Turkish Lawyers Demand Raid On Incirlik Air Base And Arrest Of U.S. Military Personnel

GhostZ06

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
A group of independent Turkish lawyers has petitioned the country’s courts to arrest nearly a dozen U.S. military personnel over alleged links to a coup attempt against President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan in 2016 and a leaked document purports to show that they were directly involved in planning the plot. These latest accusations again call into question whether it still makes sense for the U.S. government to store dozens of nuclear weapons at Incirlik Air Base in the country or even use that facility as a springboard for conventional military operations.

The Turkish legal non-governmental organization Association for Social Justice and Aid, which includes prominent backers of Erdoğan’s government and enjoys support from the country’s authorities, filed the charges with the Adana Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office on Aug. 3, 2018. The 60-page criminal complaint also calls for Turkish officials to shut down U.S. military flights from Incirlik, a portion of which the U.S. Air Force has sole control over, and execute a search warrant at the facility to look for additional evidence. So far, the Turkish government does not appear to have acted on any of the charges.
The charges claimed the Americans were “attempting to destroy the constitutional order [of Turkey], attempting to prevent partially or totally the Turkish government from exercising its authority and endangering the sovereignty of the Turkish state,” according to a translation by the Stockholm Center for Freedom, a group Turkish journalists operating in self-imposed exile in Sweden. As such, authorities needed to “arrest the commanders of the U.S Air Force who are the superiors of the soldiers based at Incirlik and took a role in the failed coup attempt on July 15, 2016.”

The complaint specifically calls for the arrest of 11 individuals, but it's not clear if any of them are still assigned to Incirlik. The first two are U.S. Air Force Colonels John Walker and Michael Manion, who were, respectively, the commander and vice commander of the 39th Air Base Wing at Incirlik in 2016.
It does look like they might have originally intended to seek the arrest of American personnel at the base now, though. U.S. Air Force Colonel David Eaglen was commander of the 39th Air Base Wing until July 10, 2018. But other current and former members of the U.S. military that the Association for Social Justice and Aid wants the Turkish government to detain were never there.

These include the present U.S. Central Command chief U.S. Army General Joseph Votel and Director of Regional Affairs for the Deputy Under Secretary of the Air Force U.S. Air Force Brigadier General Rick Boutwell. Now retired U.S. Army General John Campbell, who was last in charge of the NATO-led coalition in Afghanistan, is named in the group's complaint, too.

On Aug. 7, 2018, the Turkish newspaper Yeni Şafak, which also has strong ties to the president and routinely voices its support for his administration, then released images it says are of a memorandum detailing plans for martial law during the abortive coup with metadata that showed the author’s name was “John.” Turkish officials reportedly found the document while searching through Emails belonging to Hüseyin Ömür, who served as an aide to General Mehmet Partigöç, a military officer implicated in the plot to boot Erdoğan from office.
http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...air-base-and-arrest-of-u-s-military-personnel

Do they want some of this? Fucking bring it turkey, They better stand the fuck down.

Turdogans goons didn't worry about roughing people up in the US they are probably not going to be overly concerned about doing so on Turkish soil .

LMAO Time for the US to order a CIA coup

Today in ''yes, really, Turkey is actually a NATO country. Like, srsly.''

I don't like the idea of having nukes in a position where they are vulnerable to be confiscated. I don't think it is wise to keep some there anymore. Perhaps it is time to move them and also time to close that base down.

giphy.gif

Turkey should have been removed from NATO the day Erdogan came to power 16 years ago. They've gone down the path of being an Islamic dictatorship. Better get those nukes out of the country ASAP, since I'm not sure how rational Erdogan will be when the Turkish economy collapses in a few months.

Turkey should have been removed from NATO the day Erdogan came to power 16 years ago. They've gone down the path of being an Islamic dictatorship. Better get those nukes out of the country ASAP, since I'm not sure how rational Erdogan will be when the Turkish economy collapses in a few months.
well, the plan was to remove him and let them stay in nato. win win. but it backfired.

the turkish economy is collapsing ?

I remember the coup attempt a few years ago. Man that was insane.

Correct me if Im wrong, but wouldnt that essentially be an act of war?

Went through IAB a few times traveling between US and another ME shithole.

Air Force DFAC might be the best thing in that entire country.

Back