doll - Groundhog day premise where the female lead keeps on dying and she gets to restart everything at the night of a party. It's ok but the female lead is a bit unlikable and annoying. However, I am ragewatching at the first 3 episodes because this dumb broad thinks her situation is related to the recreational drug that she took. And I sorta want to punch all the hipsters in the show.

Hanna - Adapted from the movie starring Saoirse Ronan, the TV series stars Joel Kinnaman. Pretty good first episode. The show reunites Kinnaman with his Killing co-star Mireille Enos.

The Masked Singer - I'm proud to say I guessed correctly two of the mystery singers.

The World's Best - This is like America's Got Talent. So yeah, I'm in.

The Titan Games - Hosted by Dwayne Johnson, this show is my stand-in before the new season of American Ninja Warrior starts.

A few new shows I got a chance to try out:

Wayne - It's like an American version of British dark comedy drama "The End of the F***ing World". I like Wayne more because the main characters are a bit more likable. Halfway through and I really like it.

Lifeline - I'm always up for sci-fi concepts and this one sounds interesting. A life insurance firm will send an agent one month to the future to save their clients' lives. Tried the first episode and it was okay. Going to try a few more episodes.

Russian Doll - Groundhog day premise where the female lead keeps on dying and she gets to restart everything at the night of a party. It's ok but the female lead is a bit unlikable and annoying. However, I am ragewatching at the first 3 episodes because this dumb broad thinks her situation is related to the recreational drug that she took. And I sorta want to punch all the hipsters in the show.

Hanna - Adapted from the movie starring Saoirse Ronan, the TV series stars Joel Kinnaman. Pretty good first episode. The show reunites Kinnaman with his Killing co-star Mireille Enos.

The Masked Singer - I'm proud to say I guessed correctly two of the mystery singers.

The World's Best - This is like America's Got Talent. So yeah, I'm in.

The Titan Games - Hosted by Dwayne Johnson, this show is my stand-in before the new season of American Ninja Warrior starts.

Looks like a lot of interesting stuff. I finished Wayne and I liked it a lot, although some sequences struck me as a bit low budget and corny. That said, I really enjoyed the series.

I've been trying something new lately. I'm not watching any current shows, and re-watching Galactica, until enough new shows pile up and I can binge them. We'll see how long I can hold out.

what the fuck is up with nick cannon? always hated him. first he comes out on the masked singer with that stupid hair. now he wears that turban thing and appears to be slowly evolving into an old woman with his clothes and appearance

Finally started Person of Interest. Into Season 3 when something "catastrophic" happened to Detective Carter. Really like show. Snuck up on me.

what the fuck is up with nick cannon? always hated him. first he comes out on the masked singer with that stupid hair. now he wears that turban thing and appears to be slowly evolving into an old woman with his clothes and appearance
I'm not a Nick Cannon fan or hater but yeah the turban was a bit odd. Felt like he was playing a magician or something.

Finally started Person of Interest. Into Season 3 when something "catastrophic" happened to Detective Carter. Really like show. Snuck up on me.
Person of Interest first 3 seasons were the absolute best, especially season 2. Sorry to tell you that it steadily goes downhill on season 4 and it gets worse on season 5.

THE PUNISHER and JESSICA JONES Cancelled as Netflix Completes Marvel Purge

uploads%252Fcard%252Fimage%252F936173%252F4457d22e-abf4-42e7-998a-3c4e82cfcf5c.jpg%252F950x534__filters%253Aquality%252890%2529.jpg

And then there were none: Netflix has severed ties with Marvel TV by canceling Jessica Jones and The Punisher. The cancellations follow the previous axing of Daredevil, Iron Fistand Luke Cage and team-up miniseries The Defenders.

The third season of Jessica Jones, which has finished production, will still air (a date hasn't been set yet), but that will be the swan song for the Marvel shows on Netflix, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. Creator and showrunner Melissa Rosenberg left the series after season three wrapped for an overall deal at Warner Bros. TV; a new showrunner hadn't been named in the wake of her departure.

"Marvel's The Punisher will not return for a third season on Netflix," the streamer said in a statement. "Showrunner Steve Lightfoot, the terrific crew, and exceptional cast including star Jon Bernthal, delivered an acclaimed and compelling series for fans, and we are proud to showcase their work on Netflix for years to come.

