Turning the corner...(longer read)

daninnashville

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'd like to get some advice from other grapplers out there about something bugging me. I went to my first no gi competition yesterday and got tooled in the first match. It was my fourth tournament overall and to be frank I'm feeling somewhat discouraged.

I've been training seriously for about nine months. I'm a three stripe white belt. Basically I just feel like I really underperform in the tournament setting and rather than be negative I want to turn this into a positive. I train hard for each competition but I still continue to lose. On average I'm attending at least four classes a week and doing a lot of outside conditioning.

I got into a bad position yesterday and realized I don't know a lot of half guard sweeps. So...clearly there are parts of my game I can tighten and improve. I'm eager to get better in every training session. But I feel like I'm getting dominated and it's certainly hurting my confidence some. In the gym I'm not the worst and I'm not the best. I feel like I'm a little towards the bottom due to inexperience but am getting better. We have fantastic partners and great teachers too. I can hold my own rolling with guys in my size range (5'9" and 195). I'm strong but wanting to drop some weight to be faster.

My coach says that at some point it will click and that he is really proud of me for going out there and testing myself in competition. I trust him and respect his opinion.
I still can't help but feeling a bit frustrated.

My questions...

1) When you are coming off a loss...what adjustments do you make mentally and in your training?

2) Is it normal to get dominnated in the first few tournaments as a beginner?

3) Do any of you come up with a specific training schedule to address weaker parts of your game?

4) How do you use your losses as a healthy motivation to get better?

I appreciate any feedback!
Dan

1) When you are coming off a loss...what adjustments do you make mentally and in your training?

You have pin pointed a weakness. Half guard, great, now what will you do mentally and physically to get better at it? Better yet, stick to a new game plan for the next 4 weeks.

I have lost the following matches to XYZ. I will study my ass off in XYZ for the next 1-3 months. I will learn (1 or 3) go to moves to feel comfortable in XYZ.

Use your loses and picture them as holes in your game. If serious about competition now is the time to fill in these holes, slowly ... but surely.

2) Is it normal to get dominated in the first few tournaments as a beginner?

Depends on the tournament size, depends on your school and what they prep you for. Depends on the type of tournament. You mentioned 'no gi competition'. No Gi will always be a high caliber tournament setting. With high weight classes and broad skill level divisions.

3) Do any of you come up with a specific training schedule to address weaker parts of your game?

It's hard to get on one, but if your serious about competition then its time to chalk up a calendar and or diary about your 'game' and then set goals to (monthly, bi monthly) to achieve results.

As for your size and weight, I would also heavily consider certain moves you do well and focus more energy on those. Your 5'9 , scaling 195. I take it your usually smaller then the tournament guys walking around at 195. Is dropping weight an option? eg 180's? or more. If serious about competition then any advantage is needed and the more weigh you dropped (if possible) the more muscle strength you'll have. Hopefully your cardio will stay strong as well.

You sound like a 'Winner', hey man we all want to win but we all lose too. Keep the head up, take a small break if you need to but overall keep your dedication and drive. You sound like you have a good drive, just keep it. Also if you want to be a winner at 'anything' in life its a LOT easier if you surrounded by them. If your school preps for tournaments then awesome, If not, then ask your instructor to create a competition team. If the gym/instructor doesn't prep and or believe in competitions then you may have to find a 2nd gym that does OR pay a higher belt 1:1 time.

Once again all depends on the situation :)

The above is my 2 cents and not by any means healthy advice. Just my personal input. hehe

I just figure out where I need work and try to fix the holes in my game. I don't really get too discouraged about losing. I don't like it at all, but I realize that it is almost impossible to win every single time. I just keep training hard and try to keep it fun.

2) Is it normal to get dominnated in the first few tournaments as a beginner?

You Have only been training for 9 months. Unless you are some freak of nature, you aren't going to be dominating everyone at every tournament you go to. I didn't medal or win more than one match for my first 6 tournaments. I think it had to do with my nerves. Now that I am getting somewhat used to competing, I have relaxed a lot and don't get crazy adrenaline spikes and I don't spaz out. I have been doing a lot better recently just because I relax and treat tournaments like training instead of a real fight. Keeping my composure has really helped my tournament performance.

If I'm having trouble with half guard, I will work half guard with my opponents in training until I am comfortable with it. If I am having trouble escaping half guard, I will have them pull half guard on me.

I analyze my losses to figure out where I went wrong and correct my mistakes. I believe that if you aren't losing from time to time, you aren't competing with the right people. Sometimes a loss can be the kick in the ass that you need to step up your game.

Back