Turning your hands down when punching?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by USAMMAFAN, Jan 9, 2006.

1. USAMMAFAN

USAMMAFAN Proud member of the "Reality based community"

I see some boxers advocating rotating your hands down to a palms down position on jabs, straight rights and hooks, and other (bas rutten) for instance saying its not necessary.

Does it really matter either way?

I personally think its easier to slip thru their defense if you keep your palm turned towards the inside of your body versus the floor, however i mix up my punches and do both (palms down and palms to the inside)

2. Gregster

Gregster Black Belt

Like a lot of things, I thinks it's a matter of personal preference. I rotate my hands because I find it brings my first two knuckles into position when landing the blow while keeping my other three (the ones you don't want to connect with) from doing so.

3. USAMMAFAN

thanks, good to see you dont hold our little war room spats against me, lmao :D

4. Sohei

Sohei A Smocking gun

I think the non-rotation punch would be easier to score with but the rotation might add a lil more power?

5. USAMMAFAN

yeah i was kinda of thinking the same thing

rotation to horizontal brings the shoulder into play more

holding the fist vertical makes it easier to slip past their defense (since their arms are also usually vertical)

6. CowboyPete

CowboyPete Green Belt

Personally, punching without rotation just feels weird to me. It seems awkward and I feel like I don't have any power in it.

7. Sohei

Sohei A Smocking gun

The vertical punch sounds more like a Kung-fu style punch. Ive never seen anyone outside Kung-fu punch like that.

8. Enemy of Evil

Enemy of Evil Banned Banned

I SHALL FEAR NO EVIL FOR I WALK WITH THE SWORD OF
    History of the rotating punch: it was used to help cut the opponents skin in the old days when they had no gloves. Also it generates more snap, or power by fully extinding and imanining you are going thru the opponent. All boxers do it this way, except Bas ruten for some reason. But dont listen to him, hes not a pro boxer.

9. CowboyPete

CowboyPete Green Belt

Bas Rutten has a TMA background with karate, tae kwan do and such. Sure he's not a pro boxer but I'm sure most pro boxer's records wouldn't be anywhere near as good as his in MMA. Do what works for you.

10. Rudy Richter

Rudy Richter Amateur Fighter

Bingo... when rotating your fists you pretty much are forced to turn your hips --> more body behind the punch ---> more POUUUUWAAAAAA!

11. Rudy Richter

Rudy Richter Amateur Fighter

One more thing to keep in mind: make sure the lead foot is front of head, and the rear foot is angled 45-90 outward. This gives you balance and power in your punches. Watch fighters, and you will notice that guys that square up too much can't punch worth of shit... they might be good wrestler and kickers, but not punchers.

12. Marvin Covar

Marvin Covar Amateur Fighter

as everyone else has already said, turning your hands generate more power.

13. Gregster

Gregster Black Belt

If I held those kinda grudges, who would I talk to? :D

14. k1 man

k1 man Guest

I think not rotating has a longer hook range

15. Gregster

Gregster Black Belt

Just now cooling off after a nice long session with the bag...I was reminded that yes indeed, rotating the fists does provide a bit of extra "snap" that helps convey force with speed.

16. falloutvomb

falloutvomb Yellow Belt

yes the not turn comes from more of a kung fu background, but they used thier legs to generate power , in my opinion once masterd has more power but is slower

turning over comes from boxing, this uses the upper bodies strength to genrate power, so i beleive it is less powerful but faster

i personally dont turn over accept for on my jabs but do what works and feels right for you

17. krait

krait Purple Belt

Depends on the punch. For a straight punch I don't feel any power diference in turning the hand over. I agree that I feel I can slip a few more through a defense because I wont graze my elbow or foreaarm coming in. But thats just for a straight. I actually feel more pwer in the straight punch by not turning my palm down. I can snap it out there and really get my shoulder behind it. But train JKD so there is the kung fu background there and we do use our legs and a slide step to get the power into the punch.

For an overhand or a cross I do turn the palm down though.

Do what works. I've tried them both ways and thats just what I feel works best for me.

18. TapSD

TapSD Killer Bee....1%

Also..rotating your hand actually helps open cuts

19. OpethDrums

OpethDrums Banned Banned

you get more power twisting your hand with straight punches. i like it. you need that integrity in your arm to transfer more energy from your hips and legs