Turtling up, and facing away =/= Defending

I thought it could have went a little longer, wouldn't have made any difference in the outcome though. Dan M was awful tonight.

See, if it "wouldn't have made any difference" then what the fuck is the point of letting it go on for longer and causing more brain damage? A lot of people say this and I don't fucking get it. Bisping was not going to get back up, he was standing still, holding his face. It was over.

TS is right, that was not "intelligently defending." I think most people see it this way. Most likely ery few people consider this an early stoppage

That's Bisping, Mr. Respect and Class. :redface:

Just cause he admits he got smashed doesn't excuse all this other insulting, laughable behavior.

You know, the fighters have to sell a fight. It's part of their job in a way. Bisping and Vitor had this thing heated up a lot more than it may have been otherwise. But from the time they stepped into the cage until they left, they seemed very respectful of each other. Even a little high five as Vitor did his initial jog around the ring.

So actually, Bisping's straightforward, humble interview does excuse a lot of the previous banter, because it shows a more accurate picture of how the fighters feel about each other.

Either way, props to Bisping for fighting a good fight.

Turtleing in a ball kind of stops all shots...but it is anything but intelligent or confidence inspiring in the continuation department lol.

Unless you're recovering and waiting for an opening to do something...

If he'd been moving to guard, or trying to grab a leg...anything, you might have a point.

The only thing he did was tighten his arms around his head a little tighter and curl into a smaller ball.

...not even close to what you are describing.

If he'd been moving to guard, or trying to grab a leg...anything, you might have a point.

The only thing he did was tighten his arms around his head a little tighter and curl into a smaller ball.

What I was describing was blocking punches. Which is what Bisping was doing.

What you were describing was moving to guard, which is not the only form of defending yourself.

Apparently when you get rocked or dropped, you're not allowed to recover. As long as the guy is throwing strikes at you, the fight is over.

Fighters are told specifically by referees during the fighter's meeting that if they turtle up and turn their back the fight will be stopped. If you ever see a fighter in that position and they remain in it after a refs warning it either means;

A) the fighter is done and cant recover.
B) the fighter wants out.

Bisping it was B.

All fighters know what happens if they turtle and turn.

This, almost all fighter knows if you turtle for more than couple seconds after getting knocked down, its going to get stopped

Really? Did it look identical to the stoppage that just happened?

Ask yourself that, friend.

They both turtled and faced away no? Isn't that your criteria for what should constitute a stoppage?

Apparently when you get rocked or dropped, you're not allowed to recover. As long as the guy is throwing strikes at you, the fight is over.

...errr, yes this is standard practice in MMA.

Actually turtling is defending yourself, laying flat on your back with your arms at your side is not. I have seen many fights where a fighter turtles for 5,10,15 seconds, enough time to recover and fight on. Perhaps Vitor would have still won, perhaps not. No use in speculating now.

How is blocking shots "no defense"?

It was intelligent defense and he sure as hell wasn't fighting back. Curling up in the fetal position is pretty much saying to the ref "please top it"

grabbing your opponents ankle and turtling =/= defending either.

refs should stop fights when guys do that too.

It was intelligent defense and he sure as hell wasn't fighting back. Curling up in the fetal position is pretty much saying to the ref "please top it"

Exactly. it either means the fighter is done or wants out.
Bisping however was done.

Exactly what I said in pbp thread TS. Sherdog gonna Sherdog though

It's pretty unanimous that it was a good stop. That commentator needs to go.

Back