Turtle position?

Say you are behind him when he's in the turtle posistion, put your right arm under his chin on his right side of face and then grab your right hand with your left. It should harness from his right side of neck to under his left arm. From here, you can either tug him up and back then just fall into a RNC or you can roll him onto his head and to a side: from here, just side control or whatever you feel best with.

One turnover I like is when he turtles, you go to the side and keep your weight on him( say his rite).wWth your rite arm, reach under his armpit and grab his wrist. Keeping your weight on him, drive your forearm into his tricep, hard. If done properly this should cause him some pain and his hips will rise slightly and forward to ease it. Keeping your weight on his front rite quarter and driving down hard still with the forearm reach around under his crotch with your left. Grab his crotch hard and lift him over his front rite quarter keeping him close to you tite. Don't let go of his arm. Keep it in tite to you. It's yours. As he rolls over, ride or drive your body up his. You have to keep stuck to him. there you will have side control and his arm in your control for easy sub. If you don't keep him tite, at least you turned him and can face off again.

IMO, the turtle is a very, very underrated position in mma. It is far better than being mounted and there are too many mounts happening. A good judoka is excellent at defending in turtle position and in mma they wont give the bjjer 6 min to get thru. Havent seen the turtle get smoked in mma yet and have actually seen it as a decent last resort defense. Nak used it well vs Vov.

Q mystic said:
One turnover I like is when he turtles, you go to the side and keep your weight on him( say his rite).wWth your rite arm, reach under his armpit and grab his wrist. Keeping your weight on him, drive your forearm into his tricep, hard. If done properly this should cause him some pain and his hips will rise slightly and forward to ease it. Keeping your weight on his front rite quarter and driving down hard still with the forearm reach around under his crotch with your left. Grab his crotch hard and lift him over his front rite quarter keeping him close to you tite. Don't let go of his arm. Keep it in tite to you. It's yours. As he rolls over, ride or drive your body up his. You have to keep stuck to him. there you will have side control and his arm in your control for easy sub. If you don't keep him tite, at least you turned him and can face off again.

IMO, the turtle is a very, very underrated position in mma. It is far better than being mounted and there are too many mounts happening. A good judoka is excellent at defending in turtle position and in mma they wont give the bjjer 6 min to get thru. Havent seen the turtle get smoked in mma yet and have actually seen it as a decent last resort defense. Nak used it well vs Vov.

^^^^
Sorry, when you reach around for the crotch lift, you reach around as in back over his tail bone.

Enron Exec. said:
I forget who the guy is but theres a great Instructional for turtle. I think its Marcelo Garcia. Turtle is a very underated position. Its part of my game for sure

The guy's name is Josh Russell. He's a gracie barra BB and is known for his turtle. Great instructional you can get at OnTheMat

Big Red said:
I hate this with my instructor, I try so hard to attack him yet his defense & counters are too good.
He's your instructor. I would hope his defense and counters are good.

sakufan said:
Marcelo Garcia doesn't specialize in the turtle position. Eduardo Telles does.
Maybe he was talking about attacking the turtle... You know... attacking turtle = taking the back...

First I just want to say that the turtle as a defensive position is good only if elbows to the spine aren't allowed. Out of principle I only do it in order to stand up right away or possibly if I get an oppurtunity to flip or sub my opponent right away. When you attack a turtle you should try to take his back and get the hooks in right away. Underhooking his arms, grabbing his wrists and flipping forward to turn him over and get the hooks is good. If he resists it by lying down on his stomach, you just flip back backwards again and take the hooks the regular way. If you only get one hook, you could also turn to your side and figure four your legs around his kneepit and grab his foot for a calf slicer. Clock choke may be hard to do if your not wearing a gi, but you could still go for a crucifix and turn him over. You could also put him in a quarter nelson (basic wrestling hold, look it up) and turn him over on his back using that. To resist the nelson, he must lift his chin which leaves him open for a guillotine choke.

Has anyone ever bought that video on the turtle position thats avialbe in the sherdog store? I was wondering how appropriate it is for lower levels likee a blue belt to be trying to learn that stuff.

dutchmasterj3 said:
Has anyone ever bought that video on the turtle position thats avialbe in the sherdog store? I was wondering how appropriate it is for lower levels likee a blue belt to be trying to learn that stuff.
I've seen it and it's awesome. I'm a blue belt, BTW!

If he's very good at defending the RNC or uses you getting your hooks in to reverse you then adjust. I used to roll with a guy who was GREAT at defending RNC, and I gave up trying to take his back.

If he's in turtle, lay cross him in side control. Now come across underneath his face either overhooking his arm on your side or going underneath it. You can actually get in a pretty nasty neck crank if you slide your forearm through his cheek and jawbone area and grip his opposite arm hard keeping his face forced sideways. Now reach around his ass with your other arm and grip his opposite ankle with an over-grip. Now using the two handles (his ankle and triceps) just power into him and roll him onto his side right into sidemount with good control.

try using putting crab hooks in.....that is, hooks with your feet on his ankles, your left on his left and right on his right, with your feet facing out away from the sides of his body. use those to spread him out and flatten him out, or make room to put in your regular hooks

Back