"In addition, in reviewing our Marvel programming, we have decided that the upcoming third season will also be the final season for Marvel’s Jessica Jones. We are grateful to showrunner Melissa Rosenberg, star Krysten Ritter and the entire cast and crew for three incredible seasons of this groundbreaking series, which was recognized by the Peabody Awards among many others. We are grateful to Marvel for five years of our fruitful partnership and thank the passionate fans who have followed these series from the beginning."

Netflix announced its partnership with Marvel to much fanfare in 2013, committing to four ongoing shows plus The Defenders. After Frank Castle (Bernthal) appeared in season two of Daredevil, The Punisher spun off into its own series.

The cuts started in October 2018 with the cancellation of Iron Fist, which had earned the least critical praise among the Marvel shows. Luke Cage followed a week after that, and Daredevil was canceled in late November, about six weeks after its third season debuted.

Sources told THR that Netflix didn't want to hold back the Jessica Jones cast from seeking other work when the company was confident the third season would be the last for the show.

The wave of cancellations comes as Marvel parent company Disney will launch its Netflix rival streaming service — Disney+ — in late 2019. The subscription video-on-demand platform will feature some of Marvel's biggest box office stars (including Tom Hiddleston) reprising their roles in TV spinoffs, in addition to new scripted live-action Star Wars series and offshoots of other Disney-owned IP.

Despite the Netflix cancellations, Disney+ chairman Kevin Mayer told THR that it's a possibility the "high-quality shows" could be revived on the forthcoming platform.

For his part, The Punisher star Bernthal told THR that "there will be more Frank Castle one way or the other," in a reference perhaps to the show's future on Disney+ or seeing the decades-old beloved character best known as The Punisher live on in other forms.

Marvel TV head Jeph Loeb offered similar sentiments in a statement Monday after the cancellations of Jessica Jones and The Punisher.

"On behalf of everyone at Marvel Television, we couldn't be more proud or more grateful to our audience," he said. "Our network partner may have decided they no longer want to continue telling the tales of these great characters — but you know Marvel better than that. As Matthew Murdock's dad once said, 'The measure of a man is not how he gets knocked to the mat, it's how he gets back up. To be continued."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...led-as-netflix-completes-marvel-purge-1187567

Avatar is legitimately one of the best animate shows I've ever seen.

Legend of Korra wasn't quite as good, and stumbled a bit in the first season, but it really hit it's stride in the second and third seasons.

Seriously, someone tell me about Titans.

I was reading ITT something along the lines that it's actually good? Was that fake news? I have the first season ready to go, but I'm hesitating to pull the trigger.

I don't dare pitch a show to the wife unless I'm sure it's going to be a hit with us.

Seriously, someone tell me about Titans.

I was reading ITT something along the lines that it's actually good? Was that fake news? I have the first season ready to go, but I'm hesitating to pull the trigger.

I don't dare pitch a show to the wife unless I'm sure it's going to be a hit with us.
Titans is pretty good actually. Though it's a bit try-hard (trying hard to be edgy), but it is entertaining. Even though I make fun of Hookerfire's casting and look, she's the best character among the four leads. Just don't expect it to be same as the Teen Titans comics or animated shows.

Doom Patrol is even better. But it's just one episode, so we'll see if it can maintain the quality throughout the first season. But I'm optimistic it will.

I'm on the last episode of Kingdom. It's great but then I gotta wait for season 2. For that reason I'll probably watch a mini-series next. Safe or Lawless most likely as they've both been in my Netflix list for a bit. I'm waiting until True Detective is finished to binge too.

Sharp Objects was amazing. On a level with True Detective S1 for me. It's weird that there was no real hype around that show. It really flew under a lot of peoples radar

I watched it expecting something great but it fell flat to me. I did like the end but it was nowhere near True Detective for me. Still really good acting I guess I didn't like the pacing or something I don't really know what it was.

I'm on the last episode of Kingdom. It's great but then I gotta wait for season 2. For that reason I'll probably watch a mini-series next. Safe or Lawless most likely as they've both been in my Netflix list for a bit. I'm waiting until True Detective is finished to binge too.
I like Kingdom as well. I like the plot twist at the end where they shockingly discovered that
the daytime didn't force the zombies into hibernation but it was the heat from the sun. Now that winter has come, the zombies can walk (run) in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back